September 15th, 2011

Quakes hit off Cuba, Japan and New Zealand

[Updated at 10:39 a.m. ET] The U.S. Geological Survey has revised downward the magnitude of Thursday morning's earthquake off Cuba to magnitude 5.1 from magnitude 6.0.

[Updated at 5:20 a.m. ET] A magnitude 6.0 earthquake hit off the southeastern coast of Cuba early Thursday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The quake was centered 77 miles north of Montego Bay, Jamaica, and 370 miles southeast of Havana, Cuba. It hit at 4:43 a.m.

Forty-three minutes earlier, a magnitude 6.2 earthquake rumbled off the east coast of Japan, the USGS reported.  No tsunami warning was issued.

Both quakes were shallow, striking at a depth of six miles.

And seven minutes before the Japan quake, a magnitude 6.0 quake was recorded off the coast of New Zealand, according to the USGS.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Cuba • Earthquake • Japan • Natural Disasters • New Zealand
  1. MarcNJ

Earthquakes are always happening. If you look at USGS website, you'll see that hundreds happen each week, in the US alone. 1000-1200 or so worldwide. That said, there has been increased activity around Yellowstone over the past few years. As they always say, it's not a matter of if, but when. And God will have nothing to do about it, other than setting this whole pinball machine we call a universe in motion.

September 15, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Yeah...if that happens were pretty much all dead.
      People dont understand how it would block out the sun...then things would die, and at that point the food supply would drop and 9/10s of the worlds populace would be wiped out.

September 15, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. gale

All you math geniuses I commend you. I can barely multiply. I think it's just that this old girl, EARTH is tired and ready to dump a few million bodies to help her out a bit.

September 15, 2011 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Ravenna

I think it's so funny that everyone thinks the slightest shake is TEH APOCAWYPSE! OH NOES! RUN HIDE UNDER YER BIBLE IT WILL SAVE YOU FROM THE FALLING RUBBLE!

September 15, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • ckelley

Not everyone. Some of us are able to think for ourselves 🙂

September 15, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. DrDoITT

2012 warning!! repent now!

September 15, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. rdg18

After a third of the population of the world is destroyed. After Russia and China attacks Israel and is destroyed. Then those from monkeys might believe Bible prophecy.

September 15, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • ckelley

Sigh. Those who are completely wrong about what evolution is are always first to deny it.

September 15, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

Yes, the motto of Christianity– Believe what we believe, or we'll kill you.

September 15, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. Trust me I'm a scientist and yes I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night

No "prophet" your posts are being blocked because you are an idiot.

September 15, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Paulo357

There will be strange occurrences in the skies and in the heavens,Earthquakes w/the seas and waves roaring,political
    upheaval,economic distress among nations etc. etc. I have read all about the history of the future,yes it is coming,yes I am prepared. are you? JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!

September 15, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • I'm not a scientist but I do know what good primitive art is when I see it

Probably not... and this is where you get very indignant. Funny how that works, first as a Christian you want to "save " me as your eyes get moist and sincere, then your ready to feed me to the fiery mouth of hell and relish the thought. If I go to hell it will be to help you.

September 15, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • kingofpaint

Man has always tried to explain what is unexplainable by crediting it to God. Why not say, "I just don't know." Over the centuries of recorded history, people been "preparing" for the Rapture. If you spend all your time preparing for the rapture, you will miss out on living.

September 15, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • I'm not a scientist but I do know what good primitive art is when I see it

king of paint is awesome!

September 15, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  8. Billy Bob Boom Bang Bubbis Bingo

There have always been earthquakes, there will always be earthquakes. Religion has nothing to do with any of them.

September 15, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Nick

Amen! Preach it!

September 15, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. Anne

I really believe the evidence of all these natural disasters coming now is a sign the world is going to end. I don't care what anyone else thinks its what I believe.

September 15, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Jo

That's because you're a moron.

September 15, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Yes, it's true. You are insignificant

It's a good thing you feel that way because you hit the nail on the head. Nobody cares what you believe.

September 15, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • I'm not a scientist but I do know what good primitive art is when I see it

You don't care what anybody else thinks? You know your posting this on the internet, right?

September 15, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. Chris

HAARP

September 15, 2011 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. truthortrouble

hey Oh No!, just a side note on all those who for centuries thought the earth was flat, could have taken the time to read that old modern book, and found in the book of Job first( one of the first five books written by Moses,guided by Holy Spirit) here he quotes Job at Job 26: 7 how the earth hangs upon nothing, and centuries later Isaiah recorded the earth as a "Pshere" at Isaiah 40: 22, but instead, men would rather drum up thier own conclusions. If more of us read the Bible as a whole, it becomes very obvious that that old book is as modern as any book written to date

September 15, 2011 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

I've read it cover to cover, KJ, NIV, and whatever "flavor" my study bible was. It took me 23 years to figure out what those "doubts" were, and why Christianity has a way of dealing with them. The "doubts" were my rationality trying to crack through a thick crust of lies, indoctrination, and social conditioning. I'll use this verse yet a third time this morning– "The Earth is firmly fixed; it shall not be moved." -Psalms 104:5. How does that relate to Job 26:7? One would say that Job 26:7 furthers the "flat earth" or the "Earth is the center of the Universe" theory because it "hangs on nothing." We now know that our Earth "hangs" on the Sun, and most of its movements are directed by that big ball of Hydrogen that was the basis of almost every religion.

September 15, 2011 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. HockeyMinny

...."It's the end of the world as we know it... and I feel fine"...

My boss is a Jewish carpenter

September 15, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Teaneck

Amen! Me, too.

September 15, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. bezerkur

i agree to a point. i do however believe some events can be proved in the bible and has by scientists. the great flood for example. most of these stories and concepts were around many years before the zionists and christains and the rest of the modern religions. there is one prediction however i find interesting thats in the bible, and that is when man believes his ego and thought over shadows the exsistance of god. and he will make war with the church. and when that time comes it will be the beginning of the end. well in the last 10 years more atheists have come forth and the vatican isnt doing to well these days. other religions also. the internet is usefull but it is also the flame.

September 15, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  14. IndiaRocks

I hate New Zealanders and, in general, all Westerners.

September 15, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  15. Teaneck

There's still time, brother.

September 15, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • I'm not a scientist but I do know what good primitive art is when I see it

Ah yes, time for tea and and a good prescription antacid for that ulcer.

September 15, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |