September 9th, 2011

6.7-magnitude earthquake near Vancouver

A 6.7 magnitude earthquake struck near Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Friday afternoon, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The epicenter was about 175 miles west of the city of Vancouver and nearly 50 miles underground.

There was no immediate danger of a tsunami, authorities said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Canada • Earthquake
  1. Alex

everyone is talking about THE BIG ONE and where/when it will hit, let me tell u all that I've got THE BIG ONE and it's currently hitting my GF Natalie so don't be alarmed ur turn will come 🙂

September 9, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Matt

BTW a quake this small is nothing to write home about. Welcome to the Cascadia subduction zone. Quakes happen. Don't lose any sleep over it.

September 9, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

dang it I already lost some sleep

September 9, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Squid

December 21, 2012. Prepare yourself

September 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

I sure am! I'm buying up the stock market, because the days after, the worryness will be gone, and stocks will surge on the great news. besides, if it was the end of the world, what would I have to lose!

September 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zeensauce

For Christmas?

September 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • ac33

Y2K. Prepare yourselves..... oh wait

September 9, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. shootz

elenin the comet is coming.

September 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zeensauce

too bad it already disintegrated

September 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. George

Do you people understand this? So you see how deep this earthquake is? This is the end of the world people, do you know it now? Look up in the sky for the savior to appear any day now. Nostrodamus predicted this.

September 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zeensauce

So what are you doing on the computer? HURRY UP AND GET OUTSIDE AND GREET HIM!

September 9, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • AffiliatedByNature

STFU dude, go get laid....

September 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

fu*k yeah!

September 9, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben M

I'm sorry – why exactly are deep rather than shallow earthquakes more probematic from an apocalyptic point of view?

September 9, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

hal eh lu ya?

September 9, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • SlickWillie

I wish...

September 9, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • First *s* in Tsawwassen is Silent

More like Nostradamnation.

September 9, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vincent Dastra II

You do realize 50 miles is not deep concidering they are known to be as deep as 500 miles? You also realize that shallow earthquakes are more likely to cause more damage than deep ones due to more energy reaching the surface (I would assume you didn't though concidering you think/thought 50 miles is really deep)? Please educate yourself in science before you post unproven religious material that you make assumtions with. The world may or may not end, but your facts are wrong. I won't even begin to comment of your advice to look to the sky for the "savior".

September 9, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

Do you guys realize this article is about an earthquake in the Pacific Northwest?

September 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

no it's not that's what the empire wants you to think!

September 9, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • First *s* in Tsawwassen is Silent

uh huh...and?

September 9, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubbles

It is? I thought it was about armageddon, trailer parks, raykens, kittens and sh1thawks.

September 9, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rob

I'm in Seattle and about an hour or two ago, I swear I felt the building move back and forth for about a minute. I could just barely feel it, but heard creaks and saw a curtain rod begin to sway a little bit. At the time I wondered whether it was an earthquake. I know what you're thinking, and no, I don't have these sensations often.

September 9, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

lol

September 9, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex

best comment by far (so far)

September 9, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. I wonder

I wonder what an earthquake would feel like during s3x.

September 9, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Polopoint

Clearly, you've never felt the earth move then, eh?

September 9, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rob

I think, "get off the island" is just a bit radical. The quake was 50 miles deep, and was not even felt in most of Vancouver and Vancouver Island.....take note, that's VANCOUVER Island, not Victoria Island!

September 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Island Hippy

To clarify – Victoria is on Vancouver Island. Vancouver is NOT on Vancouver Island (it is not on an island unless you count a continent as an island).

September 9, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • First *s* in Tsawwassen is Silent

Hippy..., VanCity is not on an island, but parts of metro Vancouver are – Richmond, Sea Island, Annacis Island and a few small populated one like Barnston. Mitchell and Westham.

September 9, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. David

I live in Downtown Vancouver on the 10th floor and I definitely felt it! Floor was moving and the solarium I work out of was creaking like mad. Looked behind and the chandelier was swaying as well. It was exciting!

September 9, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mike

I'm in an Earthquake-proof building (so they tell me!) here in Vancouver. We're on the 16th floor, and we definitely felt it. You could hear the buidling creak, and a number of people experienced a dizziness sensation. It lasted for quite a few minutes. No damage reported anywhere, so far as we are aware. Understand the quake was deep and shallow, and no Tsunami expected. Hopefully, that's it!

September 9, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rob Delaney

Live in the capital city of Victoria, on Vancouver Island. First off, I can't believe some of the ignorant comments on here, grow up. Second, we barely felt it down here. We are on the southernmost tip of the Island. Vancouver Island is basically the top of a mountain range. Sink? Really people, go educate yourselves and get some basic knowledge before you spew off about the apocalypse etc. There are far worse things than earthquakes, and that would be lying politicians and being jobless, homeless, or hungry....those are day to day events we need to focus on. Quakes are quakes, they happen all the time, all over the world, and to fixate on stuff like that when you/we could be doing things that bring a better life to others is where our energies really need to go. I have lived through many earthquakes and I sure don't worry about the next one. Life is life, just get on with it.

September 9, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • e141

Thanks for the pep-talk Rob! I feel much better now. I'm going to focus my energy on a charity :/

September 9, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • SlickWillie

The statement on lying politicians couldn't be more true. Definitely a far greater threat. Glad to see my friends to the north have their eyes open to this. Sadly, most of your friends to the south in the 'States have NO CLUE.

Last good quake we had around here (Seattle) was the Nisqually Quake in '01. That one *was* definitely an attention-getter. Still have cracks in the foundation from that one.

September 9, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • First *s* in Tsawwassen is Silent

I'm going to continue to educate the masses that the first "s" in Tsawwassen is silent.

September 9, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nigel Hansen

Vancouver Island sink? No. A

Are you aware of what will happen if and when we do get the big one? Have a look at the alluvial floodplain of the Fraser River. The will shift violently into the straight of Georgia creating a rather large tsunami that will "soak" the Gulf Islands. This is fact, look it up. I am from the island, born and raised and have researched this more than the average joe.

September 9, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. me

Keep the quake up there Vancouver..we don't want to share any shaking with you in WA. 🙂

September 9, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bumpkin

Earth farts...

September 9, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Satan Himself

No, that was me.
      I tried to hold it in, I really did, but it escaped.
      Sorry.

September 9, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bunneh

you little devil! ):^D>

September 10, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  15. PLEASEDIE

Thermal subduction zones are not static, They are dynamic. The time frames are just outside current historical accounts. It is possible to have dramatic shifts and activity in short term geological time and then very stable periods with low activity. It is likely to be cyclic and already loaded for the finale. The domino effect is closer to probability than the butterfly effect.

September 9, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |