Gotta Watch: The end of 'Kate Plus 8'
TLC's "Kate Plus 8" series ended Monday night.
September 13th, 2011

Gotta Watch: The end of 'Kate Plus 8'

TLC's "Kate Plus 8" may not have been as epic as, say, "M*A*S*H" or "Seinfeld," but we certainly won't forget it. The six-year-old series, which was called "Jon and Kate Plus 8" until Kate Gosselin and her husband divorced and he was fired from the show, came to an end Monday night. Today, Gotta Watch looks back at Kate's advice to "Octomom" Nadia Suleman, the Gosselin's ugly custody war and Kate's short-lived stint on "Dancing With the Stars."

Advice to 'Octomom' - If you mention Kate Gosselin and Nadia Suleman in the same sentence nowadays, it may seem like a setup to a joke. But, not so long ago, we actually asked Gosselin what advice she'd give the so-called "Octomom" when Suleman's kids were born.

Kate's dancing shoes - Kate's appearance on "Dancing With the Stars" fired up fans and critics alike, but it also stoked the 4-alarm inferno that was her custody battle with ex-husband, Jon.

He said, she said - We had a ringside seat to some of the lowest lows in Jon and Kate's shattered relationship. Here, Jon reads a private email from Kate on camera and Kate cuts short Jon's visit with the kids on their birthday.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrity • Dance • Showbiz • TV
  1. Sandy

Might be an interesting sociological study to see how it impacts the kids as they grow up now. They have been in front of cameras non-stop their entire lives. And enjoyed some pretty amazing adventures courtesy of the show. How boring life will be as they settle into existance without that paycheck too.

September 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. aNN

thank goodness it's over and take your bleach blond, plastic surgery face , your ugly bald husband and ugly bratty kids and get lost

September 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Caitlin

If you originally watched the seires pre all of this drama, you wouldn't be coming down on Jon so hard. I was appalled at how he was after their divorce but he quickly settled back into being a good person and I feel bad for how he is portrayed now. I'm a longtime viewer and loved how easygoing he was as a Dad and husband, always felt for him as Kate started her wrath. Anyway, my favorite episodes of J&K+8 had to do with them making soup or carving pumpkins, it's quite appalling how every single episode now includes a free gimmick from a company (ie. free toys, free trips), give me a break. I wish them all well but can happily say it's time for the show to go, it has fallen so far from its original intent.

September 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Priya 86

The media is so tough on Jon! Why does Kate get a free pass? She was a royall witch with a b from the start. I seem to remember it was Kate who dragged one of the tups across the ground at the pumpkin patch because she was too busy berating Jon to pay attention to her precious children. This woman is disgusting. I would have rather watched the show Jon + 8. At least the kids would have been happy.

September 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stpn2me

For about the last 30 years, men have been protrayed in popular media as the bafoon and idiot. No different that she would be treating her husband like that. I'm glad he got out of the marriage. She will never get married again. No sane man wants to be with a B*t*h like her. Now she is going to reap what she sows.

September 13, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Caitlin

Yes, I agree. Even as a woman I felt offended when Kate would sit there and disparage Jon for his weight gain or his bald spots... the nerve! If a Husband had done that to his wife on TV, he would be regarded as the most vile person on the planet. I don't hate Kate but always thought that she would fly off the handle without the opposition of Jon. As predicted, she's become even more self-absorbed and greedy as fame rises. Anyway, I'm saying a lot – I just think Kate needs to be reminded of the simpler life she once valued- but at the end of the day, she still is the same person she always was, it's just amplified due to fame and money.

September 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Aldiggy2000

Time for you to get a real job Kate! your 15 seconds of fame as ended.. deal with it.

September 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Terrymugs

Shame on Kate for even pursuing this show after all of the drama of her divorce, etc. For the sake of the kids, she should have disappeared from the spotlight and began to live a more simple life, for the sake of the children. She's nothing but a spotlight-hungered, drama queen. Kate, become a real mom, and take care of your children – put them first, before your inflated, worthless so-called career. Go back to nursing and hire a babysitter, like the rest of us do.

September 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sue

Gotta watch? Nope, not even interested in seeing the "poor me, how am I going to support my family without reality tv" show. Glad to see it's over. She needs to put on her big girl panties and get a real job like the rest of us.

September 13, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Chris

Oh don't worry, you'll see the 8 little mealtickets on TV again.... on CELEBRITY REHAB.

September 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. RickR

As far as this being a "gotta watch?" No, I don't.

Try going back to nursing, Kate. Just don't get a nursing job at any hospital or office in my area. I'd suggest you try Point Barrow.

September 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JohnnyJett & The Dirty Socks

Kate/Jon

Get back to basics and just focus on the kids; obviously you have grown accustomed to having a comfortable lifestyle and giving everything needed or wanted to you and your kids, but now it's time to scale back and live with your means. I would get out of reality TV it a dead end, maybe write a book and hopefully it will afford you the things you and the kids need, the things you want may have to be saved up for like the rest of us. Good luck, just be a good parent, your kids deserve that.

September 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. marann

I watched this show once and I couldn't watch anymore. The reason why I couldn't watch any more was because of Kate. The way in which she talked to her husband, who was so easy going. She ruled the roost, and you could tell years ago how unhappy he was.

September 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Beth

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, Good Bye!

Thank-you TLC for coming to your senses, and cancelling this circus.

September 13, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nail

Hey in 10 years she can probably launch a new show. They can call it "Kate + intensive therapy + eight messed up kids."

September 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jim

@saywhat: keep posting that funny sh I even if it is under my name, it's f'ing hilarious. You should go into stand up comedy my friend.

September 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jim

Sh it, not sh I sorry my bad.

September 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jim

Maybe you could do a whole "Recollections of jim" while you're at it that would be some real funny sh it I'm sure.

September 13, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |