Three dead, six wounded in shooting at Carson City IHOP
September 6th, 2011

Three dead, six wounded in shooting at Carson City IHOP

[Updated at 4:18 p.m.]

[Updated at 4:18 p.m.] Five of the nine people who were shot Tuesday were members of the National Guard, a spokesperson told CNN affiliate KRNV. Two were killed and the other three are being treated in area hospitals.

[Updated at 2:18 p.m.] At least two of the victims killed at a shooting in a Carson City, Nevada, IHOP restaurant were military members who were wearing their uniforms, Chuck Allen with the Nevada Highway Patrol said Tuesday.

Police were still looking into the shooter's possible motive, Allen said, but officials were taking precautions in case military personnel were specifically targeted.

"When you have people in uniform randomly targeted ... we take that seriously," Allen said.

Heightened security measures are in effect in military bases in northern Nevada, affiliate KRNV reported, citing a National Guard spokesperson. The restaurant is located about three miles from Nevada National Guard headquarters, so it would not be unusual for service members to be eating there, the spokesperson added.

[Updated at 2:10 p.m.] Three people were killed and six others were wounded Tuesday in a shooting at a Carson City, Nevada, IHOP restaurant, police said.

Those six victims did not include the shooter, who police said turned a gun on himself.

It "appears its going to be difficult for him to survive," Ken Furlong with the Carson City's Sheriff's Office said about the gunman.

"He was still breathing," he added.

Furlong said that currently the situation appears to be contained to the one strip mall.

"Right now it appears as though there was one shooter," Furlong said. "There does not appear to be safety concerns outside of this area."

Furlong confirmed reports that a semi-automatic weapon was used during the shooting. Some of the victims "appeared to be military folks," he said.

Officials are still investigating any possible motive.

[Updated at 1:48 p.m.] One person has been confirmed dead after a shooting at a an IHOP in Carson City, Nevada, police have told The Reno Gazette-Journal.

Lt. Rob Van Diest of the Reno Police Department also told the paper that eight people have been transported to the hospital.

[Posted at 1:46 p.m.] Seven people were shot after a man walked up to an IHOP in Carson City, Nevada, and shot a man on a motorcycle before walking inside the restaurant and opening fire, The Reno Gazette-Journal is reporting.

The owner of a store in the same shopping mall told the newspaper that he saw a man wearing a red shirt and black shorts pull up to the store in his blue minivan, take out a rifle and shoot a man on a motorcycle. The man then walked into the IHOP and began firing, the owner, Ralph Swagler, told the Gazette-Journal.

After shooting inside the IHOP, Swagler told the paper that the shooter then turned his gun to his store and began firing. He then pointed toward an H&R Block in the same mall and shot again.

CNN affiliate KNRV reports it is being told other nearby businesses are on lockdown.

Nevada Highway Patrol Northern Command spokesman Chuck Allen told CNN his agency is assisting the Carson City Sheriff’s office at the scene but offered no more details

CNN affiliate KOLO said there were reports that the shooter was "taken down," but officials could not confirm that detail.

KOLO reported that at least two women and a man were airlifted from the location. At least one other victim was taken to a hospital by ambulance.

Witnesses report hearing a semi-automatic weapon

1. Squirrel Hunter

This is why i eat at Waffle House. Can't beat the chicken fried steak and 2 eggs over easy special and that waitress Darlene aint bad eether.

September 6, 2011 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

Comparing waffle house to IHOP is like comparing raw sewage to drinking water. 😉

September 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sniffit

And then there was Denny's...

September 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • dan

yea, funny until your FAMILY is one of the victim moron!!

September 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Feast of Beast

I like waffle house better too. For one thing, it's cheaper, and Ihop doesn't have decent hashbrowns.

September 6, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mike

Arm the criminals, unarm the soldiers. How is that working out for you Feinstein? Pilosi? Obama? WHERE ARE YOU?

September 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sniffit

The only gun laws that Obama has passed have loosened restrictions on ownership and where they may be carried, etc. I;'m very sorry that the facts don't fit the talking points beamed into your head through your tinfoil hat.

September 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimbo Coles

Really? Blaming a whacko gunning people down at an Ihop on politicians? That makes sense.

September 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

Your comment is almost too stupid to respond to, but I just can't let it go. What does having civilians armed do except make them look dorky? Why did the law disarm people within town limits in the old west? Because it was a fact that stupid is that stupid does – translation: if you run around armed, you might injure someone. If you had a brain, you could use it, but given your post, I think it's absent. You mentioned Pelosi, Feinstein, and Obama, but conveniently forgot LaPierre – isn't he just the saddest person? btw, I grew up wtih hunting guns, but didn't need them for protection – either from animals, nor humans because yes, I have a brain, and use it.

September 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Correct Mike

First, my deepest condolences for the people that lost loved ones today…

Second, Mike if you think the Dems put out laws to give guns to the criminals, you are an idiot. I doubt republicans do this intentionally but I don't see how you can blame the political group that actually wants to limit guns to people... Isn’t that why gun sales went up after Obama became president? The crazies all think Obama is going to take them away!
      Again I reiterate that you are an idiot!

September 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • guest

Elizabeth, I'm sure your brain would have protected you just fine against those bullets. No thank you, I will take my brain and my 2nd amendment. If you are legally allowed to buy a gun, you should be legally allowed to carry it just for this situation. I'm sorry if defending myself and my family doesn't fit in with your nanny state ideal.

September 6, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Really?

Very unfortunate. Another reason to live your life like it's golden. Never know when it may end.

September 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DonJose

Let's see. He is a US citizen who took advantage of his Second Amendment rights. Another feather in the cup of the NRA and gun industry.

September 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamison

committing murder isnt covered under 2A sorry to burst your bubble.

September 6, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sniffit

Turn up your sarcasm detector Jamison.

September 6, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whatever

No he is another criminal that took some peoples lives! 2nd amendment and NRA be damned, he would have done this anyways. Do people not understand that criminals will get guns whether they are legal or not? Honestly, the guy went out to kill someone. Do you think he would have stopped to take the time and think it over? Ummmm guns are illegal, I guess I cant go out and kill anyone today, might as well stay home and watch some TV! If anyone in that IHOP had been armed the results would probably have been different and you would be praising a hero, not condemning guns.

September 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bikerbabe

Hey Jeff . .couldn't have said it better myself . . .!

September 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chris0369

This is one reason Marines are not authorized to wear cammies out in town. Leave to the other branches to let their service members advertise who(m) they're affiliated with only to have a target on thier back.

September 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

This target keeps a 40 cal with his ACU's ( keep that in mind) I'm sure you are NOT a marine.

September 6, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris0369

Yeah, ok "Army Overlord" <-sounds like you play War of Worldcraft too much. "Be all you can be"...oh wait!! it's "Army of One".<-not a team player. Oh wait...Army "Strong"...yeah until the Marines, have to bail you out again...like Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan....etc etc. We're not nation builders, but somehow we keep having to save you. "Hoo ah" should be "who us"?

September 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

Like I said troll, It seems you are just a fool who needs a hug. You know nothing about Marines or Soldiers for that matter. World of warcraft sounds like your kind of game. BTW Be all you can be has been gone for over a decade. I guess you are still stuck in the 80's loser. 😉

September 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris0369

@ Army Overlord – whatever boot. You obviously joined the Army cause the Marine Corps was too hard for you. Or was it because your ASVAB score wasnt' high enough? Oh wait...you couldn't graduate from High School.

September 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

@ the troll (because so many people are writing on my post right now 😉 You sure are stuck on stupid boy. I bet one months paycheck you didn't serve two weeks in the Marines. Fake A$$ internet warrior. I served with plenty of marines. Why don't you look up JTF 160 Operation Sea Signal and tell me what you learned. Also look up Operation OverLord. Class Dismissed Troll. 😉

September 6, 2011 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gung hoe's mama's pimp

freind or foe ?

September 6, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ckwon

we should ban knives, they kill people too.

September 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamison

dont forget cars, planes, bats, pipes, bricks, TV's, sharp sticks, etc.

September 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sherry

Wow, I cant believe with NV being an open-carry state that no one had a gun and fired back?! I live in Fallon, only an hour away, and stuff like this is precisely why my gun goes with me everywhere, especially if they start targeting my fellow servicemen/women!

September 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamison

the only thing i can think of is the restaurant bans firearms, being a private establishment they can do that so.

September 6, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sniffit

Why is that so shocking? Facts and statistics show that's not how it works.

September 6, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • guest

Yeah, Jamison is right. it's unfortunate that law-abiding citizens couldn't defend themselves, if that was the case. I'm thinking perhaps the shooter didn't read the sign or couldn't read, because why else would he take a loaded gun in there and start shooting. He should have read the sign and also known the law. After all we have laws for a reason right? Last I heard it's still illegal to kill people by any means, including guns. No thanks I'll take my right to defend myself.

September 6, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mike

Good thing states like Nevada and Arizona (Tucson) have such liberal gun laws. People are much safer when everybody is armed.

September 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. U.S.Army-OverLord

From what I read these guys might have just been in the wrong place in uniform. This nut job does not seem to have any pattern to what he was targeting. Who the hell shoots up IHOP anyway!?!

September 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sherry

Chris0369, I'm in the military and the only branches I know of that are allowed to wear their cammies out in town are the Air Force and Army. Other branches are only supposed to wear them at short stops like gas stations and only in restaraunts during working hours.

September 6, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • you gotta be kidding me....

sherry, the rule is the same across the board service wide. as you stated servicemen and women are only to wear their BDU's/ACU's on short stops when off post/base. its virtually impossible to not be seen in them since not everyone lives on post and there is business to be taken care of off the installation.

September 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gung hoe's mama's pimp

it s really up to you.

September 6, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. km

hey gun nuts...where were all the heavily armed regular citizens who are ready to spring into action during one of these massacres? nevada is a CC state...so is texas,arizona....i guess all the gun totin' grandmothers and school kids were somewhere else gunnin' down the bad guys,eh?

September 6, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

A lone wolf is difficult to stop. He could have just as easily killed you with a knife.

September 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whatever

Just because you can carry doesn't mean you are carrying! If I am running down to IHOP for a nice breakfast, I am probably not thinking I am going to need to arm myself.

September 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • guest

Also, some business don't allow guns, thus hurting the law-abiding in a case such as this.

September 6, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. USARMY_SFC_Retired

Mike – You are an idiot that trolls just to make stupid comments. You must realize that if every person was armed at all times (even while eating breakfast) that there would be a lot more articles like this one. Then you want to blame the issue on Democrats? Why, because maybe it's a good idea that people don't have access to 30 round magazines? I would like to think that after 10 rounds I might have a chance to tackle this guy while he is reloading. Again, I state that you are an idiot!

September 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |