September 9th, 2011

6.7-magnitude earthquake near Vancouver

A 6.7 magnitude earthquake struck near Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Friday afternoon, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The epicenter was about 175 miles west of the city of Vancouver and nearly 50 miles underground.

There was no immediate danger of a tsunami, authorities said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Canada • Earthquake
  1. Melissa

Thanks, I was worried about a tsunami, I have family in Penticton. Yeah, its a fair ways away, but still. Its not like they get alot of major quakes there. This is the first time I've heard of one in the 35 years I've been alive.

September 9, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Canadian

Not to belittle your geography.....but for Penticton to get hit by a tsunami....it would have to travel about 400 miles inland and be 4,000 feet hight....pesky little mountain ranges in the way.

September 9, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

Thanks Joe Canadian for clearing that up – when Melissa said she was worried about Penticton, my knees started to shake here in Edmonton ...

September 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@Answer:

Absolutely true.
    And hilarious!

Hope everyone is ok with our neighbors from the North.

September 9, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Teri

Just spoke with my dad who lives In Sooke (on the island) and he said they didn't feel it BUT I just watched a program on the NG channel called Monster earthquakes and let me put it to you this way..dad I am begging you to get off the island.! For the few who posted **stupid/ignorant* comments on here you need to get educated....Yes the island has had the **myth** it is going to be hit with a quake and sink for a couple hundred years..the particular fault line that Victoria Island is on erupts approximately every 300 years ,the first recorded in 1400 the last being in the 1700's so you do the math

September 9, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • confused

It will sink for a couple hundred years? What happens after that? Will it rise up again?

September 9, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Walter

rise to the leaves of Everest!

September 9, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Walter

levels*

September 9, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teri

hmmm people and stupid comments. **for those who are much brighter than the 2 that replied I know I don't have to correct it for you! but for the couple who couldn't figure it out I will type really really slowly this time so you don't get confused..it should have read ****** Yes the island has had the **myth** it is going to be hit with a quake and sink for a couple hundred years..*** OH WAIT that is what it should have read!!! now do you understand?..let me make it a bit clearer then..for the last ""couple hundred years"" it has been said the island will sink from an earthquake...duh! people!

September 9, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • VIslander

It's Vancouver Island, not Victoria island. This is getting exhausting.

September 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bazza201

Please...it's VANCOUVER Island, not Victoria Island...

September 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Teri

is it an island? is it called Victoria? yes to both...people really need to grow up

September 9, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • VanIslander

In my 39 years here, I've never heard it referred to as Victoria Island – The name of the Island you are trying to educate people about is "Vancouver Island"

September 9, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Marcus14006

Don't forget about the ultimate earth-f**cker-Yellowstone's super-volcano. It's overdue, and the earth's crust there is rather thin. All of this activity is related.

September 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Canadian

That's because we are approaching the time of the Zombie Apocalypse!

September 9, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

The butterfly effect does not apply to volcanism. Earthquakes *can* trigger minor eruptions, Indonesia is a good example, however hotspots and supervolcanoes like Yellowstone, Toba, Hawaii, Iceland, etc are fairly independent of what subduction zones do. Relax and enjoy the fireworks. Yellowstone has a LONG time to go before it erupts. You can monitor all of the activity at the YVO website.

September 9, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Emmett

Very surprised to read about this online. Never felt a thing in Nanaimo, Vancouver Island.

It must be due to the fact that I am in a house not a highrise.

There is over twenty miles of water between my place and Vancouver and we are on the earthquake side.

September 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

Nobody ever feels anything in Nanaimo. That's just the kind of place it is.

September 9, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nanoosey

I live in Nanaimo,I have Earthquake Insurance on my house and cold beer in my fridge and other provisions,its all good

September 9, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mary

Isn't there a huge fault in the upper northwest region in the ocean?
    I heard it is one that is about due to go... Since i live on the west coast... I suspect with all the quakes. It could happen..
    Then there should be a tsunami...

September 9, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe Canadian

Yep, the one that can produce (and has produced at least 7) magnitude 9.0 quakes is the Cascadia Subduction Zone....google it....when that fault goes, well, it's Zombie Apocalypse time!

September 9, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

Yes, there is a fault in the Northwest.

September 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • leave your message at the sound of the tone

I was watching an episode of the Rockford Files when the earthquake occurred and that was filmed in the 70's. Clearly it must be related.

September 9, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Devon

I was once in Vancouver back in the 70's....I don't know if that particular anecdote helps here but there it is....

September 9, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • BeagleWonKenobi

Thanks for sharing...it definitely adds some nice context to the story.

September 9, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grassman

I to find that fascinating and was wondering if you could share where you went in the 80's?

September 9, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • HollowDonut

That's eerily similar to where I was in the '70s except I was in Seattle. I agree that it could be helpful to put this earthquke in context if we knew where everyone was in the '80s. I was in Los Angeles and Seattle, and spent varying amounts of time in several thousand other locations during that decade. Does that correlate with anything? Anything at all?

September 9, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bimbo the Birthday Clown

I was in my room listening to heavy metal in the 70s. And now this.

September 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mike

There are small tremors in Kingston, Ottawa, and Niagara region... i think it spread through a long fault line...

September 9, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Walter

I didnt feel a damn thing!! Im in Bellingham, Wa which is right next to Vancouver

September 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Thats because Bellingham is full of doped up hippies. You hippie you.

September 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • bunneh

Being in Ferndale, I can vouch for that.

September 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. curtrain

I live in Port McNeill (near the north tip of Vancouver Island). I had the day off so I was lying on the grass in the back yard, enjoying the rare sunshine with a bottle of wine. I felt the ground move in almost every direction beneath me. Nothing too severe, but I was definitely paying cloe attention to brick chimney when the afreshock hit.

September 9, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. David

STOP IT ALL OF YOU. THERE'S TOO MUCH NEGATIVE ANTI-SEMITE COMMENTS HERE. THE JEWS ARE THE APPLE OF GOD'S EYE. JESUS SAVES.

September 9, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • shelly

Are you bloody serious?

September 9, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

there are no jews brah, we are all the same 🙂

September 9, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. valerie

It did? Really? I'm on Vancouver Island and didn't feel a thing.

September 9, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cj

i live in comox and it was definitely felt...it was a strong shake...no damage to our house...

September 9, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LindieLu

I felt it while sitting in my lazyboy chair in the living room. This was the second time its happened within a week! Definitely, this one was much stronger. Wanna know what I thought was happening? It felt as if one of the dudes living a floor below my high rise suite was copulating, the way it it kinda rolled around. Funny. That's exactly what I said about a Seattle quake that hit in the 90s.

September 9, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. logomito

it were two quakes and their depth was 10km, now changed into 22km, we all know what this means...

September 9, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |