Overheard on CNN.com: It's raining in Texas
Cows in the Texas Panhandle seem just as perplexed as their owners when rain fell Thursday.
September 16th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: It's raining in Texas

Comments of the Day:

"The nicest smell in the whole world, the smell of wet dirt during that first rain after a loooong period of zilcho. Love it. Good luck folks."–manyote

"Feels good to see rain in Texas and the cows! And I do not even live there!"–awesomeiam

Texas rain: 'Like manna from heaven'

It finally rained in Texas. After months of drought and the hottest summer on record, Texas recorded three-quarters of an inch in the Panhandle. It wasn't nearly enough; Texas needs the same weekly for a few months for real relief, said Andrew Moulton, a meteorologist at the National Weather Center in Amarillo, Texas. Many CNN.com readers shared their excitement and longing for rain in their area of the state.

Bmery44 said, "It's raining here in Corpus Christi TEXAS!" Peluard said, "Finally some good news. Those people desperately need the rain."

drowlord said, "The drought has been a burden for people, but I feel really bad for wildlife here. All the streams are dried up. The fish all converged on the deepest spots, and when those dried up, they just died - thousands dying in tiny puddles. Turtles, snakes, lizards, frogs, small mammals ... all dying without water. It's been an apocalypse for anything that can't fly."

DrBillToth1 said, "Still not a drop in fire ravaged Waller County." SusanAnn13 said, "Please send the rain to Houston." Texian2 said, "Thanks, God. Now, if you don't mind, could we get a drop or two in South Texas?" jdurand said, "We just need some of this a little further east where all the fires are."

Dano973 said, "Georgia had a two-year long drought like this about six years ago when Lake Lanier was just about empty. I remember hearing a meteorologist say it would have to rain for a week to make a difference. Well it ended up raining for a week ... then a month. Be patient, my friends."

Mayweather out to prove he's still Money

The boxing match this Saturday is between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Victor Ortiz, but the talk from CNN.com readers was mostly about Manny Pacquiao. "The boxing public wants - demands - that the two fight before they get too old and their marvelous skills erode," writes CNN.com's Steve Almasy.

MeanOldMan said, "He proves only that he is afraid until he fights Manny Pacquiao." benbuttons said, "Pacman would smoke ol' Floyd."

mikereal said, "That people put Pacquiao ahead of Floyd baffles me. How many times does Floyd have to prove himself? People know he can out box Pacman and will do so when they meet. And yes they will meet: The payday is going to be too big to pass up. If you want some cold, hard facts about what might happen when they do, watch the Flyod Mayweather vs. Marquez fight, then watch Pacman vs. Marquez. Mayweather was untouched in his meeting with Marquez."

4256213 replied, "Wow, you are clueless. Have you even watched Pacquiao's last 10 fights? His boxing skills improve tenfold after each fight. Mayweather has been the same boring fighter for the past seven years."

geolobo agreed, "You clearly know nothing about boxing if you think Floyd will outclass Pacman. This is a fight where two styles were meant for one another. One, a great defensive fighter; the other, a great, great offensive fighter. If Shane Mosley can wobble Floyd early; Pacman can ruin him early."

yakasha2 said, "Mayweather may be scared of a little juice, but Manny appears to be afraid of a drug test. Why would that be?" Fkdiscus said, "Not a big Manny fan, but boy does that guy have fast hands and feet. If Mayweather can hit him, he will win but not sure that's a given."

Oh, and about the match Saturday ... harms said, "I can't wait to see this fight." Maximus7 said, "God, I want Ortiz to pull this off, I am not a FM fan, but give the devil his due: Floyd is a genius in the ring. How could Ortiz pull this off? The only way I see is to get Floyd against the ropes (good luck) and use his superior punching power to work to the body for the first 5 to 7 rounds to try and take Floyd's legs away, then transition to body and head combos. Ortiz needs to be thinking twelve rounds for this one. Good luck Ortiz!"

Nourishing New York's low-income communities

Fresh out of college and determined to make a difference, Gina Keatley turned down more lucrative culinary jobs to start Nourishing NYC, which provides free fresh food and nutritional education to nearly 100,000 people in Harlem and the Bronx. Many CNN.com readers congratulated her on her work.

chlim said, "More stories like this please. Show us how we are making a difference. Empowered people do so much more than scared, helpless, hopeless people."

nicolechip said, "What an inspirational woman. To hear how she struggled with poverty and homelessness as a child, but managed to get through culinary school: This is the type of person we should all aspire to be. Imagine if NYC had fewer Wall Street cut throats and more Gina Keatleys." auxNewz said, "I hope this program goes nation wide."

Readers argued over the problems of encouraging those in the inner cities to improve their diets. Guest said, "I remember a news segment about a year ago: One mom in Chicago said, 'I can get any drug or gun I want within three hours. Do you know how far I have to go to find a fresh tomato?' "

pin said, "Nothing wrong with folks trying to help, but people need to take responsibility for their lives. In a country with so many resources of information, most folks know what is good or bad concerning their health. You can eat a healthy diet on a limited income."

AndreaMilnes replied, "How do you expect somebody to be able to get that information if they had a poor education as a child? Imagine being stuck at a third-grade reading level trying to figure out different types of sugar, fat, and food chemicals. Imagine if you were functionally illiterate trying to read packaging. It is possible to eat healthy on a limited income, but if you don't have the skills to learn how, then you're in a bit of a pickle, aren't you?"

cozmik1 said, "My mother used drugs, neglected me, and then abandoned me when I was in high school. I grew up poor, around addicts and crazies, and I have a major medical condition. As a young adult, I made barely more than the minimum wage and lived in the inner city, yet ate an extraordinarily healthy diet–lentils, brown rice and carrots, cabbage, onions. I bought fruit in the bag and bunches of bananas, low-priced natural peanut butter and drank water. My heart used to gush for everyone, but as I've aged I've realized that life is hard. No matter if your situation is the result of upbringing or a deliberate act on your part, you are still the only person who can fix it."

1. Phuck Banasy

Joey Imanidiot-Frashotti

September 17, 2011 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. saywhat

Shut up stupid troll

September 17, 2011 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Willowstick

Banasy is smarter than a troll.

September 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Robert Black

I am glad that Texas was blessed with rain. This is not really earth shaking news. What I am concerned with is that we have major stories breaking in Washington and the world leading news net work has missed the stories. The Solyndra scandal reveals corruption in the highest office. The administration sending aides to lie and assure congress woman that all is well when the company was failing. The story of great concern is the white house pushing the broadband project of the long time financial backer. Then ordering a four star general to lie to congress. Please CNN get to the bottom of this.

September 17, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Robert Black

The world depends on CNN to tell the important news of the day. We have a story that is developing on the fact that Holder and Obama armed the drug cartels which led to the murder of thousands of innocence citizens of Mexico. These guns are showing up at crimes scenes throughout Mexico and the United States.There is evidence that Home land security along with the department of justice has attempted to smother the story. CNN please devote time to this. Its importance is far greater than where cows get water in Texas. We had droughts in Texas all my life-good years and bad years. I have never heard of the Department of Justice arming drug gangs. Why are you not covering this story?

September 17, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soporifix

That's like saying, "Why are the media covering Hurricane Katrina? I had plenty of thunderstorms in my life." You might not have noticed, but this has been the worst drought and hottest year in the recorded history of Texas. So no, you never experienced anything like this.

September 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. funky bunch

Its cold and cloudy in NWK NJ.

September 17, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ZweiStein

96 degrees, 8% humidity, slight breeze and sunny (not one cloud) in Arizona – hour west of Phoenix. Putting achiote marinated chicken on the mesquite fired grill. Get here in an hour for dinner. Bring your own beer, but if you run low, I've got Tecate.

September 17, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mylifemyway

Waiting for Rick Perry to claim his prayers were answered...

September 17, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Melissa

I can't sleep. My boyfriend broke up. I was with a friend at a party. He got so jealous. I miss him.

September 17, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sarah Gripple

Robert Black,I know. This is worse than the Reagan and Iran arms deal. It is so sad but few seem to care about what is happening to innocent people in Mexico. This is a scandal,but it won't be treated like one.

September 18, 2011 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. dblake

I just read and article with raw data that shows that Man-made global warming is a scam. NASA has been tracking the temperature in the atmosphere for the last ten years. It shows that the atmosphere is not holding heat per Hansen model . The computer modeling is wrong. Another write up said that Hansen been on a climate scam since the early seventy and had data showing that we would be in another ice age in fifty years. It looks like I been scammed by Al-Gore and Hansen.

September 18, 2011 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Soporifix

A tiny bit of knowledge is a dengerous thing. if you're going to pick and choose from what you read in the news. how about instead of the one thing that might slightly support what you prefer to believe, you read the thousands and thousands of articles, papers, and interviews that say the opposite?

September 18, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dblake618

I am very discouraged. I just read that the Russian has reported that their data was massaged and that the people reporting their data deliberately reported false data. If a person can not trust a Vice President to be honest we are in worse shape than I thought.

September 18, 2011 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. RUFFNUTT ( TROLL SLAYER & KUNG-FU PANDA TRAINER )

this news trully is ground breaking!!!!... please have a report tell if they drunk some of the water or what the cows did next... i can't wait..

September 18, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  14. jmk

I have been praying very hard for this to happen. RAIN !!!!!! God bless the drought state of Texas!!! Feel so sorry for the starving cows and all animals.

September 18, 2011 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  15. RUFFNUTT ( TROLL SLAYER & KUNG-FU PANDA TRAINER )

rain is nice... i hope they get alot.. they have alot of dryness to make up for...

September 18, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |