September 9th, 2011

Lt. governor: Texas needs disaster declaration from Obama

Texas needs an immediate disaster declaration from President Barack Obama allowing access to heavy equipment and other assistance to help battle wildfires burning across the state, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said.

The White House has not responded to the state's previous request, Dewhurst contends, and "we need help yesterday."

There was no immediate response from the White House.

A disaster declaration would give the state access to heavy equipment, personnel, supplies and other support that would help it respond after nearly 300 consecutive days of wildfires, Dewhurst said.

Obama has approved a limited disaster declaration for fires in April and May.

"But this problem has been ongoing since January," Dewhurst said. "And if anything it's gotten worse."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Fire • Texas
  1. Jim

@Angel. FYI Congress is made up of the House of Representatives(Republican controlled at the moment) and the Senate Democrat controlled at the moment). Congress isn't a single branch of government it's two of the branches combined.

September 9, 2011 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angel

I know read the my last entry.

September 9, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Angel

They have received 8 grants for the past few days. I guess Obama needs to toot his horn more. And govenor Perry needs to inform his Lt. Gov., who I think is Democrat?

September 9, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Angel

Call your Congressman or senate, ask them what is going on.

September 9, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dave

3.8 billion was 2 billion more than what Obama asked for. What I mean by fully funded is only that this was a very bad year for natural disasters across the Country and Congress may have to address the issue eventually. As far as Obama calling Perry on the 7th, too little too late.

September 9, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angel

These were the latest Dave, Maybe Perry asked too late. He was on the campaign trail ya know, came back tues and back on the road on wed. So Obama called him. He offered him further assistance if needed. Perry needs to skip campaigning and get back to TX. and take care of his state business. The grants are from FEMA.

September 9, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jim

@Angel, I did read your last entry, you said Republicans had control of Congress which is not the case, they have control of the House of Representatives only.

September 9, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angel

REpublicans have control of congress. Nothing can be passed if it does not pass congress. They have not written any bills.

September 9, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Angel

I can see nothing will sway your republican staunch views. It is always someone elses fault. Not the person who should be taking care of it and seeing that it is distributed.

September 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dave

Perry made the first request on April 18th Obama is just now responding, let's see that's 4 and a half months. Perhaps Obama needs to quit worrying about his re election campaign so much and take care of the Country.

September 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angel

No that is the latest request Dave from Perry. Now I know why I cannot speak to republicans, we speak a totally different language. You are hell bent on arguing and not finding any facts for yourself or holding your own local government accountable. So Dave be in your miserable funk by yourself.

September 9, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dave

Well I suppose no more so than you will get past your staunch democrat views. The difference is I've voted Republican, Democrat and Libertarian I don't belong to any political party I'm an Independent. That and I'm willing to look at the fact that the Republican Party offered to fund FEMA by 2 billion more than what Obama asked for and the Democrats in Congress voted against it, that fact can't be changed no matter how hard anyone tries to change it. Facts are facts.

September 9, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dave

I look facts up, the first request from Perry was on April 18th. Try it you might actually learn something.

September 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Angel

No I tried to find info for you, the socialist, from a socialist program, on a social internet. I refuse to go at it. I know they probably could use his rainy day fund that Perry took from schools. If he had Obama on the phone maybe he should have asked him for more help. He did the same with the stimulus. Hes a crackpot, what can I tell ya. If your so wonderful Dave, why don't you run in TX.

September 9, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dave

My information came from the Houston Chronicle (April18th) thank you. But then I suppose a local newspaper just made the request up. My information on the FEMA bill from the Washington Post hardly a Socialist web site. And like all Democrats once you can't defend your position you resort to name calling. This is why I vote for very few Democrats.

September 9, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mike

I thought the red states hated government aid?

September 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angel

They do Mike, and most argumentive I find.

September 9, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dave

Oh BTW Obama is President, once local Government asks for help after a disaster it is His responsibility to respond and coordinate relief efforts not the State Government. BTW I'm not from Texas that was a presumption on your part, a presumption that was also incorrect.

September 9, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angel

All fires are separate. Maybe he has to ask every time?

September 9, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angel

No I thought you were from Missouri or TX, did not matter to me.

September 9, 2011 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Angel

Dave look again, The request on April 18,2011 was for Stimulus money. Perry requested 6.4 billion, which he got from Obama Stimulus package and paid down the state deficit. Politico.
    Associated press May 4 they had already received 20 Fema grants.

September 9, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Angel

Perry hates it and speaks against everything Obama tries to do, but he has his hand out as soon as the cameras fade.

September 9, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pcahontas

If Texas was a blue state on fire, the White House would've been holding the fire hoses to put out the fires in Texas. Obama's non-response to Texas' fires has been going on for more than a year, and yes, it is political and incredibly unpresidential, partisan and childish. So, stop defending Obama and the White House and stop accusing Perry of wrongdoing by asking for federal disaster declarations to help Texans rebuild their homes. Texas is one the biggest producers of tax revenue for the federal government, ranked far more as a producer than a spender. So these declarations are appropriate. Since you're an Angel, just fly over one of the current wildfires that have destroyed 100's of homes and killed dozens of human beings, and you can see for yourself what the wildfires have done.

September 9, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |