New Yorkers in the post-9/11 landscape: 'People have bonded together'
Minas Polychronakis reopened his shoe shop on Wall Street after the original was destroyed in the September 11 attacks.
September 10th, 2011

New Yorkers in the post-9/11 landscape: 'People have bonded together'

There’s no denying that New York is a changed place 10 years after the attacks that destroyed the twin towers and took the lives of 2,753 people.

The city has physically changed and people will forever mourn the losses. The psyche of the city has changed, too.

“We are more patient. We are more caring. I think people have bonded together,” said Sandy Levine, owner of the Carnegie Deli in midtown Manhattan. "I think we all think as one now."

Minas Polychronakis greets his customers every morning from behind the counter of his shoe shop on Wall Street. The store wasn’t always there. The original shop was on the lower concourse of the World Trade Center.

“It was raining glass, papers and bodies of course,” Polychronakis said. “I went outside and I saw the second plane hit the number two building.”

He saw a change in people that day, one that has lasted: "more kind."

"Sometime you have to pay the price to realize how good we are. They changed us for better," he said.

Newspaper columnist Pete Hamill has written about the people who make up the fabric that is New York for five decades.

“Because September 11 happened to us - not to me, not to he or she or you, but to us - that stayed in our character,” Hamill said.

“And I think with any kind of luck it will stay there as long as we’re here.”

Click the audio player to hear this story from CNN Radio's Steve Kastenbaum:

You can also listen to CNN Radio Report podcasts on itunes or subscribe to the podcast here.

Post by:
Filed under: New York • September 11
  1. Angel

s kel-We cannot live in fear, we have to live. Our lives are defined by how we live, not by who would kill us.

September 10, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. s kel

Every one BURNED and DEAD.

September 10, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. s kel

And im still MAD as hell about it.

September 10, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Angel

s kel- your memories are scarred, noone can erase it, use it, heal it, don't forget it, try to use the pain, for the good, for the people who can no longer. You are their voice.

September 10, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. s kel

FEAR!!! I have no fear I would still go into those towers today to get at one of my FIREFIGHTER BROTHERS!

September 10, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Angel

Meaning the threat. And you have to do what you plan to do. It means alot to you so don't let the threat stop you. It is still your city.

September 10, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. s kel

This sucks.

September 10, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  6. s kel

Thank u Angel I get like this every yr. I hate it, ill be glad when tomarrows over.

September 10, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Angel

Tomorrow is always with you, it is publicized tomorrow.

September 10, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. Angel

Your brothers and sisters will be there in uniform and the rest of us in spirit. Represent us well.

September 10, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  8. @ s kel

NOT "everyone and everything" burned. Plastic passports survived, and identified several individauls. Only problem with that is, at least two of those individuals are still alive to this very day, and have been spotted on several occassions. (get a clue)

September 10, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. Angel

Who? And why should he get a clue? Isn't the memory enough to deal with?

September 10, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  10. s kel

get a clue??? What the hell are you talking about? Damn yoi may not want to see me face to face right now.

September 10, 2011 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. s kel

Ill probably get arrested.

September 10, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  12. Angel

s kel-some believe it was inside gov.

September 10, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  13. DEKE

Just think about all the doodoo that went missing. I herd almost 8 tons of poo has turned up missing since then. Where has it gone? My friend thinks MichaelFury has eaten it.

September 10, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Angel

Insensitive @$$.

September 10, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. Angel

I think some want others to look into the falling of the towers, like Michael Fury. I would like to know who these people are who are still alive. Today is not the day for this person to speak like that. Why don't you seek s kel out another day? His mind is full today, be respectful.

September 10, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. DEKE

micharlfury coild possibly enjoy a good moist diareah sammich now and then

September 10, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |