Gotta Watch: Too old too soon?
One young pageant contestant shows off her false costume enhancements.
September 9th, 2011

Gotta Watch: Too old too soon?

Parenting isn't an exact science, which is probably why there's so much variation in technique from family to family. But sometimes, parents employ practices that raise eyebrows. Whether it's dressing a daughter up like a cinematic prostitute for a beauty pageant or giving your toddler fake breasts, you've gotta watch these controversial parenting choices.

Pageant enhancement – A toddler pays homage to Dolly Parton in a beauty pageant - complete with a set of fake breasts and padded butt.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/09/02/ex-pn-pageant-padded-bra.cnn"%5D

Botox baby mom – Which is more startling: a mother who claims to give her young daughter Botox so she can compete in beauty pageants, or a mother who later says her Botox tale was a hoax? You decide.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/05/20/exp.ac.ridiculist.faux.tox.mom.cnn"%5D

Do a little dance – These dancers caused controversy when their performance video went viral. Critics said the moves were too sexually suggestive for such young girls. But, the dancers’ parents totally supported the routine.
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2010/05/14/sbt.too.sexy.too.soon.cnn"%5D

Too hot for tots? – Even this mom admits dressing her toddler like a prostitute for a beauty pageant may not have been the best idea, but she did think it was funny. With the inspiration coming from her favorite movie, watch this mother explain why she decided to dress her daughter like a character from "Pretty Woman."
[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2011/09/08/behar-paisley-julia-roberts.hln"%5D

Post by:
Filed under: Botox • Dance • Gotta Watch • Showbiz • TV
  1. jlsppw

What a joke, not to mention sad excuses for parents.

September 9, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bee

NOTHING "comical" about it. Horrible judgment on the mother's part.

September 9, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Just a thought

I get that this is an outrage, but the one thing that bothers me is this kind of reaction: "All this does is makes lustful thoughts"- Really? that's ALL this does? So men are just salivating idiots just ready to be turned on by little girls and it is our jobs as mothers to keep them safe and covered up, because if a little girl shows some skin, however unaware they may be, as clearly this little girl is- better keep those howling, salivating men at bay. Really? I GET that it is my responsibility to instill correct values into my daughter, which I plan on doing, but give men out there a little credit. Not EVERY man is just jumping at the bit to see a scantily clad toddler. The mother stood by her decision, and she had her reasons. She had a good point- prob shouldn't take your kid to the beach as to avoid pedophiles too. I guess I can't believe that all men/adolescents/boys are just pedophiles-in-waiting.

September 9, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • 20 Year Veggie

People aren't talking about men in general–at least they shouldn't. They are talking about pedophiles. And pedophiles are as far from real men as a stalk of broccoli. I would never confuse these defects with real men.

September 10, 2011 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. Anonymous...

Many people are truely idiotic. These parents are some of them.

September 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. George

I wonder what Perry's and Bachman's view on this is?

September 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Northern Light

I find this whole program of Toddlers and Tiaras very disturbing. These kids are thought at an early age that only the outside is important, they are very focussed on themselves. I watched this program once, its is pretty sick.

September 9, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lyndsie Graham

I feel the same way you do, Northern Light. Kids should never be exibited like that. What's wrong with the parents anyway and what are they thinking? I'd never do such a thing to my kid!!!

September 9, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. George

Those Parents should be sent to Libya or Somalia and left to rot.

September 9, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lmao

so how much per hour?

September 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. j

why are these people allowed to have kids?

September 9, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bbowers

Only the perverts who have their minds in a gutter would think its outrages, those kids were putting on a pretty good dance shows...they are BABIES!

September 9, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

Aren't you aware that there are a lot of pedophiles out there being turned on by these shows? We're all living in a sick society whether we like it or not!!!

September 9, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • George

That's the point! THEY ARE BABIES! That means no Botox and certainly no fake boobies just for beauty pageants.

September 9, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Just wondering

Why this makes any sense posted on a story about scantily dressed children.

September 9, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Baran

I would love to win an iPad2 cuz I absolutely love my iPod Touch 3! And a efnrid of mine just bought one (iPad2). I wanna be able to say I won mine! hahah

March 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. AThought

@Justathought- "Really? I GET that it is my responsibility to instill correct values into my daughter, which I plan on doing"

When do you PLAN on starting?? These parents are unbelievable. Wait a second...maybe I can dress up my daughter, give her fake boobs and a fake butt and win money and stuff....now that's PLANNING!

September 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chach

Can anyone answer: Is there ANY positive, life enriching, necessary (for the child) purpose that can POSSIBLY be served by dressing these little girls up and parading them around in wigs, false eylashes, bathing suits and make-up to compete against each other to see who is "prettiest"? The ONLY people that seem to gain anything from participating in this bizarre and disgustingly materialistic spectacle are the self absorbed mothers coercing and pushing their innocent, barely self aware little girls into this obscene display. These mothers that have taken it to the next step are icing on the top of a dark and seedy cake of a culture of pride, ignorance, greed and the polar opposite of humility. I don't know for certain, but I would place a large wager on the odds that most of these "heartland" ditzy mothers are Conservative Christian bible pounding Teapublicans. And where are the fathers and why would any dad allow his wife to exploit his daughter in such a way? Freaks! It is NOTHING like putting your kid in a bathing suit to go to the beach for the simple fact that a bathing suit is specific to the purpose of swimming at the beach. When you put a bathing suit on a 4 year old girl to show that she's prettier than the others in the contest in front of room of spectators and judges, that is exploitation. Night and Day difference.

September 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • 2B

I gree with you. Where are the fathers?
      Many little girls are "cute" to their parents, but when mom comes home with ways to exploit the child the father has to say "Hell No!"

It is not "Cute" Does he want his wife wearing that outfit on stage in front of strangers?

September 9, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Southerner

This is child abuse and these people need to have those kids taken from them.

September 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kate

When I was that age, I played in the dirt and leaves. I got dirty. And guess what? I turned out a lot better than any of these kids will.

September 9, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |