September 16th, 2011

Lockdown of Arizona Air Force base ends

[Updated at 8:15 p.m. ET] Officials at a U.S. Air Force Base in southern Arizona have called off their response to a security situation that prompted a base-wide lock down, the Air Force said Friday in a statement.

The release notes that "increased security measures were taken around the base following the unconfirmed sighting of a man entering an office building, apparently armed."

No further information was provided on the situation or the person, whom the release characterized as a "suspect." But the Air Force did state that its officials have "terminated" their response to the incident.

[Updated at 6:57 p.m. ET] A gunman is holed up in a building on a U.S. Air Force base in Tucson, Arizona, a U.S. military official said.

No shots have been fired and law enforcement teams are on site, said the official, who has direct knowledge of the situation from conversations with base officials but did not want to be identified.

[Initial post, 3:45 p.m. ET] Arizona's Davis-Monthan Air Force Base was placed on lockdown Friday morning after an unconfirmed report of a someone suspicious with a weapon, Tech Sgt. Russ Martin told reporters.

[cnn-video url="http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2011/09/16/az-air-base-lock-down.cnn"%5D

No shots have been fired, and nobody is hurt, said a different base representative, Staff Sgt. Caitlyn Jones.

Two schools on the base in Tucson, including Borman Elementary School, also were locked down. Perimeter and classroom doors were locked, and students are staying where they are, said Karen Bynum, executive assistant to Superintendent John Pedicone.

Base representatives said the report was being investigated, and that the reportedly suspicious person has not been located.

FULL STORY
  1. PlaneJane

For those of you with family you can't reach – my sister is on base. Her reply to my "are you okay" text is the following: "Yes, thanks. News is trying to make more out of it than necessary."

September 16, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Motley

yeah not much really here (born and raised in tucson with family there, in phoenix now),.. the base is huge with lots and lots of desert land with the airplane graveyard,... it was a report of someone possibly with a gun on base,.... but that could mean someone running from law enforcement jumped a fence in this area that really is not near military personel while trying to hide amongst the planes or something,...

September 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Motley

actually the latest is that it was a guy with a gun running from law enforcement, barricaded himself in a room that was an old building,..

really nothing but your typical criminal stuff,.. it just happened he ran in the direction and got on base (not really that hard to do in much of this base as there is a lot of it just old planes that are empty shells and desert (however it is still monitored so if you jump the fence there you will have military on you very quick),... the main parts of the base are much more secure

September 16, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cynthia

Considering all that has happened on military bases and school campuses I'd rather your sister be subjected to over-reaction than under-reaction. I'm sure all WILL end well, but let's make sure the odds are better.

September 16, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ella

The comments here are pitiful! I'm here I'm stuck in my house. My daughter is stuck in school off base and unable to come home. I'm unable to go get her. This is not fake. Grow up people!

September 16, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Prayers for strength to you all.

September 16, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kimberley

Thanks Ella for info. Hope everyone is still safe. What time did this start?

September 16, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. joe

you cant get in the usa military without at least a GED

September 16, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. AF Chick

Most military member now have some college or are 3/4's of the way towards their degree. With the introduction of online learning, many enlisted members are being promoted to Officer within a year or two of enlisting. The number one reason for joining the military is to earn a degree.

The kids who serve in today's army/military deserve all our respect..these kids endure unimaginable horror and conditions that would boggle the mind of an ordinary citizen. They have 10 times the maturity and intelligence that regular civilian kids do and they put their lives on the line each and every single day. These kids are responsible for other people's lives, where other civilian kids their age are only worried about what frat party they'll go to this weekend.

Please do not disrepect these military members, as they endure stresses and obligations that you cannot imagine- so unless you put on a pair of combat boots and serve your country- you should just say "thank you" and go about your day.

September 16, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. pelicansnout

I've served in both the USAF and the USN as enlisted, and I've worked alongside Coast Guardsmen and United States Marines. While I enjoyed seving in both branches, I had the most fun in the Navy. However, The United States Marine is far more disciplined than any other service member I have ever worked with, and I feel it was a distinguished honor to have worked under and with their SNCO's & NCO's.

If you happen to be a fellow American:
    Anyone having the misfortune of a diluted frame of mind to talk down upon ANY servicemember of ANY branch, regardless of his or her level of education need not exsit on U.S.and Soverign U.S. territories, and you may egress when convenient. You may also stay, that's the very reason why we have those 'under-educated military-types'. See, they, or WE provide and have provided and enforced the roots that have lead all the way up to your misguided assuption of freedom of expression, and sometimes, freedom of being an arrogant fool in this case. Do me a favor, take a stroll down to your nearest Veteran's Cemetary, and ask the fallen what their level of education was. Take a moment to utilize your own alleged breadth of wisdom and education, it may help you become a better American.

September 16, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ssg j

Ok people. This is what makes out country so great. The freedom of speech. Let any one who says that the military is for drop outs keep talking. That person is just trying to start a fight. Let it go we have bigger wars to fight. Although the Army is the largest branch the rest of the military plays a vital role in securing this country as best it can from all who threaten it. I am proud to be a soldier as my wife would say you don't like this country go some where else. Have a great day. p.s. To my brothers and sisters in the military you are all great Americans! Thank you for your support.

September 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mary Lou

My husband is a WW II Army veteran. Both of our sons enlisted in the military during their senior year of high school –
    oldest one in Marines for 4 1/2 years; younger son, Navy, was on active duty at Charleston SC Nuclear Sub Base
    just beginning his first year, when he was involved in a freakish vehicle accident and died almost instantly. The Navy
    brought him home and sent his best buddy with the body. The Navy performed the burial services and had taken
    care of us as soon as the accident happened, and continued to check with us for about six months to see if there
    was anything we needed. I can understand how difficult it is to bury a child, and how the mothers of military
    service feel when they have to bury their sons or daughters. Probably by now he would be married and have
    children. Our whole family misses him, but as his mother, it was a piece of me that they lowered that casket
    into the ground. He has a government stone along with a metal standard which has a fresh U S flag in it at
    all times. I am proud of our military, then – now – and for the future. Once in awhile you find a bad apple
    but the GOOD ones are far and away the better and greater part of our military. Also, respect our veterans
    for they have served and many came home with lifelong threatening medical problems. I want to note
    here that the suicide rate for the military and veterans is raising – over 20 in month of August !!!!!!! Problems
    arising from their service has undoubtedly caused this. Those families experiencing the death of a loved
    one should be as much respected in their family member's death, as those who were killed in action.
    'Nuf said, but I hope you will all respect our military – the greatest on Earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 16, 2011 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chuck

Hopefully this ends without any injuries.

September 16, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John

All services of the US Military make lite jokes about each other, but know each service has a different mission to make a team and work very well together. Air support and medical are big for the Air Force in the current wars.

I am retired (2007) with two tours in Iraq as a nurse. Half my career was as a weapons controller (dog fight fighter jet controller) then as an RN ICU nurse.

The Army sure appreciates the Air Force because they know we are there for them as well as any other wounded service member or Iraqi. We treated friend and foe. EVERY TIME, enemy combatants commented they were suprised that we relieved their pain and did everything to save them.

Two short stories.... One very rare rainy stormy night a helicopter with wounded had to land at our clinic. We had an ER Doc and two Surgeons, lots of technicians and three nurses. Four wounded with serious injuries, I took the worst with legs blown out. The great Army field medics had stopped the blood loss, the guy looked ok and I felt we could save his legs (we did) and he would be OK. But he kept asking me if he was going to live. I said, Doc did you hear that? Yes! Give blood fast! If someone has an impending sense of doom they are right, they are dying. I pumped 8 pints of blood into him with pressure bags and he finally quit asking me if he was going to die. All in just a few minutes of adrenalin trying to save the troops. I'm proud of our service, Air force, and all the service members who risked their lives for the USA.

Every wounded service member I met asked when he/she could get back to their unit/didn't want to leave their unit. Elizabeth Lonchi (23 Air Force) Jan 2007 was the same. She was very nervous so I let her smoke on the flight line, a no-no, but I hid her. She had a small medical problem, was my patient and was two weeks from return to the USA. I was actually glad she was to be returned early to Landsthule Army Hospital in Germany for a fix and back home I thought! Nope she was fixed in Kuwait, sent back and had her butt blown off in a car bomb a few days later. Made it thru surgery, but died in recovery after valiant efforts to save her including opening her chest and massaging her heart by hand. I haven't gotten over her yet...

September 16, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Poojamore

John, take very good care of your heart and your head. We thank you brother for your service to this country and extending humanity to others. Peace. From a Navy brat...

September 16, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • adam

So proud of all of our warriors. So gratefull to all the doc's and medics who save their liives. God bless you.

September 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • jwbiii

On a day when a Marine was awarded a Medal of Honor for pulling wounded comrades out of an ambush killing zone, it seems appropriate to thank the doctors, nurses, and medics who do their level best to put their broken bodies back together. Thank you, John, and thank you to all of you with the same mission.

September 16, 2011 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. s kel

I am a US Army vet. 1/18 inf, Vanguard! I honor and respect all branches of the US Military, Army,Marines,Air Force,Navy, Coast Guard. But I do have to say in defence lf the ground pounders,Army, Marine that they get the majority of CMH, NC, DSC, Silver Star, Bronze Star. Thats all I have to say.

September 16, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ZweiStein

Air Force Security Police is very well trained and armed. They are responsible for the safety of all personnel – personnel that have lots of training including ground support – electronics of all types – mechanics – pilots etc. AND are responsible for the security of the most valuable resources/ assets the US has – not just in monetary terms. They do not fool around during a real situation. They do not/should not draw a weapon unless they intend to use it. If you have not been involved with them on the wrong side, then you really don't know the meaning of "jacked-up!"

September 16, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rennie

I went into the Air Force in 1966. To be able to build a Jet Engine and rebuild every jet aircraft in the military. You cannot be a nitwit. So to those that think we were all losers, You're the loser, you would never had made it. Yes there were some idiots but they didn't last long. We were the best of the best. You have to go to Tech school while in the service. They just don't hand you wrenches. Lord some of you that couldn't cut it anyways are losers. I lost some damn good friends during the war. If you think that if the draft retorts your just afraid, no balls to fight for your country. You want it all for free. To keep this country strong do something for your freedom. Damn jacklegs.

September 16, 2011 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • ZweiStein

Chanute for tech school in '66.

September 16, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rennie

Damn I hate this auto spell check crap.

September 16, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BL Davis

All of you who are doing the ranting and raving with regards to level of intelligence it takes to serve our country, you're missing the true trait that matters in order to serve your country: Willing to sacrifice your own life, so that your country will continue to be the pillar of freedom that it is. Many of us Veterans, come home & then continue a second career after Military retirement. Some Veterans, like myself, end up spending the remainder of our lives, dealing with the constant pain of whatever disability we have incurred. I served my Country as a member of the Air Force, and many times during my career, served with members of all the other branches of the Military. When it comes to defending this great nation, it matters not whether you are an Airman, Soldier, Seaman, or Marine, or a Member of any of the Guard/Reserve Units, WE ALL DEFEND AND PROTECT THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! And we all bleed the same blood. Unless you have had the privilege of serving this great nation, do not slander the wonderful Men & Women of the Military.

September 16, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • adam

Well said.

September 16, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Klonoa

lol military branch fighting.

September 16, 2011 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |