September 10th, 2011

Official dedication of MLK Memorial to be held October 16

The official dedication of the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial in Washington, which was postponed because of Hurricane Irene last month, will be held on October 16, Harry Johnson Sr., head of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial Foundation, said Saturday.

The date was set in consultation with the White House as President Barack Obama is expected to speak at the ceremony.

The dedication of the $120 million memorial was to coincide with the 48th anniversary of the historic March on Washington and King's famed "I Have A Dream" speech on August 28. But while many of the weekend events went ahead, the centerpiece dedication was postponed as the East Coast hunkered down for the battering winds and rains of Hurricane Irene.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: District of Columbia • U.S.
  1. gung hoe

Though ive never introduced myself hello jordan scene Banasy will tell you i dont bite Unless of course i take my teeth out and then it just feels like a newborn baby

September 10, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jordan scene©

Haha good one gung hoe! I'm pretty sure I've only really seen you lay into trolls for name stealing or just posting useless garbage. Keep on fightin the good fight against CNN trolls!

September 10, 2011 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. gung hoe

Oh shoot i wasnt supposed to reveal that last sentence

September 10, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gung hoe

@jordan scene i have a post there Occasionally i do think oher than to jump trolls

September 10, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. slider

His actual name is Michael Luois King Jr. and it was never legally changed to Martin Luther King Jr. A man with a false name.

September 10, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@Alex:
    No, we shouldn't, but in this case, and with this man – yes.

@Jay Bob:

What did Jackie O's memoirs say about Bobby Kennedy's involvement with the death of Marilyn Monroe?

September 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

@slider:
    I assume that slider isn't actually your name; does that make your post false?

September 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • slider

No banasy...look it up on your own. Are you upset that you will never be able to carry King's next child to full term.

September 11, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. jay bob

@gung ho; I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to on your statement so I can't give you an answer to it. However my reference was to the recent release of Jackie's private tapes where she, in her own voice, made the statement that Bobby clearly didn't like King I don't recall that the exact word he used was evil but it was very close to that word. Jackie made it very plain that Bobby thought ill of King. BTW they played the excerpt on the NBC news Friday evening.

September 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jay bob

@banasy; I actually didn't catch the rest of the tape they played as I received a phone call in the middle of it. Even though Bobby certainly had access and motive I would have to see or hear hard evidence to support any such conclusion. Conspiracy theories aren't my cup of tea I was just making the point that the goody two shoes Kennedy's weren't so goody two shoes.

September 10, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jj

why is it that every m.l.k. blvd st ave is in the worst part of every town in america? just a thought...

September 11, 2011 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. NOBAMA

martin luther king. whos that?

September 11, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. Brutus

He was a drunk,a womanizer,a cheat and an over rated bum.

September 11, 2011 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  13. RUFFNUTT © ( 15th lvl warrior and pontiac engine builder and lover of widowed elves )

LOL CNN SAID– > Harry Johnson

September 11, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  14. chantal

I heard he was a kneeegrow. Those kneegrows are always up to something. Breaking into houses and robbing good honest folk.

September 11, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. laquecia

Scientist have proven we are running out of air because of MLK and his peoples. They are breathing up all of the good air with their monsterously big nose holes. Gooooogle it.

September 11, 2011 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |