September 9th, 2011

6.7-magnitude earthquake near Vancouver

A 6.7 magnitude earthquake struck near Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Friday afternoon, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The epicenter was about 175 miles west of the city of Vancouver and nearly 50 miles underground.

There was no immediate danger of a tsunami, authorities said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Canada • Earthquake
  1. JIM

Was it on Victoria Island?

September 9, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • First *s* in Tsawwassen is Silent

Yes, off the coast of Wales.

September 9, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • itaintrelevant

Or maybe he's referring to the Victoria Island that's also known as Kitlineq, eh? Kind of up between Nunavut and the NW Territories? Nah... Scary thing is a lot of Canucks (never mind the yanks) don't even know it exists. Yes, Virginia, there is a Victoria Island in Canada. It's just not the "Victoria" most folks are used to hearing about. Sorry, but I'm not going to further enlighten them either – pretty obvious a lot of the dregs around here need a basic education in geography.

September 9, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. heather

So whether or not you felt it depended on the quality of the construction of the building that you were in. I see an advertising angle here.

September 9, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lin

And how high up in the building. My office is above the 40th floor, and we had some serious rocking and swaying happening here. Not fun.

September 9, 2011 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Traci

Usgs.gov says it was a 6.4.

September 9, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • dongleberry

a 6.4 what? is this a beauty pageant or a news website? get those details in there ppl!

September 9, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Louis

@dongleberry
      Sorry, he probably assumed people were using their brains.

September 9, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • workingstill

There were two of them. The first was 6.7, the second 6.4.
      Friday September 9 2011, 19:41:34 UTC 113 minutes ago Vancouver Island, Canada region 6.4 23.0 km deep

Friday September 9 2011, 19:41:30 UTC 113 minutes ago Canada 6.6 92.0 km deep

Friday September 9 2011, 19:41:30 UTC 113 minutes ago Vancouver Island, Canada region 6.7 2.0 km deep

September 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • workingstill

quakes globalincidentmap com

September 9, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alexander

I'm in Vancouver and didn't feel a thing.

September 9, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alan A.

I'm hundreds of miles away and I didn't feel a thing, either.

September 9, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jared

I didn't feel anything in Victoria either

September 9, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nope

In Brooklyn...nothing.

September 9, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • CelticHunter7

I'm 100 feet in the air, and I didn't feel anything either.

September 9, 2011 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • marblehead

I felt a small puff of air. I think there's a draft in here.

September 9, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Numbnutz

I'm just numb, so, no, I didn't feel a thing either.

September 9, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephen in Lachine

Montreal...3 beers...feeling great! Happy to hear everyone is safe.

September 9, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Didn't feel a thing in San Francisco

September 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • dpack

i am feeling not good . should go home and relax

September 9, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • ColdFish Carl

I, too, am unmoved.

September 9, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sammy

I live in a wobbly house with vibrations galore from the air conditioner. It would take at least an 8 on the Richter scale to even get my attention.

September 9, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex in Minneapolis

Nothing in Minneapolis either. 🙂

September 9, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. First *s* in Tsawwassen is Silent

How are far was the epicenter from Tofino? VanCity is a misleading measure, because 175 miles west of Vancouver is out in the Pacific and Vancouver Island (50 miles wide) is between the two. I'm such a Nootka!

September 9, 2011 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brad

I'm in Parksville and I heard a rumble and felt the ground move under me. Though I lived in California for about 10 years so I am pretty accustomed to them.

September 9, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

I saw pixels. I can tell because I've seen quite a few shops in my time.

September 9, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Minorkle

I was standing in Downtown Vancouver and it shook my body. My legs were like jelly!

September 9, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. a very small rock

I didn't feel a thing. I'm not a human being and have no nerve endings.

September 9, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dan Bednarik

I didn't feel anything in Maryland either.

September 9, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  10. 2/8

How the hell did Israel and Turkey come up in a news post about an earthquake in Vancouver?

September 9, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Recollections of Canadian EQ's

1.) I recall an EQ that hit Canada a couple of years ago. But it was west of this one, and ripped @ 5.0 (302 cu. in. to RUFFNUTT. he he...always picking on him) 2.) Other than that...don't recall any other big ones off hand. 3.) 6.7...wow. How many 5.0s does 6.7 add up to? It takes two 5.0s to equal one 5.1. Right? 3.) Anyone have a calculator handy?

September 9, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • CelticHunter7

The Quake Magnitude Scale is really comparing amplitudes of waves on a seismogram, not the STRENGTH (energy) of the quakes. So, a magnitude 8.7 is 794 times bigger than a 5.8 quake as measured on seismograms, but the 8.7 quake is about 23,000 times STRONGER than the 5.8! Since it is really the energy or strength that knocks down buildings, this is really the more important comparison. This means that it would take about 23,000 quakes of magnitude 5.8 to equal the energy released by one magnitude 8.7 event.

September 9, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jesus R Christ

Sorry everyone, had taco bell for lunch and dropped a big deuce and ripped a few big farts....farting over Canada is a daily thing for a guy like me....pffft

September 9, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ron

As many people of religous faih believe that God controls everything why do they pray for God to change that whish he has already deemed must hapen.The bible proclaims that God is the same Yesterday,today and forever

September 9, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth72

Not really sure what you are refering to, but I will try to explain from the understanding I get from your comment. Look at the book of Jonah. God said it would be destroyed. Jonah went into town, told people to repent of their sin. They repented and it was spared. Now, years later it did get destroyed, but we can delay prophesied things by repenting and obeying God.

September 9, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth72

Oops, forgot to mention the town name was Ninevah.

September 9, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lanfear

Felt nothing in Victoria! So glad it wasn't the big one.

September 9, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kim

My husband is hiking the West Coast Trail and I can't reach him. Does anyone have any info If it reached that far or if there is any threat of a tsunami? Please?????

September 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • verify

Kim,

The article says, "no immediate danger of a tsunami."

September 9, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • TheTruth72

Not sure where the West Coast trail is. I'm around Seattle and felt nothing. In fact slept through it on my lunch break. No tsunami warning that I have heard of. This didn't seem destructive from what I've heard.

September 9, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Verify, I read that but didn't know if anyone near there had an update. I'm WORRIED! The trail is on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

September 9, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • verify

Kim,

I understand. I would be concerned too, but it seems as if the danger is VERY low. Here's another article I ran across, dated about 30 minutes ago:

"A dispatcher for the RCMP in Tofino, the biggest community near the epicentre on the west coast of Vancouver Island, said the earthquake was barely felt there and no one had reported damage."

September 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |