Gotta Watch: They caught what?
A father and son on a fishing trip spot a fawn and it's all caught on tape.
September 16th, 2011

Gotta Watch: They caught what?

Fishermen may sometimes tell tall tales about the enormous fish that got away, but you've never seen anything like this. These people really did get the catch of a lifetime - and got it all on tape. From animals that shouldn't even be in the water to 40-ton "catches," you've got to watch these unbelievable fishing videos.

That shouldn't be in the water – A father and son fishing trip gets weird when they spot a deer in the water.   To see more great deer moments, check out 2010: The Year in Deer.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/09/16/dnt-mi-fawn-rescue.wnem"%5D

Wild ride – This shark looks like it's straight out of "Jaws." See how this father and son react when they snag a huge shark from a little kayak.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2011/08/22/dnt.father.son.snag.shark.khou"%5D

Whale of a tale –  These boaters made an unintended catch - a giant whale that landed on a sailboat. CNN's Jeanne Moos reports.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2010/07/21/moos.whale.crashes.boat.cnn"%5D

Lucky dog – Great catches can even be made on land. This dog snaps up a salmon crossing a flooded road.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/11/04/vo.dog.gets.fish.kiro"%5D
Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Dogs • Fish • Gotta Watch • Sharks • Whales
  1. Joey Isotta Fraschini

I used to be a chief in Manhattan. I made fish as well as deer dinners. Most of my clients chose the fish. However there were some that did choose deer over fish. I made sure that all of my plates were tender and seasoned to perfection or I would not serve it and start all over. Now I am a musician. Either way I would like to think that I contribute to society in a positive manner.

September 16, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harrison Gentry

Who Cares?

September 16, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • wannaBEmyFriendHuH69

I was thinking a Cheif, Like the head dude of some Indian Gang, No not the "do you want a slushy with that?" Indians but the "me gonna scalp you", Indian, "do you want to do my Squaw?" what the hell were we talking about???

September 16, 2011 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • RobG

Thanks chief.

September 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • enthralled

great story. can you tell it again?

September 16, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Crocker

I think he meant he was a chef.

September 16, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Uhhh

Yeah, I guess food and music are positive. Not like curing-cancer-positive, but not too bad. Why did you season your plates? Isn't the food supposed to be seasoned?

September 16, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Waggonner

Hey Joey, if you're outta fraschini, can I have rigatoni instead?

September 16, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • trigtwit palin...America's favorite tard baby

Here's a wet one just for you... *poot*

September 16, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • joey d

looks like the chief was passing around the peace pipe when he came up with this story...

September 16, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • mwhartonmatty4golf58@gmail.com

A CHIEF, HUH. JUST GUESS WHAT YOU COULD HAVE DONE IF YOU WERE A CHEF INSTEAD OF A CHIEF. REMARKABLE!

September 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chuck Searle

I was once a Chef. Then I was Cheif. I also like to eat deer. But will play music when I don't do chief chef stuff. Can we be friends?

September 16, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arran Webb

Time for a walk outside and get some fresh air. Think about the next major life move.

September 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • f

Hey Chief ! This ain't no damned FOOD CHANNEL .

September 16, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ballson Chinn

It's been a long time since Manhattan's had a chief.

September 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Africaneesha

The chief not only waxes philosophical, but he makes a good point. Food is meant to be eaten.
      My dad used to say "I know a fellow in New York who has two white mules" after I would say something totally off-topic. Just thought I'd share that, because someone else's dad may have said the same thing, and it may bring back a pleasant memory.

September 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |

It's been over two months and I keep coming back to this posting because the entire string never fails to make me laugh. Thank you Chief Joey!

November 23, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ellen Degenirate

I ,my self prefer the fish. Of course seeing how hot my girlfriend is,you too would really like the fish, my dear Joey

September 16, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Matt

Joey... I think if you were a CHEF you would be able to spell it correctly. I have my doubts about your alleged culinary expertise.

September 16, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • CaEd

maybe that's why he is now a musician.

September 16, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Hunting Saves

More misinformation about deer hunting in the lead video. By culling the herd through hunting, less fawns like the one this father and son team saved will suffer from starvation come this winter. If you want to save more young deer, sir, pick that rifle back up, get out this Fall, and get your (adult) deer.

September 16, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • seriously?

First of all this is not an uncommon occurrance. It happenes quite often; especially in archipelagos where deer swim from island to island. (I should know–it happened to me once while halibut fishing in Alaska. Secondly, the comment about the deer starving this Fall is just foolish speculation. Deer have been doing just fine for thousands, if not millions of years before hunters with rifles came along.

September 16, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Yeah they were doing fine for millions of years, but there were wolves hunting them. With wolf populations now non existent, they actually must be hunted by humans for population control because they have no remaining natural predators.

Over population of deer can decimate the plant and animal diversity in a forested area. Let alone the increase in car accidents and personal property damage.

September 16, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kevin

Wasting food, what about all the starving children in Africa?

September 16, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • joerod

name two...

September 16, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guilty Liar

Tick tick clop clop and his sister tiga tag tick tock. Both from Somalia, and both are starving.

September 16, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • EPaul

There's a big difference. You can't blame human starvation on Animals…but you SURE can blame the loss of wildlife on Humans. Millions of sharks are killed each year alone for something as unnecessary and foolish as shark fin soup. I'd love for everyone who preaches about saving the starving children (yet their parents have enough food to still keep living and breeding) to first gain some perspective and then read up on the story of Easter Island. If our population isn't curved drastically soon, we'll all suffer the same fate!

September 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat2u

They caught a fawn fish ? Oh DEER !

September 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat2u

I'm sorry folks. I can't believe I said that !! mea maxima culpa

September 16, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Truth Teller

Drowning Deer? Unlikely – Deer can swim – I have encountered them swimming to and from an island about 4 miles off the coast of Long Island.

September 16, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Not JIF.
    Not even a fair imitation.

September 16, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. joey d

maybe the chief was passing around the peace pipe when he came up with his story...

September 16, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Indie

Good god there are a lot of vile people on here today.

September 16, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. justathought

@ Matt, Joe wasn't even a bugger flipper, do you believe that he was a even a musician? Maybe be he eats lots of beans and toots a lot.

September 16, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Indie

You think he's running on one cylinder?

September 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chuck Searle

Also, you sound hot.

September 16, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Gordo

Why did the salmon cross the road? (re the 4th video)

September 16, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

to get to the other side of the road

September 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ballson Chinn

McDonald's new Filet of Deer sandwich – try one today!

September 16, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bristol Palin

I thought I lost my buttplug but then I found it. Guess where it was... giggle, snort

September 16, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |