Father asks Natalee Holloway be declared dead
Natalee Holloway disappeared on Aruba in 2005.
September 14th, 2011

Father asks Natalee Holloway be declared dead

The father of Natalee Holloway, the Alabama teenager who vanished while on a graduation trip to Aruba in 2005, has asked a court to declare his daughter dead.

Dave Holloway filed a petition for the presumption of death of persons missing more than five years with Jefferson County Probate Court in Alabama on June, 21, chief clerk Jackie Rhodes confirmed to CNN.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Aruba • Crime • Natalee Holloway
  1. sugarbomb

what about the case of jaycee dugard? 18 years she was missing and still found alive..

September 14, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@sugarbomb: that's a very good point..

September 14, 2011 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • mjparker

its a great point you made about Jaycee Dugard and having her missing for so long. I cannot even imagine the reasons why he would want to do this. I would never give up hope until I saw a body, which I guess could be never, but I wouldn't do this. Why would he do this?

September 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rich

How sad. Can we please not have any idiotic comments or jokes added as comments to this story?

September 14, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

This is so sad.
    No parent should ever have to do this.
    My continued sympathy to the Holloway family.

September 14, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

I don't think i would do this – hopefully, i'll never find out.

September 14, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Scottish Mama

My sympathy to the family.

September 14, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dave

obviously shes dead. what about the 18 women of color who have vanished since her disappearance? where's their coverage? perhaps if the national media allowed for their stories to be covered throughout, maybe they too could have been found.

September 14, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • thats2bad

What Color did you say?

September 14, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat2u

Maybe with this, the family might be able to feel some kind of closure. Doesn't make it less painful.

My condolences to the family.

September 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. RUFFNUTT (kcmo , hut tub repairman & maker of disco balls)

aurba.. land of the ra-pist

September 14, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

*Sigh*

September 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andy

@LeeinTulsa: Sadly not really as there's no question what happened to Holloway.

September 14, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

Have they proven dude killed her? I haven't really followed it, but seems they haven't found her, dead or alive. It also seems it would be hard to prove without a body..

September 14, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Andy

Why parents allow their teenage children to run off to places like Aruba alone(meaning no guaranteed adult supervision) is beyond me.

September 14, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. leeintulsa

With all the talk all the time about human trafficking, how can we really be sure she's dead?

September 14, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • simslady68

I think this is an interesting point. But, I think Van Der Sl**t was inevitable responsible for her death. Seeing how he allegedly killed a woman in Peru too

September 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly Jack

Even if Joran never admitted he killed Natalee (WE KNOW he did) He HAS said she died and they dumped her from a boat into the ocean....so yes, she is dead.

September 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Judi

Is there a legal reason to have Natalie declared dead? I am a mom and agree with Beth!
    In the case of a death, there is never Closure!!

September 14, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. leeintulsa

First thing i thought of – her chained up in a basement somewhere, and her slaver showing her a newspaper, "look, your dad gave up on you". NEVER will that happen to my daughter.

September 14, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. just me

We can all say what we want, but we really have no idea what we would do in this situation. This is not our daughter & even if our daughter went missing, it still would not be the same situation. Don't be so quick to judge.

September 14, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Andy

@Judi: there are many legal reasons, first and foremost would be so they can seek legal action against Van Der Sloot. Second is so they can collect any life insurance policy they may have had on her so they have funds to continue searching for her remains. Thirdly so no one uses her identi ty to collect social security or get credit cards or enter the states illegally, yes this does happen. Mostly though it's probably so they can begin the healing process, yes they'll never truly heal but life abhors a vacuum.

September 14, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |