September 16th, 2011

Man, son save fawn in middle of bay

Dave Falkenburg didn’t catch any fish in Michigan’s Wild Foul Bay on a recent excursion, but he’s happy with what he says he did grab from the water: A 65-pound fawn.

Falkenburg and his 13-year-old son, Justin, say video taken with the boy’s cell phone shows them rescuing the juvenile deer well away from shore on Sunday. They say they found it while driving their motorboat in the water about 45 miles northeast of Saginaw.

“My son thought it was a seagull or something,” Falkenburg told CNN of the moment they saw something bobbing in the water. “And I said no, I think it’s a deer.”

Falkenburg told CNN affiliate WNEM that it appeared the fawn was struggling to survive. The video, which the pair posted to YouTube, shows the boat approaching the water-treading fawn, and then Falkenburg grabbing the animal by the neck with the intention of keeping its head above water.

“We both decided that we needed to act, and needed to act fast,” Falkenburg, of Caseville, told CNN.

After Justin drove for a while with his dad holding the deer’s head, Dave Falkenburg eventually put the deer into the boat.

Thirty-five minutes after they found the animal, they were close enough to shore to put it into shallow water. Video shows the fawn walking toward land.

Falkenburg said deer regularly swim from a peninsula out to an island.

Mary Detloff, spokeswoman for the state Department of Natural Resources, said no DNR personnel were involved. She said she had no reason to doubt the story.

“I wouldn’t put it past the people of Michigan trying to save a deer,” she said.

Falkenburg said it didn’t matter to him that he didn’t catch any fish on the trip.

"We caught the best catch of the day," he said.

Post by:
Filed under: Animals • Deer • Michigan
  1. raven

Yes. It is wonderful. I once saw a gorilla chase a cheeta. No contest. The cheeta left the gorilla behind choking on its dust...

September 17, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. post

Testing.

September 17, 2011 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  3. the REAL yada

@ Troll....are you having fun talking to yourself? You are indeed cracking me up but I really don't want to encourage you. Thanks tho for keeping the fake comments clean and light-hearted. 😀

September 17, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  4. post

Testing

September 17, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  5. yada

I hope one day you grow up troll. You really must be lonesome and pathetic to do this kind of thing. So just stop it.

September 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. the REAL yada

Not my post @ 12:22! Good Grief! How many trolls do I have?

September 17, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Cousin It

Yada stop posting and let the troll post. Noone like to play with it.

September 17, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. analytical reasoner

Wow. Trolls are more interesting than rescuing a child being pursued by an American child-predator. No wonder CNN never reports even one single story where a man saves a boy from a stalker. You folks prefer trolls, and CNN knows it. (or there just aren't any stories of a man rescuing one of America's 500 per day unaccounted for children from an predator to report)

September 17, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cousin it

Yada. I am a male. 33 years old. Are you pretty. How do you look in a blue one piece blue dress,high heels and make up to boot?

September 17, 2011 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cousin It

Hey troll ya wanna give it go how does it feel to be trolled.

September 17, 2011 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Cousin it

@yada, are you single. Wanna play? Let's get a room and play. I aint talking monopoly.

September 17, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cousin It

I hove the thread to play with you troll. Noone wants you.

September 17, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cousin it

Yada is mine. I will dress her,feed her, and do her.

September 17, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cousin It

You have been rejected once again>

September 17, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. The Man

Cousin you are a LOSER. I want yada. She feels and smells so good.

September 17, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cousin It

Little man notice no blog back, jack.

September 17, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. The Man

Yada will do what I tell her. Wear burgandy garders. Mmmmmm

September 17, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Animal House

The dates were for Flounder and Pinto...hilarious.

September 17, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. The Man

@yada and cousin, I live in southern california. Let's us 3 get together and just do it! I will pay for the plane fair. Yes?

September 17, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |