September 9th, 2011

6.7-magnitude earthquake near Vancouver

A 6.7 magnitude earthquake struck near Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Friday afternoon, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The epicenter was about 175 miles west of the city of Vancouver and nearly 50 miles underground.

There was no immediate danger of a tsunami, authorities said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Canada • Earthquake
  1. Martin

My boss saw the lights swaying in Richmond, B.C., a suburb of Vancouver, and my wife felt it in Burnaby, B.C., in her office building.
    But I was oblivious and in my car fetching lunch for my kids.

September 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Richmond will be under water when the big one hits. Get out while you can.

September 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • dick

Why is your wife the bread winner? Don't you have balls?

September 9, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • beermorebeer

@dick - Look who's the dick.

September 9, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Sounds like they BOTH work, Dick. Like most families. Reading comprehension a bit of a problem, Dick?

September 9, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pdiddy

I'm replying just to type Dick.

September 9, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John

I live in Friday Harbor, about 180 miles from the epicenter. Didn't feel a thing.

September 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bandar

Nytimes says its about 17 miles underground. I wonder if it matters how deep the source of the fault is.

September 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • usgsnerd

Yes.. it plays a big factor in the amount of damage done at the surface - the more shallow, the more damage. So high magnitude and deep can be less damaging than a lower magnitude but shallow quake.

September 9, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • deadend70

Generally, the more shallow the quake, the more it is felt on the surface. The deeper the quake, the more likely the area will receive aftershocks. These weren't deep quakes, maybe the water served as a buffer.

September 9, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Deena

To Bandar: Yeah it definitely makes a difference how deep it is. The one on the east coast was much smaller but not very deep at all so more people felt it. Im sure lots felt this one but there were probably many that didn't notice it too much.

September 9, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bandar

Thanks for the info guys. It makes sense.
      @ usgsnerd- Cool name!

September 9, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jordan scene©

The end is nigh!!!! Quickly everybody to your churches, temples, mosques, synagogues, lodges, cemeteries, or wherever it is people go to worship a diety, and beg for salvation!!! The sky is falling, the earth is splitting open, fire and brimstone will soon be spewing from Alaska, and the 10 year anniversary terrorist attacks are right around the corner... This clearly indicates the end of days! (Just kidding, no offense anybody) I really hope there wasn't any exstensive damage or loss of life. Best wishes to our neighbors to the north!

September 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JRYDAF

If it didn't happen in America I don't care.

September 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yvonne

Vancouver Island is only miles from the US. Maybe you should learn your geography.

September 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emmett

If I am not mistaken, Tokyo is also only miles from the US etc.

(Sorry couldn't resist)

September 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Durvish

Yes, you are correct! The US is only miles from Tokyo. The US is also only miles from the moon!

September 9, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • First *s* in Tsawwassen is Silent

And the US is on the precipice of disaster and miles from redemption.

September 9, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lindy

You're kidding, right?

America thinks it's the centre of the universe. Look at your economy, the bozos who want to replace Obama, the lies of weapons of mass destruction, the lack of universal health care ... yeah, we're just kilometres away. Stay on your side, OK?

September 9, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robo

Maybe you should learn to read.

September 9, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Strangely, Mars is only miles from the US as well. And from everywhere else.

September 9, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allan

But since Vancouver Island is in Canada it would be KILOMETERS from the US.

September 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nixo

lol...darn metric system

October 4, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Gus Gnatz

Earthquake!!!

September 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Keksi

Is everyone safe in NYC?

September 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zeensauce

lol I hope that comment was a joke

September 9, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Keksi

A little.
      🙂

September 9, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Jetson

No one is safe in NYC...

September 9, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubbles

"We got rats on the west side, bed bugs uptown. What a mess – this town's in tatters"

September 9, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Christina

Was on 23 floor in dt Van... Swayed like crazy for a good 30 secs! SCARY.

September 9, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

Likewise - I was on the 28th floor and it swayed for a while, slowed down, then started swaying again. I could tell from the tapping of the blinds against the window, which stopped for a few seconds as the sway lessened, then started up again. Very strange feeling.

September 9, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Aaron

Wow Scary downtown Van hole building rocked... still feel dizzy.

September 9, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pfft

Felt it in Coquitlam...thought I'd had too much to drink at lunch for a minute there!

September 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. stacey

didn't feel it in my office in downtown vancouver, but apparently our CEO was in another building and he could feel it swaying

September 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nelsie

I work in Bellevue Washington on the 11th floor and the whole building was swaying and the blinds were dancing.

September 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

That's odd because I work in Seattle and I've been at my desk for the last 3 hours on the 22nd floor of our building and I didn't feel a thing...

September 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

II work on the 16th floor in Bellevue and didn't feel a thing. I was walking around though and some of my co-workers who were sitting down said they felt dizzy.

September 9, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ron

I live in East Vancouver & didn't feel a thing. Everyone tells us & has been asking us to prepare for an Earthquake on a scale that can do massive damage. Schools are being Seismically upgraded.
    We live in an Earthquake zone!

September 9, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BeagleWonKenobi

I find it interesting that I can get this information from CNN.com but our local newpapers websites' have nothing up yet.

September 9, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nat

CBC had it on their site four minutes after it happened.

September 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. It's Me

Check out this newspaper article in Mississippi.

September 9, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |