September 7th, 2011

Mystery video of D.C. bus driver and passenger sparks inquiry

A video uploaded to YouTube appears to show a Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority bus driver aggressively wrestling a would-be passenger away from the bus door and out of it onto the ground.

A spokesman with the Metro Transit Authority confirms to CNN that it is investigating the video. Spokesman Steven Taubenkibel said that investigators don't believe the video was staged.

Local TV news stations began showing the video on Tuesday. "We don't know when this occurred, we don't know the date, the time, bus number and bus route and it's all part of our follow up," said Taubenkibel.

"We would like to talk with the person who filmed the video," he said. "It does appear to be one of our drivers."

1. la boof

I didn't know that girl was the bus driver's daughter! When will I learn to keep my hands to myself.....?

September 7, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jan

they'don't know the bus number? clearly shows #42 on the video...and the route for the 42 bus is on their own website...smh

September 7, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Texan

The bus number is on the front of the bus: 2154

September 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

It looks to me like that the bus in picture is not the bus in the video. The video clearly appears to have been taken at night.

September 8, 2011 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. Chutney blumpkin

Bus drivers deal wit drunk disorderly people all the time. No surprise.

September 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. donniem

42 is the route number, not the bus number. There are individual bus numbers and, if it works in DC like it does here at NYCT Transit, if they have the approximate time of day they can figure out who is assigned to that bus. There is no excuse for what happened, if it is authentic. Here at least, the proper protocol would be for the driver to take the bus out of service and call for police help to deal with the passenger. Unless defending himself a driver should not be interacting this way - it is dangerous for both the passenger and the driver (the passenger could be armed.)

September 7, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • f

He got him off the bus and kept the bus on schedule. Great job.

September 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

OK, I was about to post the bus number and route number sarcastically, but a couple of people beat me to it. Is there any other detective work that the DC transit authority need help with? Water is wet and fire is hot. The people in the video appear to be humans.

September 7, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DD

Duh. That was canned video of an example of a DC bus not the bus in question. That was shot by a passenger inside the bus. Put on your thinking caps people

September 7, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • BvrDawg

Glad to see someone actually thinks.

September 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. raven

I dont get video on my phone.. what happened ?

September 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. s kel

Humm the #42 bus is on Minn ave NE , DC. Lol yeah it can get like that, I dont blame the driver, ran a shooting on that bus route one time.

September 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. A white dude

it appears a black man is pushing a white guy off the bus......50 years ago it was just the opposite. something to ponder.

September 7, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • DebS

the skin tone looks the same to me. Stop trying to make this a race thing.

September 8, 2011 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
    • f

They both look quite black to me on my computer screen.. Maybe I'm color blind.

September 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. HZ

Nothing to ponder at all except why you focus on the skin color instead of just thinking that 'two men' were involved.

September 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

If gender can play a part and be mentioned...why can't race?

September 8, 2011 at 7:01 am | Report abuse |
    • citizenUSA

@ Michael,

Are you offended if someone called you, "a man"? There's no reason to even point out ethniticity unless the person is a fugitive or missing and a description is given to help with finding the person. We see what's what. Just because the driver is African-American and the passenger is Caucasian doesn't mean there was any racial motivation but doesn't mean there wasn't either. If there was then the story needs to be told to educate the ignorant people of all races.

September 8, 2011 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. I was there man you dont know...

Bus drivers in Detroit will let people ride if they don't have money just to keep things moving.

September 8, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. Beefburger

Maybe it was a LBGT issue? Everything else is, why not this?

September 8, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. citizenUSA

It appears the driver was wrong. Although we don't know the exact details, the passenger didn't seem to be doing anything but wanting to pay and ride the bus. As the narration in the video says, the driver should have called the police. It's been a loooong time since I've ridden a bus, but in Los Angeles, it had been tradition to hire ex-convicts to drive the buses because there was so much trouble on them.

September 8, 2011 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  15. f

"We don't know when this occurred, we don't know the date, the time, bus number and bus route and it's all part of our follow up," ... WHAT ?? Seems pretty clear to me it is Bus Line #42 and bus #2154 during the day, and parked across the street from a large office building with a parking garage in it while on its regular route.
    I offer my services to the bus company for $10,000. You pay me and I will find that bus !

September 9, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |