September 13th, 2011

N.C. senate approves putting same-sex marriage amendment on 2012 ballot

North Carolina will put an amendment banning same-sex marriage on the ballot in May after the state's House and Senate passed the measure.

The measure cleared the Senate by a vote of 30-16, according to Mark Johnson, spokesperson for governor's office. On Monday the House also passed the measure by a vote of 76-41.

Read the bill (PDF)

If the constitutional amendment is approved by voters during the primary in May, North Carolina would become the final state in the Southeast to add a constitutional amendment regarding same-sex marriage.

Proponents of the measure said they felt it was important that the amendment be added so that it would protect the state's policy on gay marriage. North Carolina currently has a ban on same-sex marriage, but legislators are seeking to protect that ban by chiseling it into their constitution.

“We think the people of this state – not judges, bureaucrats, or politicians – should define marriage, which I personally believe should be between one man and one woman," Senate President Pro Tem Phil Berger said in a statement after the measure passed. "We look forward to eight months of healthy debate before voters decide this issue at the polls.”

The proposed constitutional amendment sparked anger from many Democrats in the legislature, who argued the Republicans were trying to push through the measure since they have control for the first time in 140 years.

Others argued the legislature should be focused on more pressing issues such as the economy or jobs.

That concern also came from North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue.

“I’m focused on solving problems and creating jobs.  This partisan exercise does neither: Same-sex marriage is already illegal in North Carolina, and this constitutional amendment would not create a single job. In fact, it could hurt existing North Carolina businesses - as Speaker Tillis himself acknowledged - and harm our ability to attract new businesses to invest and grow jobs here. “

Sen. Josh Stein, a Democrat, echoed similar thoughts in his comments.

He referred to the cost of having to go through a session and taking up this issue while there are still some people in the state dealing with damage caused by Hurricane Irene.

"What are we doing here?" he asked.

He also echoed some of the comments that Democratic colleagues in the House argued on Monday, that this move would single out specific people and was a step in the wrong direction.

"Most of us have gay neighbors, co-workers, friends and family members," Stein said. "Know that if you vote for this amendment, you will cause them pain."

During his arguments for why the measure needed to be passed, Berger argued that the issue was of importance to a lot of people in the state. He too, echoed comments from his Republican colleagues, that there was no better way to decide than by letting the people make their voice heard.

"There is one thing that I don't think anyone can disagree with. If we don't go ahead and address this issue now, it will continue to come up," he said. "It is time to let the people of this state decide."

On Monday during a House committee hearing and then during the House vote, Democrats argued strongly against passing the measure because both of its content and the lack of a public discussion.

People on both sides of the aisle said what decision they made would go down in history.

"I remember a recent session where we went to great lengths, and necessary ones I believe, to issue an apology to African-American citizens for injustices," Rep. Susan Fisher, a Democrat, said on the House floor Monday. "What I think is about to happen here is another instance where in the not-too-distant future we will be apologizing again for unfair and harmful discriminatory practices."

Rep. Dale Folwell, a Republican, said the vote is really about allowing the people to have control of their own constitution.

"Today, history is going to talk about the strength, the strength of this chamber, to realize that some decisions are simply bigger than we are and they belong to the people of North Carolina," he said.

1. banasy©

@Rocky Mt.Gal:

Unconditionally.

September 14, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. Just me...

And next year there will be an ammendment banning mixed race marriages, then the year after maybe mixed faith marriages will be the issue... at what point do people wake up and realize this is not what matters? When they came for the Jews, I said nothing...and then they came for me.

September 14, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • wayneone

I totally understand ya. Some ppl are just mad at themselves and take it out on here. But what u said is TRUE 100%

September 14, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. Skeeter

Y'all city folk best not brang yer pervert ways heah else'n we gonna hang yu frum trees like we done in the old days praise jesus.

September 14, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. EmeraldCity

As Watterson's Calvin once said "I pledge allegiance to the United States of Hysteria."

September 14, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

@Quit yer:
    And I'm sure gay people are sick of turning on the tv and seeing hetero gnats like you, too.

September 14, 2011 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
    • wayneone

Good one Hi from Canada

September 14, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ryan

The governor makes a good point: at a moment where we need to cooperate more than ever, does it really help anyone to put a discriminatory measure to vote? No. I think that's important regardless of where one stands on this issue.

September 14, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  7. Amy Spadoni

Stupid....just lost a ton of respect for the entire state.

September 14, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Calvin and Hobbes!

Like, like, like, like, like!

September 14, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Observer:
    Lol!

September 14, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  10. clearmind

@tania Thank you! I never came on here but my wife did all the time when I was at work. I wanted to be close to her and came here! Joey (jif) banasy, and jazzzzzz were incredible comfort to me. After her passing so many people encouraged me. when i had to be strong for my kids I knew I could express my vulnerability here. so i welcome your conversation thank you

September 14, 2011 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Tania

I'm glad you found comfort. Be well, clearmind. This is my first time here. Maybe I'll come back. I've enjoyed reading your comments.

September 14, 2011 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. john

this from the same state that had legal slavery. yep, they're progressing. if it was up to many people there blacks still wouldn't be able to vote. minorities of all sorts need to be protected, not persecuted

September 14, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • thetruth

SLAVERY AND BEING GAY CANNOT BE COMPARED!!!!

September 14, 2011 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Observer

"SLAVERY AND BEING GAY CANNOT BE COMPARED!!!!"

Only for people unable to grasp the concept of equal rights.

September 14, 2011 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • bcars

Hatred ties the two together and anyone whom denies this fact is ignorant

September 14, 2011 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff Frank ( R - Ohio ) "What me worry?"

IT'S ALL CRONIE CAPITALISM

September 14, 2011 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Darwin

Excuse me? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

September 14, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Darwin

Sorry. That was @thetruth

September 14, 2011 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  15. yalesouth

another idiotic law from the south pending.

September 14, 2011 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |