Police: Soldier escaped military custody, vanished after chase
Pfc. Russell Marcum, 20, is considered armed and dangerous, New York state police say.
September 16th, 2011

Police: Soldier escaped military custody, vanished after chase

State police in central New York are looking for a U.S. soldier who they say escaped military custody at Fort Drum, stole his parents' car and led police on a four-county chase.

Pfc. Russell Marcum, 20, of Morgantown, West Virginia, is considered armed and dangerous, state police said.

Marcum, who was in "unit custody" on the base after being arrested earlier in the week on suspicion of burglary, eluded officials on base Thursday night, got into an altercation with a fellow soldier and stole his parents’ 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche, state Trooper Jack Keller said.

He drove away from the area and led police on a chase, Keller said. The car eventually went over stop sticks that police had deployed in rural Otsego County, and Marcum lost control of the vehicle, according to Keller.

Marcum left the car and fled into a wooded area, and he hasn’t been seen since, Keller said.

Just hours before he left Fort Drum, Marcum’s parents bailed him out of the Jefferson County (New York) Jail, where he’d been held since Monday on burglary charges, Fort Drum spokeswoman Julie Cupernall said. He was placed into unit custody at Fort Drum after his parents posted bail, Cupernall said.

Marcum joined the Army in August 2010 and was deployed to Afghanistan from January to March, Cupernall said.

Post by:
Filed under: Fort Hood • Military • New York
  1. jorgez

FREE Oil Trading Room: The time has come for me personally to demonstrate the secret code for FREE twice per month in REAL TIME inside my online trading room. I will show that I know which direction oil is going to go over and over and over again without end. You are all invited to watch a scientist demonstrate how the oil market trades via a computer program. Google Oil Trading Academy to learn more.

September 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nitalynn

Sad. Young man has well and truly ruined his life. Parents aren't going to be able to protect him this time.

September 18, 2011 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. va

This situation is being blown way out of proportion.. yes he broke the law, yes he is in the wrong, and yes he has served in the military.. I love how people are so quick to judge this boy and assume he has issues from ptsd and that he is an awful disgrace... yes he screwed up, he's young, he panicked... has no one else out there ever made a mistake or bad decision?? I'm not saying he should go free or anthing, I just can't stand to read comments about how the military "screwed his mind up" I know plenty of civilians who make stupid decisions on a daily basis

September 18, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Connie

I've made mistakes, but I've never led police on a chase....

September 19, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
    • prekkerr

Well put. If this KID wasn't in the Army this story would have been buried someplace.

September 19, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • krehator

Everyone is a saint when it comes time to point fingers at others.

September 19, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • sbast18

Say what you will but the kid is sick. I've read some posts about PTSD and I'm here to tell you that it's real. In fact, I would challenge any one of you armchair warriors to go spend a day or two in Afghanistan or Iraq. The guy needs help and, when they catch him, he'll get it and time in the brig to think about his actions, as well.

September 19, 2011 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Nunya

So this is where the angry illiterate hide...brush up on your chinese because the way you people are wasting time on a sensational story this country will be easily overrun...not to worry about this fellow..once they change the enlistment rules all those arts and crafts they add to basic training will help ease the stress of military duty

September 18, 2011 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • American

Everyone knows that you shouldent judge a group for the actions of just a few, but it does happen. The vast majority of millitary personnel are exeptional people that bring great credit to the country. I think nunya needs to be dropped off in the middle of rurral afganistan in a bedazzled bikini and see how he/she does.

September 19, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Nunya

I personally cant wait for the new bedazzled uniforms and hopefully theyll steer away from those drab colors...maybe throw a handkerchief around the neck to add some horizontal lines

September 18, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dog4dog

stealing is never right and he should be punished but i must say good job my boy i wouldn't expect anything less out of our soldiers, getting away from the cops, good boy, proud of the troops

September 18, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dog4dog

he sais "i'm in the woods come get me"

September 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dj 10 gallon

Hot Country Mixtapes $4.99!!! Jason Aldean featuring Danny Gokey; Taylor Swift, Reba, and a special Willie Nelson featuring Snoop Dogg mix! I got hot Country beats for sale! Country is where its at and where it'll always be!

September 18, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. a flock of seaguls

"And I ran....I ran so far away!"

September 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. human league

"Don't you want me baby...don't you want me oooooohhhh!!!!"

September 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. cone

They drew first blood!!!!

September 18, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. theRealNkempa

YOUNS youns YOUNS youns what an amazing word....

September 19, 2011 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
    • nkrempa

Amazing... yes. But what does it MEAN?

September 19, 2011 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
    • @tux

Really?? Can you please learn to spell? And were you never a YOUNS before or did you just come out of your mommy a grown up with a 2 year old brain?

September 19, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. theRealNkrempa

Youns -yaw•ns – verb.1. Slang/ebonics for the proper english term yawns. 2. Act of yawning 3.a possible hybrid of "yours" and "yawns", demonstrating possesion of a yawn, I.e. Your yawn

September 19, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  14. BOND, JAMES

Fry him, he is a baby, sounds llike momies boy, proly why he didnt make it, private benjiman punk. dont get a free pass, ur dumb enough to join u get what u get

September 19, 2011 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Proud American

You need a kick in the face!

September 19, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. George Bush

Ha if he had barbaras tig ole bitties to come home to every night he'd have PTSD from those milkjugs!! Hhhehheeewhooooo!!!!

September 19, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |