6.6-magnitude quake hits Japan
September 16th, 2011

6.6-magnitude quake hits Japan

A 6.6-magnitude earthquake struck Saturday morning near the east coast of Japan's main island of Honshu, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The quake happened at 4:26 a.m. local time, about 67 miles (108 kilometers) east-southeast of Hachinohe, Japan, according to the USGS.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Earthquake • Japan • Natural Disasters
  1. kevin

Usually scientists or astronomers name celestial objects so I'd have to guess one of the two as long as it took me to find the name of the planet I sincerely doubt I'd ever be able to find who named it.

September 16, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

Just sounded funny, 'officially' naming something no one can prove ever existed. Sure, someone named unicorns and dragons, but that's fantasy..

September 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. alan

Sorry to confuse you lee but I had someone trolling me on a different article so I had to start using my first name instead of my middle name which I normally use. Hope it didn't through you off-dam trolls are annoying.

September 16, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Christian Presidents

everyone pokes fun at those who believe in God. Yet, I've never seen a post on CNN in the past year that pokes fun at Presidents, like Obama and Bush. It's like if a powerful man is a believer everyone is OK with it. But if it's just your neighbor talking about God, most everyone gets peeved and hurls insults...even at Jesus, but never about the believer Obama. Anyone care to explain?

September 16, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

You seem to be off in a world of your own. However, I'll tell you this, I'll be happy when someone can run for President of the US and not have to be religious at all or at least not have no mention if they are or not. As it is I doubt you could run for dog catcher here without making a show of going to some church.

September 16, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Barrens Chatter

So many earthquakes. I better start stocking up before 2012 arrives. Its the Mayan Apocalypse! Run! BTW, any ladies want to join me in my bunker and help to perpetuate the species with me?

September 16, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Barrens Chatter

OMG... have you seen the Barrens? An earthquake triggered by Deathwang totally decimated the place. Maybe Deathwang is running amuck in the real world? Is he the one causing all these earthquakes worldwide?

September 16, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. hjy

I'm thinking about a talk show that was on in late August that had a gentleman by the name of Mr. John Hogue who mentioned something about an earthquake hitting on the 16th of september or the 25Th September 2011. Anyway, i believe the talk show was called "coast To coast Am"

September 16, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Barrens Chatter

Did Coast-To-Coast AM predict Deathwang's ascension and subsequent drubbing of azeroth? I might have to listen to that station more often. Maybe they can predict what will happen between the alliance and the horde. What will become of Thrall? Will there be peace in a world torn by war?

September 16, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Barrens Chatter

Uh oh. Deathwang just hit Uldum. Its on fire! That damn Deathwang! He destroys everything he flies over. So sick of him!

September 16, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Christian Presidents

Most here on CNN rag-on fellow bloggers who profess belief in God...calling them stupid and crazy. We all poke fun at presidents who do stupid things, but never do we call the President stupid or crazy for believing in God. Most of you are democrats who supported Obama...others are republicans who support Bush. None of you are harshly critical of these men. You have no problem making fun of Jesus, why do you not make fun of Obama and Bush for believing in God?

September 16, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Christian Presidents

Silence of the non-believers who support the big believers, but attack the little ones. Kind of like school bullies who pick on the smaller kids, until one of the medium-sized kids knocks the sh!t out of the bullies mouth/post. Cat got tongue?

September 16, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. the prophet

its coming...

September 17, 2011 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. the Prophet

As i said before there are going to major catastrophic events but no one is paying attention, whatever!! people did not listen to GOD either so i am not surprised people are still dismissive over 2 thousand years later

September 17, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. leeintulsa

@christian presidents: I have been known to defend freedom, and myself, from goddies trying to impose their beliefs on others who may not share their beliefs.

You must've not been around here when bush was pushing his retarded 'defense of marriage' drivel. I wasn't, either, but i have no doubt other freedom fighters were here in my stead. If, in fact, these blogs were here then.

I don't attack people for believing. People i love believe. While i might think they are misguided, they are free to be. Even obama and w are free to believe. I speak up when i feel they are trying to make me live under rules that fly in the face of freedom.

Perhaps you are not talking to me. Perhaps the reason haters don't seem to attack bush or obama is they don't blog here. Perhaps they do, under psuedonyms, in which case they *do* get attacked and you just don't know it's them.

Two good rules of thumb: avoid blanket comments attacking percieved groups of people, and try not to assume too much. Wisdom lies in knowing you know nothing.

September 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. leeintulsa

@the prophet: No one is paying attention? You talk about pending calamity like anyone doubts it. Like people think irene was the last hurricane, or there will never be another hurricane as bad as katrina.

I can say there is a huge earthquake inevitable somewhere in the world, some time in the future. And i'm no prophet.

Somewhere, a man will lose his neighbor's hammer; and a child will not know where lyeth that thing put there by their father only just the night before..

Duh. And??

September 17, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Willowspring

Did anyone bother to take the CNN vote if Congress should take a pay cut since the economy is so bad? The tally was heavily "yes," and I agree. They should at least make it retro active to the same amount of time the Federal employees and social security payments were denied the COLA. I believe they gave themselves a raise of $3,000 this year; I don't know about 2009 and 2010.

September 17, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |