September 16th, 2011

Lockdown of Arizona Air Force base ends

[Updated at 8:15 p.m. ET] Officials at a U.S. Air Force Base in southern Arizona have called off their response to a security situation that prompted a base-wide lock down, the Air Force said Friday in a statement.

The release notes that "increased security measures were taken around the base following the unconfirmed sighting of a man entering an office building, apparently armed."

No further information was provided on the situation or the person, whom the release characterized as a "suspect." But the Air Force did state that its officials have "terminated" their response to the incident.

[Updated at 6:57 p.m. ET] A gunman is holed up in a building on a U.S. Air Force base in Tucson, Arizona, a U.S. military official said.

No shots have been fired and law enforcement teams are on site, said the official, who has direct knowledge of the situation from conversations with base officials but did not want to be identified.

[Initial post, 3:45 p.m. ET] Arizona's Davis-Monthan Air Force Base was placed on lockdown Friday morning after an unconfirmed report of a someone suspicious with a weapon, Tech Sgt. Russ Martin told reporters.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2011/09/16/az-air-base-lock-down.cnn"%5D

No shots have been fired, and nobody is hurt, said a different base representative, Staff Sgt. Caitlyn Jones.

Two schools on the base in Tucson, including Borman Elementary School, also were locked down. Perimeter and classroom doors were locked, and students are staying where they are, said Karen Bynum, executive assistant to Superintendent John Pedicone.

Base representatives said the report was being investigated, and that the reportedly suspicious person has not been located.

FULL STORY
  1. TJAF

There's a real situation on one of OUR military bases where OUR guys and their families are and you @ssholes make jokes? Really? Were you jokers talking crap when Fort Wood got shot up? It is the "chair force" and their A-10's that save your @ss when your pinned down so go to hell.

September 16, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Libertarian

Hey Dudley- calling it the chair force isn't disrespecting the AF. Like I said, twelve of my service years were in the AF. Quit being an uptight baby.

September 16, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dudley041518

US Armed Forces Forever! You nay-sayers are not true Americans or true vets. The rest of you ought to excoriate these traitorous clowns.

September 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MarinePoolee

Hahahaha that Air Force is so lame. And there bootcamp is the biggest joke I have ever heard of. Marine Corps is the way to go, the finest fighting force in the world, Semper Fidelis. And on another note, congrats to former MARINE Dakota Meyer for being awarded the Medal of Honor you deserved is.

September 16, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alamo

You couldn't be more of an example of how dumb and ignorant young Marines can be. I've tossed scores of you in handcuffs for acting out and just being fools. Finest fighting force? Sure. Keep up the great bullet stopping power, jarhead.

September 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • AF Vet

You know what is the funny part. I have 2 very close friends that have been in the Marine Corps for about 10 years now, both males. Yet, in their 10 years of serving they have never deployed and have worked back office all their career. Wait, one of them actually did say he deployed, with the NAVY in the pacific just stoping in ports (a vacation)! Yet the average AF member has deployed in their first enlistment 1 or 2 times; Not to a vacation destination, but to the middle east. Please remember about all your sitting chair Marines, before you judge another branch.

September 16, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon

And @AFVET Our "chair sitting MARINES" do more work than some of those that have been deployed. Please don't disrespect them because if it weren't for them, Marines wouldn't get paid, get chow, and Marines DOWN RANGE would NOT be able to accomplish the mission. And when CHAIR SITTING MARINES get deployed, they don't sit behind a desk in Afghanistan or Iraq...they go on patrols or working parties outside the wire and are in just as much jeopardy and are risking just as much as the grunt next to them.

September 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon

@Alamo you took the words right out of my mouth. @MarinePoolee...you're a POOLEE. Wait until you've served your time like some of us before you start running your trap about stuff you know NOTHING about. Thanks.

September 16, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • AF Vet

Anon, I agree with you they are people to be respected or finance guys and services guys do deploy too. I was only making a point that a lot of Marines do not deploy and are not out there fighting. Yet, the Air Force gets belittled any chance by fellow arm forces members and call us chair force when we have been deployment constantly. The sad thing is they do not even have their facts straight. I respect every branch for what they do and are all equally important. However, I am not going to allow other people to disrespect the AF, when their facts are not correct.

September 16, 2011 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Always USAF

If it is a serious breach of security this is no joke! The USAF is very serious about a secure base.

September 16, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. TJAF

Take a chilll pill and sit in a chair 😉 lol. Yes they save our asses when we are in the field but that still doesnt negate the fact tha they are the chair force lol

September 16, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abby

I just spent 12 months deployed with the Army. I can tell you that this "Chair Force" person was there because the Army didn't have the skillset to do what I was doing. Call us what you want, but we are the ones called when something needs to be done right!!

September 16, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • AF Vet

Agree with Abby, most of our AF guys get tasked on deployment with the Army because they need our skillset. We train with the Army before the deployment and guess what " we survive" and have the skills that the Air Force provided. I think the reason most of you are upset because the Air Force actually cares about their people. They go out of our way to still allow us to be individuals. In case you had not educated yourself the physical requirements have toughen up in the AF so think before you speak. I am sure if you could re-enlist you would go the Air Force way. I know many Marines, Army, and Navy friends that advised me before I even joined to go Air Force, because they care about their people.

September 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Libertarian

How many admin warriors do we have here?

September 16, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Libertarian

Thanks, TJAF. Someone gets it.

September 16, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cindee

As a military wife of a TSgt who is currently holed up at Davis Monthan because of this situation, I have to say I am quite offended by some of the crap you, who have posted have said. Doesn't matter what branch of the service it is, there are mother and fathers and children who are scared because of this situation and all of who have to say is cracking on basic training and whose branch is better. No matter what these people on a daily basis lay down their lives to protect others. So why not have a little bit of respect and be a little understanding of the how the situation may feel to those who have husbands, wives, daughters, sons, and children locked down on the base, not knowing what is going on.

September 16, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon

@Cindee I couldn't agree with you more! I'm a Marine and a mom to a beautiful one year old boy who goes to daycare on base. I know if I were in this situation, just as any person in any other branch...I would be just as fearful.

September 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Senfu

If it’s just a "report of someone with a gun" and nothing to worry about and it's just routine security, then why did Tucson’s Bomb squad and SWAT just go rushing into Davis-Monthan and the police block off the busy street next to the base 3 hours after it all started and one hour after they said their was nothing to worry about?

September 16, 2011 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jet214

You have to have a high IQ to join the AF. All of the dump shiits join the army and marines. America needs stupid people, they are the bullet catchers of our Nation. You'll never see any politican's kids joining the army or marines. Thank you for you service dumb shiits our county needs you!!

September 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Senfu

WOW Jet214, you’re not very smart are you? To get into the Marines you have to have a very high GPA and then pass boot camp which less than 50% do. Marines are very brave and smart soldiers and do the jobs most turn away and run from. I take it you have never served your country but willing to reap from others service.

September 16, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andie

Let's see here Jet214:
      Tim Johnson, current senior Senator from South Dakota has a son in the U.S. Army that's served in Iraq.
      Kit Bond, U.S. Senator from Missouri up until January of this year has a son in the Marine Corps who served 2 tours in Iraq as of 2007.
      Vice President Joe Biden's son is a member of the Army National Guard and serves as Captain in JAG Corps, completing a 1 year deployment to Iraq in September of 2009.
      Former Representative ('93-'09) Duncan L. Hunter from California has a son who is a veteran of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as part of the U.S. Marine Corps.
      Representative Joe Wilson of South Carolina has 1 son who served a year as an intelligence officer in southern Iraq as a Major in the Army National Guard as well as well as two other sons that are members of the Army National Guard while his other son is a Lieutenant in the Navy.

Just to name a few...

September 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Karen

My father, a wonderful, kind, intelligent man, was in the Air Force for 24 years. During those years, I lived in Europe, Asia, and several different states. I received a good education in good schools and a wonderful education in how small the world is and how valuable a variety of cultures is. I am not familiar with the other armed forces but I can tell you that people join the service for a wide variety of reasons. Everything from: Need a job to want to learn a specific trade to having the opportunity to fly jets or earn a degree. I just can't understand why a story about concern for people in possible danger can turn into a free-for-all against people you've never met. But, it is truly a mark of stupidity.

September 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Libertarian

Alright, men/women, I'll let you get back to your reading. Just wanted to stop in and irritate a few people.

Cheers!

September 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mom

Sorry "guys"; I thought I'd read the comments to see what is happening on the base–my son and his girlfriend are there. Instead, I have to weed through this bull$#%^ macho-crap. I say, thanks to ALL who defend our nation and our families regardless of branch or rank. All took an oath and have given up more than most civies realize.

September 16, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Richard Fore

This is all fake, govenment conspiricy.

September 16, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Iconoclast

You're a government conspiracy!

September 16, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |