September 16th, 2011

Lockdown of Arizona Air Force base ends

[Updated at 8:15 p.m. ET] Officials at a U.S. Air Force Base in southern Arizona have called off their response to a security situation that prompted a base-wide lock down, the Air Force said Friday in a statement.

The release notes that "increased security measures were taken around the base following the unconfirmed sighting of a man entering an office building, apparently armed."

No further information was provided on the situation or the person, whom the release characterized as a "suspect." But the Air Force did state that its officials have "terminated" their response to the incident.

[Updated at 6:57 p.m. ET] A gunman is holed up in a building on a U.S. Air Force base in Tucson, Arizona, a U.S. military official said.

No shots have been fired and law enforcement teams are on site, said the official, who has direct knowledge of the situation from conversations with base officials but did not want to be identified.

[Initial post, 3:45 p.m. ET] Arizona's Davis-Monthan Air Force Base was placed on lockdown Friday morning after an unconfirmed report of a someone suspicious with a weapon, Tech Sgt. Russ Martin told reporters.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2011/09/16/az-air-base-lock-down.cnn"%5D

No shots have been fired, and nobody is hurt, said a different base representative, Staff Sgt. Caitlyn Jones.

Two schools on the base in Tucson, including Borman Elementary School, also were locked down. Perimeter and classroom doors were locked, and students are staying where they are, said Karen Bynum, executive assistant to Superintendent John Pedicone.

Base representatives said the report was being investigated, and that the reportedly suspicious person has not been located.

FULL STORY
  1. fernace

Some middle school kids, who have been in the boys bathroom laughing their asses off, are in soooo much trouble!! 🙁

September 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • paul

yeah wise guy. it's all funny until the bodies sr\tart piling up,

September 16, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Barry Ziegler

Not wise to fool with the USAF. They can get serious.
    USAF vet.

September 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sparky

Have served in the USMC I've had many opportunity to "fool" with the USAF and on more then one occassion wound up in USAF custody. (those where the days) I had to laugh though as your statement made me recall a time I was in USAF custody and a guard left me in an office with his loaded m-16. Luckily for them I wasn't a lunatic or some jihadist out for vengance.

The USAF looked pretty foolish to me that day.

September 16, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marine Corps Vet

oh yeah...USAF so tough they have a 2 week course in basic to learn how to fold underwear...

September 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob

LOL!!! that's true!!! I was in the AF, basic training was a JOKE!

September 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • whoa

Maybe back then it was a joke, but the bmt of the Air Force is a lot tougher then you think.

September 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • jmac

US Army Ret. Served with some USAF guys in NO. Saved our a $ $ e s with some pretty slick, professional moves. Thanks AF.

September 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Bleh, unless they're SAR or the 160th, they're a bunch of kittens.

September 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • mm

Physically, USAF Basic was a joke, but also a finely tuned psychological exercise. If you've ever been jacked up on a USAF flight line because you weren't supposed to be there, you might have an entirely different perspective on just how serious they can be.

September 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Sparky, you should have looked in the mirror if you wanted foolish. After all, you were the one in custody...just saying.

September 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sirc

You guys can make all the fun you want of the USAF. I respect all arms of the military. And I'm guessing you have a lot more regard for the USAF when they are providing air cover for those on the ground.

September 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • ic32teeth

Don't mess with USAF we take things very seriously just like our branches do. USAF retired

September 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sheila

Isn't it the United States Air Farce?

September 16, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sirc

Sorry, that wasn't meant for Barry, but rather for the people in this thread making fun of the guys saving your ass. Death from above!

September 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robert

Well, make fun all day at the air force. But that A-10 in the photo means business. You Army and Marines might want to respect it.

September 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

All branches have a specific duty to carry out for our missions to be successful and thank you to all who served, regardless of the branch.

September 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • The King

Also retired USAF. Sure, it's not as "hard core" as some of the other branches, which is what drew me to it. They are looking for intelligent people to fill positions that require more technical expertise. Their misssion is launching aircraft to complete sorties, and that is where their focus is. But, if you want to play games, they've got personnel that will square you away on the spot.
      retired 3C091

September 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • mp531

joke or not, the toughness of the AF isn't the issue here so maybe we could all be nice and hope we don't have another FT. Hood on our hands. Also, DM has SAR. The have A-10s. They constantly bail soldiers and marines out of bad places so maybe you guys could quit bickering over the bada$$e$ you think you are and show some human decency.

September 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Derrique Stuckey

Why didn't YOU guys join the Air Force, as well? Oh, that's right. You weren't smart enough. Sucks to be you. By the way, the Air Force has the hardest PT program right now. Yes, it's even harder than yours was. The days of the "Chair Force" are over. Go ahead, though. You guys keep getting wasted, acting like kids, and raping women, and we'll forever be here to clean up your messes. We're on the same team, but if you want to dish it out, expect to receive it, in return.

September 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

MP531, I bust on them, but it's all in fun. Face to face, they know it and bust back. 🙂
      I'd just ask if I come out of retirement, that the A-10 pilot kindly recycle his brass when he's flying CAS overhead. That stuff smarts!

Derrique, try growing a sense of humor. Knuckledraging and all is fine, but not a single one of my men were getting wasted, joking around or raping women. We were a bit too busy to do that and if you read my previous comment, I mentioned SAR and the Night Stalkers, the latter get some of the same jokes, but we loved them, as they saved our bacon quite a lot of times. And one falls deeply in love with an AC-130!
      And I know REALLY well that there are only two branches that can deliver that JDAM.
      So, while I rib my fellow branches and even our gun bunnies, it's with a kind heart. For, I remember calling, with great concern about seeing the next five mikes and having it magically and wonderfully rain heave steel from above upon those who formerly outnumbered us.
      I don't care what branch you served it, that you served is sufficient.
      And our mutual jokes shall continue, not out of slight, but out of familial love.
      Oh, I was more than qualified to join the Air Force, in anything except crypto, my math wasn't up to snuff for that.
      But, I sure can still call off an accurate 10 digit grid with only a compass and a map.
      But, at least on the ground, nobody could shoot at me with something that can chase me around! 😉

September 16, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. aaron

Bucky Larsons gone crazy again

September 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chris

Most likely someone going to the gun club/range on base.

September 16, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Now THAT would be a winner! Not highly unlikely, if the word wasn't passed that someone had a private weapon on the way to the range.

September 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Marcus

TSgt or Technical Sergeant. Not Tech Sgt. That;s not how its properly written. Thanks.

September 16, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • turtle

The 20 years I spent in the AF tech Sgt was the way we refured to Technical sergeant but that was back in the late 70s and that wasa how I refered to myself when I was at that rank..

September 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • noway husam

It's Tech Sarg if we say it is, and there's nothing you can do about it. Go cry to your officer.

September 16, 2011 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • USAF E-5

That's how it's written according to AF PA guidelines. Look up how they abbreviate Chief. It's weird, I know.

September 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Johhny Appleseed

I heard that a UFO landed and was attempting to obscond with a bunch of school children. The Air Force said no way strangers... and that is where we are now,in a mexican standoff. The A-10 thunderbolts that everyone thinks landed, were actually forced down by the UFOs. Man, what a crazy world we live in.

September 16, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jay

Since it is the Airforce it was probably a kid with a stick! But seriously – hope it was just a false alarm!

September 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Actually, it was determined to be a loose WMD, a mother in law with a rolling pin.
      A mixed delegation of USMC, US Army Special Forces, US Navy SEAL teams and USAF SAR confronted her and surrendered. 😉

September 16, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Great American Hero

Isn't Arizona in Hawaii? That's where all the wealthy Chinese came to buy American pineapples, right?

September 16, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. denim

Wait, weapons? On a military base? No wai.

September 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. gary

close the base down permanently! Spend the money on schools.

September 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

So that we can be singing the praises of Allah under the Taliban caliphate, right?

September 16, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • ggkthxnore

K we'lll just leave all the decomissioned aircraft at DM for the Chinese to take then. Idiot

September 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Eddie

As a US Army Soldier, I trained at Sheppard Air Force base and was stationed at Hill AFB. While at Sheppard, our Platoon conducted a ruck march complete with "dummy" M-16's and the residents of on-base housing called the base police and reported us because they were scared of people marching in uniform with weapons (ours weren't real) on base.

While at Hill, I did an individual ruck march carrying another artificial M-16, called a Bluegun. (Yes, it is blue in color) Well, during the ruck march a base police officer came flying towards me after having driven down several roads in front of me with his lights flashing. I could tell he was looking for someone. As he approached me he motioned for me to come towards his vehicle. As I got closer he was laughing and said over his radio "Be advised, it's just a blue gun" Apparently someone had called in after seeing me in uniform with a blue, plastic-rubber M-16. I guess the Air Force isn't use to seeing people march with rucksacks on and weapons in hand. LOL

September 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • adam

They are called smurf guns lol

September 16, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chiz

Hey CNN...
    If this is a breaking news story, please, please, please, DON'T put a stupid advertisement in front of the story for video playback!! How lame is that?!
    I may have potential family member(s) on that particular base, and I have to wait 30 seconds before I even know the details of what's going on?
    CNN = fail!

September 16, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tripp

Probably some guy eating a bananna.

September 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tina

I as a USAF miitary wife, I will have to defend them here. Who calls on the USAF when they need air support??? The Army, and Marines. Just saying..... 🙂

September 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Call Sign Sarin

Marines have their own air support

September 16, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

These days, everything is joint. I don't care WHAT branch is delivering that steel rain, JDAM or missile. I only care that they're there when I need them.
      If I rib them, they'll rib back with no malice.
      Because, at the end of the day, we're all one team.

September 16, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mike

The Air Force is a branch of the military as the other services.You put your time in service the same as others,and follow the military rules&regulations.To make jokes about the USAF,as much as it seems funny,the airmen who serve,serve this country as well as those in any other branch.To serve your country in the military service is an honor,that not anyone can do.

September 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • ggkthxnore

I know at least 3 airman on my base who came home in a casket, chair force indeed.

September 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Mike, I'm a recent retiree, over 27 years in the US Army. I've called for air strikes more times than I want to remember, from all branches aircraft, depending on who was in the area and their ordinance loadout. I've ribbed my own branch as much as any other branch, but all present knew it was all in fun and with kindness.

gg, sorry to hear that. I know that feeling all too well, we've all lost good men in this war. 🙁

September 16, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |