New Yorkers in the post-9/11 landscape: 'People have bonded together'
Minas Polychronakis reopened his shoe shop on Wall Street after the original was destroyed in the September 11 attacks.
September 10th, 2011

New Yorkers in the post-9/11 landscape: 'People have bonded together'

There’s no denying that New York is a changed place 10 years after the attacks that destroyed the twin towers and took the lives of 2,753 people.

The city has physically changed and people will forever mourn the losses. The psyche of the city has changed, too.

“We are more patient. We are more caring. I think people have bonded together,” said Sandy Levine, owner of the Carnegie Deli in midtown Manhattan. "I think we all think as one now."

Minas Polychronakis greets his customers every morning from behind the counter of his shoe shop on Wall Street. The store wasn’t always there. The original shop was on the lower concourse of the World Trade Center.

“It was raining glass, papers and bodies of course,” Polychronakis said. “I went outside and I saw the second plane hit the number two building.”

He saw a change in people that day, one that has lasted: "more kind."

"Sometime you have to pay the price to realize how good we are. They changed us for better," he said.

Newspaper columnist Pete Hamill has written about the people who make up the fabric that is New York for five decades.

“Because September 11 happened to us - not to me, not to he or she or you, but to us - that stayed in our character,” Hamill said.

“And I think with any kind of luck it will stay there as long as we’re here.”

Click the audio player to hear this story from CNN Radio's Steve Kastenbaum:

You can also listen to CNN Radio Report podcasts on itunes or subscribe to the podcast here.

Post by:
Filed under: New York • September 11
  1. saywhat

Those who want to uncover the truth behind this vilest of crimes committed against America & Americans – 9/11, are in fact paying homage to those who lost their lives and their families. And those thousands of Americans who laid their lives on the sands of far off lands in the aftermath.

Those who would rather that the dark continues hovering and there undoubtedly are unanswered questions, are doing a disservice to the country and dishonoring the memory of those who perished on 9/11.

Good night all.

September 11, 2011 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. chewpoo

@bansay,pansay or whatever, not one of your'e groupies,and your'e not smart enough to catch why I used that name, I think your'e part of the crazies problem.

September 11, 2011 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. Justen beiber

The eagle has landed

September 11, 2011 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ernie D

When people are bonded together, it usually takes the fire dept to get them unstuck.

September 11, 2011 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. kevin

@saywhat; umm the truth was uncovered moron, terrorists hijacked some planes and flew them into buildings. Quit denigrating the memory of all those who lost their lives trying to save people. Listen to those who were there and the spouses of those who died instead of some idiot with a conspiracy theory that doesn't jive with the facts.

September 11, 2011 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. Scottish Mama

@Kevin-some of the responders and others in gov. believe it was something other than a plane. There is some that have died since then, with cancers that may have been caused by the dust. All this I have heard and read from this blog, a little research on other sites, s kel, michael fury, scientist, forensic firefighters, Dr. Whitehurst, and many other people who regularly blog here. The jury is out with me, other conspiracy or half truths have distorted our American past. I try to keep an open mind and make educated guesses and time has a way in uncovering the true. And I love whistle blowers.lol

September 11, 2011 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. gung hoe

Well unless you think them jumbo jets were r c dont know how you can think conspiricy

September 11, 2011 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. kevin

@Scottish Momma yes there are some who have died from lung disease due to the dust that's why they wanted the relief responders to wear breathing filters, sadly many chose not to. As for it being something other than planes I'll refer to my response to saywhat. If you tend to believe some crack pot then listen to the families of the people who were talking to their spouses on the plane that went down in Shanksville they can set the record straight for you. Saying something's so(i.e. That it was a conspiracy) doesn't make it so. There has to be proof and ALL proof points to exactly what it was-a terrorist attack and anyone who denies that is doing a terrible disservice to everyone who lost their life due to 9/11.

September 11, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@kevin my jury is out. Time is always on our side is my point. I do not disrespect the grieving. Some of these people do believe it. I plane on keeping an open mind. I am not a scientist. But there are opposing views. Government has not always been honest with us.

September 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dr. Howard

@Ruffnutt; that is actually a myth. It is possible to overdose on marijuana it just takes an incredibly large amount to do so.

September 11, 2011 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. RUFFNUTT

I see that these Tea Partying fools are still at it, never saying anything intelligent, just using profanity and blogging their right-wing BS under other peoples' names for their personal amusement. It just goes on and on!!!

September 11, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. style-dance

Приветствую всех...

Извините, очень хотела узнать по вопросу браузера для интернета.
    Я и моя семья пользовалась Internet Explorer, но у нас неприятность – стали очень плохо показываться фото.

Посоветуйте... Можно ли эти моменты убрать? Или лучше посоветуйте хороший браузер для инета

С уважением, Ирина!
    Костюмы для художественной гимнастики

September 11, 2011 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. •MARY•

I'm thinking I have not really had time to "bond" and "reflect" over 9/11. I'm too worried about a possible 9/2011! I'm spending more time thinking about the 3 suspects that may be planning something and FBI, CIA don't know where they are!
    •MARY•

September 11, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. •MARY•

I think after this anniversary of 9/11 and providing we don't have anything eLse to reflection and remember, that the day should just be "celebrated" privately by the families etc. It does not need to be a nation in mourning. I have other things more current to mourn, starving children everywhere, the senseless killing of our teens in the street, the kidnapping and abuse of our children, I can go on and on. I find these issues more important. These are other families that are hurting and didn't get paid large sums of money for their losses. Let's worry about people and issues that don't sell magazines and papers. Where is our outrage, patriotism about the things that happen in our neighborhoods. Do you know a 16 year old child was shot in the head, and shoved in a garbage can by a 20 year old, who then went on with his day.
    I'm more afraid about these unbelievable DAILY events. I hope your worried enough too! •MARY•

September 11, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. saywhat

@ Kevin
    Posts like yours just make me shake my head in dismay at the ignorance and stupidity steeped in self induced beliefs of some who would cling to a thought even if the truth one day stares them in the face.
    Don't worry the official version is gradually eroding in the face of overwhelming evidence gathered by thousands who are not deterred from seeking answers. First responders, FBI officials, CIA assets, NASA officials, military personnel, architects , engineers, journalists, aviators and many more. Efforts are already going on to make Congress re-open 9/11 inquiry.

@ Mary
    I quite agree. These memories must be allowed to remain sacred with the families of the victims. But those polticos & forces which exploit these moments to fuel hate, rage & fear to serve their own agenda wouldn't let go.

September 11, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kevin

@saywhat. @Scottish momma. You both need severe mental help. Listen to the families who were talking to their husbands on flight 93, listen to those who were at the twin towers not some dumb @ss freak who has some political agenda to settle. It is extremely disrespectful to those who sacrificed their lives when people believe some nonsensical conspiracy theory cr@p that has absolutely NO basis in fact. You're hatred of Bush is just making you both look stupid. You both need help for your own sakes please get it.

September 12, 2011 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@Kevin-No one disputes planes, no one disputes crashes. I am not a theorist, I said some disbute complete discinigration of buildings and planes. I was explaining others feelings on this site.
      Just because you were there does not mean you understand what happen. Others will disagree with the facts by the government. To imply our government does not lie is a misnomer on your part.
      I reserve the right to my opinion, just as you have yours.
      I have an open mind, there for maybe it is your limited political views that make you write hateful and attacking views with only what you want to see.
      If it is non-sensical-why are there scientist and Dr.'s after 9/11 in conflict and so many deaths to cancer in a group after the fact.
      I also said time will tell and it will, but usually information is not revealed till all that could have benefited from the knowledge are dead.

September 12, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |