Remote Alaska volcano might erupt soon, experts say
This aerial photograph from August 2011 shows the Cleveland Volcano's summit crater.
September 7th, 2011

Remote Alaska volcano might erupt soon, experts say

Alaska's Cleveland Volcano could soon be leaking from its flanks if the lava inside continues to build up, officials at the Alaska Volcano Observatory reported.

The observatory reported that the volcano's lava dome was 262 feet in diameter on August 30 and has now expanded to 394 feet.

"The presence of the lava dome increases the possibility of an explosive eruption, but does not necessarily indicate that one will occur," the observatory said. "Short-lived explosions could produce an ash cloud that exceeds 20,000 ft above sea level."

The observatory said it did not expect air travel problems if the volcano erupted.

Because "the small lava dome in the summit crater has resumed growth and now fills the floor of the crater," the observatory is raising its alert level.

The remote volcano is in the Aleutian Islands, about 940 miles southwest of Anchorage.

Because the volcano is in such a remote area, the observatory webcam feed has experienced technical difficulties. But you can still check the webcam here.

1. physics-lite

I would say that is about to blow its top.

September 7, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. John

Hey Bachmann, is this God telling Palin to shut up?

September 7, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

I'll bet Sarah can see it from her kitchen.

September 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Hey Steve, only if she has a telescope from her hacienda in Arizona.

September 7, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

I hate when thing leak from its flanks.

September 7, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

I hate when things leak from its flanks.

September 7, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |

September 7, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. NONEOFYOURBUSSINESS

NOISEY PEOPLE SUCK

September 7, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

@NOYB:
    You can hear noisy people through your computer?

Oh, you mean NOSY people.
    Never mind.

September 7, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  8. Yeddo

What's bussiness?
    A great love of selling kisses?

September 7, 2011 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

@Yeddo:
    Nicely done.

September 7, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat2u

Mother earth is trying to tell us that she is mad as heck, and she ain't gonna take it anymore. Shoot, you'd be made to if someone was constantly digging holes in you, setting off bombs in and above you, sucking out all the juices from inside you. ( well, that last one IS enjoyable ). But my point is, she's just paying us back for torturing her for all these millenia. Hang on people. Gonna be a whole lotta shakin goin on.

September 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth72

Your quite a bit off. Might want to start looking to Jesus. These things were prophesied 1900+ years ago. Put it all together and you will realize it's not your false deity "mother earth". Where's your scientific evidence of global warming (which you didn't even mention, but is a conspiracy theory among many mother eartherists), and other things that you mentioned humans do that is causing this many volcanoes to blow and earthquakes to happen in a short time. There isn't any. Scientists are puzzled. Matthew 24, read it all.

September 7, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

I am sorry but what is it scientists are puzzled about again?

September 7, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ???

And there's a mountain of evidence supporting Jesus as the cause of these volcanic eruptions and earthquakes WHERE exactly? Oh, I'm sorry I missed your scientific reference to Matthew...... well played, Sir...

September 7, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous...

@thetruth72–I'm not sure if "mother earth" is being referenced as a "deity". The idea of "mother earth" has been around for ages. Yes, it was originally pagan, but now people often use it casually. It's like someone saying "Oh, god." (of course they really shouldn't but that's beside the point). They don't mean it literally, it's an expression. And also a nice concept. 🙂

(and just FYI, I am Christian. It's not just me criticizing your faith-and I'm sure you *obviously* seem to have plenty.)

September 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat2u

And now a word from our sponsors.

September 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Marie MD

Send the ex governor there instead of south Korea. She won't know the difference!

September 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Shannon

Im still waiting for Yellowstone to explode. Now that's entertainment.

September 7, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Mass extinctions are guaranteed good television ratings.

September 7, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

Yeah, the day that thing starts swelling is the day I start looking for plane tickets as far away as I can get.

September 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Screw that, the day that thing starts showing signs of eruption is the day I hide in the bomb shelter with 10 years worth of freeze-dried food and a good rifle.

September 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MadAsAMoose

I think the volcano is waiting for Palin to return from her tour through the states.

September 7, 2011 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TheTruth72

I think I missed the phone number. Darnit, I can't call now to get those great deals!

September 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |