September 5th, 2011

Red Cross granted access to Syrian detention facility

The International Committee of the Red Cross has been granted access to a detention facility in Syria for the first time since unrest broke out in the country, the committee's president said Monday after meeting with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

ICRC President Jakob Kellenberger called the breakthrough "an important step forward for our humanitarian activities in Syria."

Kellenberger's meeting with al-Assad occurred amid mounting reports of bloodshed by Syrian security forces.

On Monday, security forces killed six people during an ongoing crackdown in the province of Homs, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition activist group.

Syria has been engulfed in public protest for months, and the regime has been accused internationally of a crackdown on peaceful demonstrators. The government has maintained that it is targeting armed terrorists. But opposition activists say it is a systematic, sustained slaughter.

"Ensuring that the sick and the wounded have access to medical care will be among the particularly urgent humanitarian challenges to be addressed with the Syrian authorities," the Red Cross said in a statement.

The committee will initially be allowed to see only people detained by the Ministry of Interior, Kellenberger said, adding, "We are hopeful that we will soon be able to visit all detainees.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Syria
  1. George Patton

Thank you, banasy. You’re the first blogger here to have said the right thing @11:43. I too get awfully sick and tired of all this left-wing propaganda glorifying Assad.I am a mindless Tea Partier trolling everyone's names and posts here because I'm a dick!!!

September 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tom Posey

I can't help it.
    I have nothing to say that's original, so I keep saying the same thing over and over using stolen names. This way I figure no one is going to figure out that I'm unoriginal and rather dim. I know everyone is onto my stupid childish game, but I for one like to be an annoying piece of sh!t because that's what I am.

September 5, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pink Panther

Good post Tom Posey,you said it all!!!

September 5, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Fake banasy

Good post Tom Posey,thank you!!!

September 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Fake Ruffnutt

Good post Tom Posey, Pink Panther, Fake banasy,you've said it all!!!

September 5, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Travis

I have a hunch that the same mindless Tea Partier is trolling all these posts here! Since he can't think of anything intelligent to say, like any other Tea Partier, all he can do is to ridicule others foe his self-amusement! Hoe so simple-minded these Tea Partiers are!!!

September 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Travis

I am the same mindless Tea Partier that is trolling all these posts here! Since I can’t think of anything intelligent to say, like any other Tea Partier, all I can do is to ridicule others foe my self-amusement! Hoe simple-minded I am as a Tea Partier!!!
    I also can't spell 'for' or 'how' either!!! I'm repulsive!!!

September 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodi

right now about 100 to 150 tweets a mtniue are happening on the two primary hash tags for this event but still not showing as a trending topic at all on Twitter. Really wondering if twitter can still be used to coordinate protests or if this is just an arbitration that twitter will respond to.

April 22, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Syrian Guard

Now prisoner... We're treating you well yes? *click clack*

September 5, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Gadafi

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has it right. Kill them. Kill them all before they can breed and make more.

September 8, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |