September 15th, 2011

Quakes hit off Cuba, Japan and New Zealand

[Updated at 10:39 a.m. ET] The U.S. Geological Survey has revised downward the magnitude of Thursday morning's earthquake off Cuba to magnitude 5.1 from magnitude 6.0.

[Updated at 5:20 a.m. ET] A magnitude 6.0 earthquake hit off the southeastern coast of Cuba early Thursday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The quake was centered 77 miles north of Montego Bay, Jamaica, and 370 miles southeast of Havana, Cuba. It hit at 4:43 a.m.

Forty-three minutes earlier, a magnitude 6.2 earthquake rumbled off the east coast of Japan, the USGS reported.  No tsunami warning was issued.

Both quakes were shallow, striking at a depth of six miles.

And seven minutes before the Japan quake, a magnitude 6.0 quake was recorded off the coast of New Zealand, according to the USGS.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Cuba • Earthquake • Japan • Natural Disasters • New Zealand
  1. the prophet

@oh no and anyone else:
    The name I use the prophet is not associate with I don’t know what am talking about, you associating it to your own delusional parallel and dysfunctional endeavors, and when you will be wrong you going to blame who the devil?

September 15, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

Assuming I decyphered your intent from that mess of words above. If I am wrong, I will blame myself. It's pretty awesome how personal responsibility works.

September 15, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • I'm not a scientist but I do know what good primitive art is when I see it

Thanks prophet! You cleared that up... ? Your apologetics, world view and command of English are all amazing.

September 15, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. 1Christian2otherChristians

We need to be happy and excited, not fearful, Christ will soon come and take us home, so the end-time warnings are for unbelievers so they can not accuse God in the end they will have no excuse. Until then, since we can do nothing, just enjoy their jokes, the last joke, rather disaster, will be on them and it will not be funny. I wonder if there will be any jokes after the 2nd resurection?

September 15, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • ckelley

See, now THIS is the arrogance I find so hard to stomach. It's comments like this that make me so glad I am who I am.

September 15, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

Yes, do nothing. Please stop your Great Commission. There are those of us who would rather not be "saved" today. In the event we feel we need "saving", we know where you are. Thank you.

September 15, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • meandme

CRIST IS HERE.

September 15, 2011 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
    • ckelley

Peter Crist?

September 15, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Guest

I agree with you, I do believe that these are just the labor pains of what is to come. They are going to be more frequent and more powerful.

September 15, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Will

I wish you morons would rapture already the planet would be much better off without you...

September 15, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • I 8 1 B 4 U

Aint that special.
      Have a nice rapture.
      mow ron.

September 15, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • I'm not a scientist but I do know what good primitive art is when I see it

I can't wait for you to tell me "Ha Ha told you so". Not only are you a very convenient Christian and immature but a heartless one as well.
      It truly is people such as yourself to blame for Hell looking so good to the rest of us.

September 15, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Bates

Trollololololol

September 15, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • beelzabarber

you are scarier than the Taliban AND Al Queda combined

September 15, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. Rich

If you don't think EQ's are increasing in frequency and magnitude, your blind! I've been watching the main EQ sites, ie: USGS, for many years now and to me the increase is obvious.

Could it be an Earth Cycle? Could it have something to do with the Solar Cycle? Could it have something to do with Elenin coming through the inner solar system? Could it have something to do with our Solar System entering a cloud/ribbon of energy and particles? Could it be the Super Nova that we are now seeing?

Who knows 100% for sure what is causing it, but it IS happening.

Just be prepared make sure you discuss with your family and loved ones what to do incase of all types of emergencies Don't live in fear, but live smart and prepared for anything.

Just keep your eyes open, research and learn for yourself.. don't always believe everything MSM tells you.. Make your own, educated, opinions.. and be prepared!

September 15, 2011 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • No common sense permitted

Wait.... that sounds like practical thinking. That is not allowed. Only irrational reactions are allowed here.

September 15, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • livinlife420

THE first intelligent comment I have seen in a long time. Thank you for common sense..no matter what people believe.

September 15, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. the prophet

@oh no and anyone else: The name I use the prophet is part of the bible teachings GOD appointed prophets, its not associate with I don’t know what am talking about, you associating it to your own parallel delusional and dysfunctional endeavors, and when you will be wrong you going to blame who the devil?

September 15, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • I 8 1 B 4 U

Prophet = profit.

September 15, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
    • I'm not a scientist but I do know what good primitive art is when I see it

Saying you are not the prophet does not make you a prophet, much less The Prophet. You would condemn people who don't understand poor ability to communicate?

September 15, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • ibrad

Just say NO!
      Crack is whack jack!

September 15, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Dennis

That's fine..They hate you equally.

September 15, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. BattleHealer

Sorry everyone! I just had a terrible case of gas. Hope no one was hurt out there in those countries.. :-/

September 15, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • meandme

YOUR A FUNNY GUY..

September 15, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  7. justathought

I wonder why people keep saying these disasters are caused by God, God just said they would happen, that doesn't mean He caused them. He just said the world would be groaning for the last days.

September 15, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • meandme

BECAUSE THE WORLD IS FULL OF SO MUCH SINS. HE'S ANGRY..IF YOU READ THE BIBLE IT WILL CLEARLY STATES WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN THESE DAYS.THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN BY THE SPIRIT OF GOD BY TH PROPHETS. IF YOU SCRUTINIZE EACE WORD IN THE BIBLE AND KNOW THAT GOD IS REAL YOU WILL ABSOLUTLEY UNDERSTAND MORE. YOU HAVE TO HAVE FAITH IN GOD. FAITH IS WHAT YOU KNOW IS THERE BUT YOU CANT PHYSICALLY SEE IT WITH YOUR EYES.

September 15, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. Reason is wisdom.

The world is changing rapidly and most are not and will not be ready when the final adjustment happens, because they live in ignorance and niëvly unaware that this repeated patterns are signs. People, STOP being so procupied in your own meaningless endevours and see what is near!

September 15, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Ronald Raygun

whats near?

September 15, 2011 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jeffco

#1 there is no God, #2 there is no apocolyse coming, #3 these things happen all the time. People feel comfort in religion to make them feel better that a better place is out there after you die. Nothing is there after you die. Better start by living the best life you can have without treating other people like dirt and drag other people down into your own misery.

September 15, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
    • hillplus

You do know that religious people are generally happier than non religious, don't you? Happier = less misery. 😉

September 15, 2011 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh no!

Yes, they're happier because they have a false sense of security about what will happen to them when they die. As long as they stay true to their chosen God, all will be perfect when they pass on. It kind of makes the day to day a little trivial doesn't it? Personally, I think it's great, it's just unfortunately not what I believe. It's a lot better than "you'll just cease to exist." I just don't like people pushing what they believe on me, and there's plenty of that here. There will be plenty of time for believers to gloat in the afterlife if they were right. And if they were wrong, well, they'll never know.

September 15, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. deb

all you have to do is read your bible it is all in there.oh and i all so think these earth quakes will be one big quake some day soon and thats not funny

September 15, 2011 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  11. Chris

Yes, the signs are everywhere. The time has come for a new beginning, which Yeshua the messiah will usher in. My bet is, we only have about 6 more years of this mess to endure. Repent Now!! Repentance, in the biblical sense means a change of mind, a change of thinking, not an apology for wrong. Confessing and forsaking your sins will work for that, but repentance is also necessary. So if you were walling contrary to God's laws turn around and start observing them. That's repentance!!1

September 15, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
    • I 8 1 B 4 U

I saw Jesus' face on my toast this morning.
      Then i put butter & jelly on it and i ate it.
      No rapture here......burp.

September 15, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Reason is wisdom.

To Chris:

Compelling message. But let not your tounge betray you, for no one is to predict when the end will come.

September 15, 2011 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. FelipeBR

Soon the Big One will hit California, and Yuma beach will be created,

September 15, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. justathought

We were told it would be like the time of Noah, well they were laughing at Noah. Why not, he was building a very large boat and there was no water near to float it in, and then sudden disaster struck and they were on the wrong side of the ship, and tghey were not laughing any longer, but crying to be let in. "And so shall it be in the last days."

September 15, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. Paulo357

Knowing this first,that there shall come in the last days mockers, walking after there own lust,
    and saying,where is the promise of His coming? Well said Peter,this age of apostasy has been seen from
    before the world was even CREATED! The Holy Bible a book that was written by 40 Holy Spirit guided men over a period of 1500 years. I dont know how anyone can not Believe that Jesus Christ Did not exist,but that was also prophesied by Christ.That man would suppress the truth in unrighteousness. 1 man/GOD, Jesus Christ our Lord changed world history forever. Even Atheists cant deny that. we know where most of the patriarchs are buried,why cant we find where the body of Christ is Buried? Dont make much never mind to me, I know that many are called but few are CHOSEN. God only wants believers in his kingdom,so pretty much leaves atheist outta that plan. I know you people are blinded by the lies of satan,so was I once.If you would open your hearts,as well as your minds,you would really see just how much truth is in the Scriptures.Is it really so hard to believe there is a God? I guess you people just cant stand the fact that there does not have to be an answer to everything your science cant prove.as for me and my house I will trust in the LIVING GOD who is all sovereign, and who does not owe any human being an explanation!

September 15, 2011 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
    • MissMessy

You meant to say Church change our history forever? Very true. God, not so much.

September 15, 2011 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
    • I'm not a scientist but I do know what good primitive art is when I see it

What do you mean "you people"?

September 15, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  15. Joe

Why say it hit off of Cuba when it was much closer to Jamaica than to Cuba?

How about "Quake hits approximately 2,000 miles south of Detroit"????? That makes about as much sense as saying it hit off Cuba.

Is Jamaica no longer an actual place? What the heck????

September 15, 2011 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |