Gotta Watch: Too old too soon?
One young pageant contestant shows off her false costume enhancements.
September 9th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Too old too soon?

Parenting isn't an exact science, which is probably why there's so much variation in technique from family to family. But sometimes, parents employ practices that raise eyebrows. Whether it's dressing a daughter up like a cinematic prostitute for a beauty pageant or giving your toddler fake breasts, you've gotta watch these controversial parenting choices.

Pageant enhancement – A toddler pays homage to Dolly Parton in a beauty pageant - complete with a set of fake breasts and padded butt.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/09/02/ex-pn-pageant-padded-bra.cnn"%5D

Botox baby mom – Which is more startling: a mother who claims to give her young daughter Botox so she can compete in beauty pageants, or a mother who later says her Botox tale was a hoax? You decide.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/05/20/exp.ac.ridiculist.faux.tox.mom.cnn"%5D

Do a little dance – These dancers caused controversy when their performance video went viral. Critics said the moves were too sexually suggestive for such young girls. But, the dancers’ parents totally supported the routine.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2010/05/14/sbt.too.sexy.too.soon.cnn"%5D

Too hot for tots? – Even this mom admits dressing her toddler like a prostitute for a beauty pageant may not have been the best idea, but she did think it was funny. With the inspiration coming from her favorite movie, watch this mother explain why she decided to dress her daughter like a character from "Pretty Woman."
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2011/09/08/behar-paisley-julia-roberts.hln"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Botox • Dance • Gotta Watch • Showbiz • TV
  1. LP

I think the pageants are pretty sick, but honestly, this costume isn't as bad as most of them. I would be a lot more disturbed if the kid came out with a head full of bleached, sprayed up hair and false eyelashes like a lot of the girls do. Putting on a costume that covers her up like this one isn't going to adversely affect her. Making her sit through an hour of makeup and telling her that it's the only way to be pretty would definitely do so.

September 9, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dx2718

I don't see any harm in the fake bust & butt for the Dolly Parton outfit. It's a COSTUME – just the same as wearing a tail or horns or cat ears for Halloween. However, anything invasive like botox – and anything you're forcing the kid to do which they clearly don't like and isn't actually GOOD for them – is crossing the line.

September 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Adam K

These people are gonzo! Listening to them defend their actions is actually painful. Forest Gump said it best "Stupid is as stupid does." Most of them have southern accents. Indefensible!

September 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • acreason

This really has nothing to do with southern accents. It is complete ignorance. These people think that they are doing well for their children but actually setting horrible examples for them. Beauty pageants should be outlawed from top to bottom. Why do we need the gratification of being awarded if we are beautiful?

September 9, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam K

You're 100% right it has nothing to do with the accents, but It does seem like a valid question as to why so many of these parents "seem" to come from the south. I may be way off base, and I do not want to offend. I think I just make some kind of connection to listening to Patsy Ramsey and remember wondering why a mother would make her child travel the country and do this. Although never really sure if she was innocent or guilty, it always seemd that if it wasn't the mother, it was some pervert affected by this behavior. Either way, I would argue, this behavior (the pagent obsession) is what ultimately killed her daughter.

September 9, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. AthensGuy

These pageants should be outlawed and considered child abuse. Have you ever seen how these so-called mothers treat their children, especially (but not only) when the kids lose?

September 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Meat Puppet

our moral compass is broken – this is beyond the pale of decency
    wonder what they are going to say when little Mary is pregnant in junior high

September 9, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whizerd

They will say "well, I didn't raise my child to be with people like this! I don't understand it. he/she was so good growing up. They took my son's/daughters innocence!!! Throw them in jail!!!"
      This will be coming from these parent's/caretakers mouths..when THEY are the ones that need locked up!

September 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rob

This is beyond disgusting. These parents should be arrested! Let your children grow up to be who they want to be, not what sick vision you have for them! The only people that would like this are the perverts!

September 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Whizerd

Anyone that dresses their child like this, and parades them around willingly with a smile on their face, should have the child taken away..PERIOD.
    I will be going to jail for kidnapping if I ever see this around me. I will take the child to authorities with my proof, and then GLADLY put my hands in front of me to be arrested. Will probably knock out some mothers and fathers while I'm there. I wouldn't go out and look for it so that I could...I figure there should be some other people in the area that this is happening that would do the same..but apparently, they are all inconsiderate sheeple too.
    As Adam said in these comments..."Stupid is as stupid does"...you can't fix stupid. The parents/caretakers/family members and friends that allow this to happen, are stupid, and should never be allowed to have children, and if they do have children, the children need to be taken away..
    Blessed Be to all.

September 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MJP

When little Mary is pregnant in junior high mom has to make sure she gets on the show teen moms. That is the next stop for these kids.

September 9, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Whizerd

They need to make a reality show called "Parents that need to go to jail". There would be NO shortage of contestants..for sure.

September 9, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Scrumps

This really is absolute insanity – Abuse, exploitation, etc.

September 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. d

duh.

September 9, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TODAY

THESE PARENTS SHOULD BE PROSECUTED

September 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. johnny

Welcome to pedophile theater! Pervs.

September 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • mary

Soo true... These shows are a pedophiles dream~!!
      It is disgusting, any of these "mother's" should know who is watching and what they are "probably" doing while watching...~!
      I would never put my child up for that.. These mothers need to be visited by child welfare and have their heads examined~!

September 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TODAY

AND THIS STUPID SHOW CANCELLED

September 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lisa

Omygoodness!!!! Where are their morals and descency??? Those women are not fit to be called mothers! I really feel sorry for the little girls and how they will grow up –what a pity... heart breaking...disgusting....where is the mothers. love for their children?? ...what? are they living some sick fantasy of their own through their babies? ... I agree with Ge-rob... they are just making them easy prey for sick pedophiles... who is worse??? pedophiles/ or the parents? or the justice system that is letting this go on? wow I am appalled......

September 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Charlie

Dumb-ass parents do this to their children.

September 9, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |