New Yorkers in the post-9/11 landscape: 'People have bonded together'
Minas Polychronakis reopened his shoe shop on Wall Street after the original was destroyed in the September 11 attacks.
September 10th, 2011

New Yorkers in the post-9/11 landscape: 'People have bonded together'

There’s no denying that New York is a changed place 10 years after the attacks that destroyed the twin towers and took the lives of 2,753 people.

The city has physically changed and people will forever mourn the losses. The psyche of the city has changed, too.

“We are more patient. We are more caring. I think people have bonded together,” said Sandy Levine, owner of the Carnegie Deli in midtown Manhattan. "I think we all think as one now."

Minas Polychronakis greets his customers every morning from behind the counter of his shoe shop on Wall Street. The store wasn’t always there. The original shop was on the lower concourse of the World Trade Center.

“It was raining glass, papers and bodies of course,” Polychronakis said. “I went outside and I saw the second plane hit the number two building.”

He saw a change in people that day, one that has lasted: "more kind."

"Sometime you have to pay the price to realize how good we are. They changed us for better," he said.

Newspaper columnist Pete Hamill has written about the people who make up the fabric that is New York for five decades.

“Because September 11 happened to us - not to me, not to he or she or you, but to us - that stayed in our character,” Hamill said.

“And I think with any kind of luck it will stay there as long as we’re here.”

Click the audio player to hear this story from CNN Radio's Steve Kastenbaum:

You can also listen to CNN Radio Report podcasts on itunes or subscribe to the podcast here.

Post by:
Filed under: New York • September 11
  1. banasy©

JIF?
    Is it true that New Yorkers are kinder now?
    I'd like to think it'd be true.

September 10, 2011 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

NO.. they still are mean... and have herpes...

September 10, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. michaelfury

"I think we all think as one now."

And if we what "we all think" is wrong?

September 10, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. RUFFNUTT

hopefully nopthing happens tomarrow... if it does i'm prepared... i have soup cans and water..

September 10, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Angel

Ruffnut have you ever had a maroon GTO?

September 10, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. gung hoe

Mourning angel @ruffie hope that there is something in them soup cans

September 10, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  7. gung hoe

@ michael fury Im sure that there is a very intelligent man that keeps making these post If ynu would direct something towards somebody they would probably respond to you Just a idea

September 10, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. Scottish Mama

gung-I think he is telling and keeping to a point that means something to him personally. If you sometimes sway and make small talk it diminishes the meaning. Maybe Banasy was correct, if you go to his site and blog he will blog with you?

September 10, 2011 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. gung hoe

Ahh i see been couple days since been here Have i missed anything

September 10, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. gung hoe

I understand you like to fish

September 10, 2011 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

banasy, I would have to say no. I do believe New Yorkers are the same, but there is a relatively large number of kind New Yorkers. Thank you for asking.

September 10, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. Scottish Mama

Trolls are out, they trolled me already, I am a ghost.

September 10, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. s kel

TO HELL WITH THE THREAT IM WEARING MY DRESS UNIFORM TO CHURCH TOMARROW THAN GOING TO GO SEE THE MEMORAL AT THE PENTAGON TOMARROW!

September 10, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  14. The only new examples of NY people bonding

1.) Legal gay marriages. 2.) Crime, violence, fraud, etc. remain at least the same, if not further away from law. 3.) Perhaps if lawmakers relax laws regarding crime and violence like they did for laws regarding sodomy, it will truly seem like people from many backrounds are bonding.

September 10, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. s kel

Damn CNN , put what the hell I wrote about what I saw that day.

September 10, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |