Gotta Watch: Too old too soon?
One young pageant contestant shows off her false costume enhancements.
September 9th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Too old too soon?

Parenting isn't an exact science, which is probably why there's so much variation in technique from family to family. But sometimes, parents employ practices that raise eyebrows. Whether it's dressing a daughter up like a cinematic prostitute for a beauty pageant or giving your toddler fake breasts, you've gotta watch these controversial parenting choices.

Pageant enhancement – A toddler pays homage to Dolly Parton in a beauty pageant - complete with a set of fake breasts and padded butt.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/09/02/ex-pn-pageant-padded-bra.cnn"%5D

Botox baby mom – Which is more startling: a mother who claims to give her young daughter Botox so she can compete in beauty pageants, or a mother who later says her Botox tale was a hoax? You decide.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/05/20/exp.ac.ridiculist.faux.tox.mom.cnn"%5D

Do a little dance – These dancers caused controversy when their performance video went viral. Critics said the moves were too sexually suggestive for such young girls. But, the dancers’ parents totally supported the routine.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2010/05/14/sbt.too.sexy.too.soon.cnn"%5D

Too hot for tots? – Even this mom admits dressing her toddler like a prostitute for a beauty pageant may not have been the best idea, but she did think it was funny. With the inspiration coming from her favorite movie, watch this mother explain why she decided to dress her daughter like a character from "Pretty Woman."
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2011/09/08/behar-paisley-julia-roberts.hln"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Botox • Dance • Gotta Watch • Showbiz • TV
  1. raven

I dont see the harm. I mean other than turning these little girls into perv bait, making them vain, giving them complexes about their bodies and robbing them of their innocence. Whats the big deal ?

September 9, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • mjinmd

What's the big deal? All of the above.

September 9, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • seve

I think this is disgusting these parents should have their kids taking away for abuse, ruining their children's life for there own benefit should be illegal!

September 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melpa

does no one understand sarcasm anymore.

September 9, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mmmmm

What happen to that parent who only need to walk thru the door with simple a bag of peanuts or candy for their tiny screaming fans that are just happy to see them?

September 9, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Andrea M

All children these days are apparently allergic to peanuts.

September 9, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. raven

Thats a wonderful perspective Mmmmm. I love it.

September 9, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. George Patton

What's wrong with the parents of these children anyway? Don't they know about all the pedophiles out there creeping around? Before some Tea Partying troll blogs in here to condone what the parents are doing and call this acceptable bhavior in order to ridicule me, I just want to express my disapproval and urge the parents to be more discreet on how their toddlers are dressed.

September 9, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

raven and George Patton, I fully understand your sentiment and frustration. At the same time, these families want their children to compete in this arena. It is sad that some people out there don't see these little girls for what they are, cute children dressed up to be in a pageant. Why must there be complications in such an innocent activity?

September 9, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

That's because we're now living in a sick society with an army of pedophiles on the prowl. If the leaders in Washington paid half as much attention to these people as they do the Muslims halfway around the world, these kids may be able to live a safer life.

September 9, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Sunflower

If they want to dress up, why can't they dress up like a Disney character?????

September 9, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • dragonwife

And why can't they dress up in adorable AGE-APPROPRIATE clothing? There are so many cute things out there for little girls to wear, why should they have to dress up as mini-adults to compete? Nope, I raised three kids and have three grandkids, and bless my son and daughter-in-law for dressing their kids like kids and not like some sick adult's fantasy.

September 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

A beauty pageant for kids is wrong for starters, let alone dressing them up in outfits the parent will later throw a fit at if their teenage daughters dressed like that to go out.

September 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • 2B

I wouldn't want my wife dressed like that on stage.

I don't know what kind of man would OK this for his child. But for those that fail to understand,

I am sure Hugh Hefner, or your local Pimp is waiting to further the sentiment you instill in your children.

September 9, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Justen beiber

Is that little girl single?

September 9, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • What do you care?

You like boys anyway!

September 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I agree with Jerry

September 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MGF

Some of these parents are lusing these children to live their own fantasies. Have you seen some of these parents? They should be charged with child abuse in my opinion. To the writer above – do you actually think that pedophiles are not watching this program and getting off in their own sick way to these little girls parading around wiggling and jiggling. Gross! These parents are making these children who sometimes are as young as four years old wear false eyelashes, fake breasts, spray tanning, horrible make-up and even false teeth in order to look grown-up. That is child abuse in my opinion. I see some of these male judges and I can't help thinking in my head of they are not pedophiles – I'm sorry, but I do think that, it's very, very, creepy. It seems that these parents do not have jobs and need to fill their boring days at home with this insane nonsense. Most of the children are already telling their mothers what to do, having screaming temper tantrums, and some of the poor little kids are crying because they don't want to do it. I thought America was all about protecting children. The show should be off the air. What a horrible impression of America – especially southern states.

September 9, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • back at ya

It doesn't matter what the pedophiles are doing when they watch these girls. Who cares? They'll do that no matter what's on stage or on the street or beach or pool... What matters is the way these girls feel about themselves. The question should be how does this activity help or hurt the self-esteem of the girls? Does it make them sharper, wiser about how to present themselves? Is it making them think that they need to dress provocatively to get what they want? And can they deal with the consequences of dressing provocatively?

September 9, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Z_2k

@ MGF: "Some of these parents are using these children to live their own fantasies."

SOME ? You don't have to be a Wal-mart greeter to realize THAT.

September 9, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JAZZZZZZ

You tell them Justin. These girls are H O T. I think the older ladies are just jealous.

September 9, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I do not think that the above who posted is the real Jazzzzz. Hello troll. Why don't you use your own name?

September 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MGF

Justin and JAZZZZZZZ, you shouldn't make light of this conversation, as the exploitation of children is real, not only in America but around the world.

September 9, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JAZZZZZZ

When I was in pre K the girls sure didnt look like this! YOWZA !

September 9, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

True MGF, I agree. But that is not the real Jazzz. It is a troll. I do however, disagree with certain aspects of your post. For instance, I do believe that those are good parents who are proud of their children. No, I don't believe it is abuse at any degree what so ever. It is the perverted individuals that are the abusers. They are the one's that need help or jail time, not the parents.

September 9, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sharon

I do not agree with the little girl wearing enhancements for any reason, but I disagree more with CNN airing footage of her while she is in the middle of dressing.

September 9, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ken

I run courses for women on how to find rich husbands and how to be an appropriate trophy wife. Unfortunately I'm seeing younger and younger clients walk through my doors, some as young as 9 or 10...all the time goaded on by their status obsessed mothers...most of which are divorced after having been dumped by their husbands and they seek more fertile ground.

September 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |