New Yorkers in the post-9/11 landscape: 'People have bonded together'
Minas Polychronakis reopened his shoe shop on Wall Street after the original was destroyed in the September 11 attacks.
September 10th, 2011

New Yorkers in the post-9/11 landscape: 'People have bonded together'

There’s no denying that New York is a changed place 10 years after the attacks that destroyed the twin towers and took the lives of 2,753 people.

The city has physically changed and people will forever mourn the losses. The psyche of the city has changed, too.

“We are more patient. We are more caring. I think people have bonded together,” said Sandy Levine, owner of the Carnegie Deli in midtown Manhattan. "I think we all think as one now."

Minas Polychronakis greets his customers every morning from behind the counter of his shoe shop on Wall Street. The store wasn’t always there. The original shop was on the lower concourse of the World Trade Center.

“It was raining glass, papers and bodies of course,” Polychronakis said. “I went outside and I saw the second plane hit the number two building.”

He saw a change in people that day, one that has lasted: "more kind."

"Sometime you have to pay the price to realize how good we are. They changed us for better," he said.

Newspaper columnist Pete Hamill has written about the people who make up the fabric that is New York for five decades.

“Because September 11 happened to us - not to me, not to he or she or you, but to us - that stayed in our character,” Hamill said.

“And I think with any kind of luck it will stay there as long as we’re here.”

Click the audio player to hear this story from CNN Radio's Steve Kastenbaum:

You can also listen to CNN Radio Report podcasts on itunes or subscribe to the podcast here.

Post by:
Filed under: New York • September 11
  1. banasy©

How hateful can one get?

Oh, wait, you just answered that.
    You also have ignorance is spades, my friend.
    You repeatedly say that's it not about you, but you're the one posting without a care in the world who you hurt. And trust me, you hurt many.
    Look beyond your own self for once and see that the big picture, because it involves many more people than just those who were left behind that day.
    You are certainly not omnipotent in all things; in fact you don't consider the human condition, only the government's condition.
    It IS about the words YOU post.
    There are many things you are correct on. Dr. FBI, but there much you are just plain wrong about, too.
    No bloody amout of research sitting behind a computer is going to tell you the EMOTIONAL side...which for the stats and data you post, cannot be measured, Dr.!
    THAT'S WHAT I TALK ABOUT!
    And that's where you get it wrong.

September 10, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bill

@Jean Sartre; If you hate America so much then get the hell out, the sooner the better.

September 10, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jim

@Dr. Whitehurst\ otherwise known as saywhat's understudy(sorry can't recall your other screen name at the moment as you're so unimaginative). I know you have a big conspiracy theory fetish but it's time to get real. There were survivors who saw the planes hit, it wasn't a missle as you love to proclaim. There were no missles on any of the videos and there were no missle parts found in any of the debris. It was what it was, a terrorist attack so get over it already and join the real world.

September 10, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. michaelfury

September 10, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. saywhat

What's with this @Jim. Who always likes to tag my name with someone or the other posting on this blog.
    And then sets out to speak with authority on what really transpired, insulting the intelligence of thousands of thinking Americans ( yes thank Heaven we still have them).
    I never post nor do I need to use any other name. What I have to say I say it.

September 10, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

Read I never post using another name.

September 10, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. hogwash

The FBI's official investigation found large amounts of depleted uranium on site, and many of the first responders now suffer from DU illness. Plus a hole was punched clear thru the entire Pentagon and into the inner courtyard...typical od an DU missile. Dr. Whitehurst figured out what explosives were used in the '93 trade tower bombs, you believed him then, not now? And he was only one of the 300 on the team investigating. get a clue. Hitler burned down the Reichstag you idiot.

September 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. hogwash

I imagine the dead victims rolling in their graves...no Justice for them, only buckets of tears, and the murder of a well known suspect, in broad daylight.

September 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saywhat

I never have offered theories of my own on the subject of 9/11 or anyother. Those who read my posts ( some do I hope) would know that I quote or write what those who are experts in their respective fields have to say about 9/11 and then leave it to fellow bloggers to comment upon or research further.

Like thousands of other Americans I seek the truth and answers to disturbing questions which have a direct bearing on our destiny.

September 10, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. perry

@Ruffnutt; You're the retard thinking that it's funny watching some one almost od. BTW they released the video of the planes when it happened it still doesn't stop idiotic conspiracy theorists because once people get caught up in conspiracy theories it takes over every aspect of their lives, eventually they just go insane because they end up seeing bogeymen every where.

September 10, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • ruffnutt

you cant od on weed!!!!

September 11, 2011 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  11. jim

@Hogwash, Never heard of Dr. Whitehurst and even if I had I very much doubt that the pearson above is Dr Whitehurst if it is then he's a flake. BTW saywhat anyone that believes conspiracy cr@p about 9/11 isn't too intelligent.

September 10, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. perry

@Hogwash; the conspiracy theory nonsense is extremely disrespectful to all those who died and all those who tried to save people during 9/11. Listen to the ones who did survive they were there and they can tell you it was planes not missiles. Oh yeah quit smoking whatever you're on and come back to reality.

September 10, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. RuffNutt

Trolls eat balls (_) (_) ::::::::::D

September 10, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chewpoo

Why isn't CNN mdoerating these blogs??? What's up with all the CRAZY? Geeeez!

September 10, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

@chewpoo:
    And yet you're here with a u/n of chewpoo.

September 10, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |