Police: Parishioners tackle gunman
September 18th, 2011

Police: Parishioners tackle gunman

Parishioners at a Lakeland, Florida, church tackled a gunman who allegedly shot the pastor and associate pastor on Sunday, holding the suspect until police arrived, the Polk County Sheriff's Office said.

Jeremiah Fogel, 57, was taken into custody following the incident at the Greater Faith Christian Church, the sheriff's office said in a statement. Fogel is also suspected of shooting another person, who died, at a residence before going to the church, police said.

Pastor William Boss and associate pastor Carl Stewart were being treated at Lakeland Regional Medical Center.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime • U.S.
  1. At everyone

I was speaking of mind-altering drugs that are prescribed to battle depression. 'Short-term use only' drugs that many Americans become addicted to for their entire lives. So don't go pretending that I speak of all medications. I speak of anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers, along with the various and sundry drugs that has America spending more on drugs than we do on National Defense. Plus there is the added expense of out decades long "war on drugs". Just wanted to set that straight.

September 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. WARNING found at many drug outlets

"WARNING! The medications prescribed at this facility are for short-term use ONLY. Any long-term use may result in PERMANANENT brain damage."–sign above the lobby entrance to the Pikes Peak Mental Health Clinic. Where people who cannot afford meds go to get "free" meds, meds that the taxpayer pays for. He is on California State disability and cannot afford expensive meds...he can afford co-pay, a small % of the costs. He was mugged by a gang of illegal Mexicans in San Diego over 30 years ago. He recovered from the damages, all exept for his depression. MD's diagnosed him with manic depression, and have been selling him (taxpayer) these dangerous drugs for over thirty years. Each time he takes his seroquel, it costs YOU about 40 bucks. I tried sueing them for violating their own warning sign, but they are incorported. It's very hard and it costs the big bucks to find an individual working for a corporation at fault. The director of this corporations is a multi-millionaire who needs volunteers to work at the facility. I couldn't afford the legal team I would have needed to successfully sue them.

September 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. WARNING found at many drug outlets

"He" is my oldest brother. He's been on various drugs said to be dealing with his depression since 1979. He's got about 1/2 of his oars still in the water. Each year, another oar breaks.

September 18, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cesar

@Police: Parishoners Tackle Boyman: True. Guess it may be a bit taboo. But who knows the real reason. I'm with you on this one big guy.

September 18, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. pilihP

@Cesar. Thanks brotha. (he he) I've been waiting my entire life for even one nationwide report of a gang of churchmembers to investigate their 'holy man' and catch him red-handed from slapping a boys ass. I have yet to see a nationwide news outlet produce such a story. (decades ago, some people I know, one of them whom I've gotten to know well through therapy, did catch one of these child-stalkers. We didn't wait on the police, who just acatch them and the judge releases them...no prison terms, just a requirement to register their address...as if we didn't already have it! he he

September 18, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jazzzzzzzz

@ WARNING ... Thank you very much for caring so much, to inform us all.
    And as I think we all know the NRA, Food and Drug, all Government agencies National and International
    Are tough to beat
    Unfortunately, these victims of Drug abuse by the facilities shoving the Meds down their throats for profit won't Justice served till God hands out his RATH to all

September 18, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

pilihP. I am sorry for your pain.

September 18, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. s kel

bansay I will pray your meds never run out. It would hurt me if they did.

September 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Fernance... I believe you should take a step back and LOOK at what kinda pain you would be in , having been thru what he has, but of course..How could I expect HUMANS to be intelligent and caring more so than animals.
    Sorry fernance, but that is just unbelievable to say to another human without thinking there is something to his life that what you just read.
    He IS the most caring and most decent man I know to date!
    Sometimes people do truly turn their life around to the point where they are exactly the OPPOSITE of what they were in their former life.
    Pain is released in many ways, maybe you should be more supportive of this theraputic out let for him, rather than wanting to SHOVE drugs down his throat that will ONLY dull the pain and NOT heal the pain of his past!
    Of course not completely but to an extent where he can be ok, till God comes to take him home to be FREE of the memories of this H....L

September 18, 2011 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jazzzzzzzz

Correction: I meant to say
    "till God puts him to rest until the day of his return to wake us all for our final home here on earth"

September 18, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. pilihP

@Scottish Mama...thank you for your kind words. But I've faced my pain, and over the course of years of drug-free therapy, have dealt with it. No longer am i confused...no longer do I feel the need for revenge. My parents didn't do anything about this nor did fellow churchgoers who knew. So I learned how to be a father to my own stunted emotional self. And now I have a real father, Jesus. And I have a real grandfather, Jesus' father the one true God. That's a lot better than becoming a child-molestor myself. For the men who abused me were abused when they were boys...they were just to proud to get help. 🙂

September 18, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. s kel

Wow pilihP , im speechless, God keep blessing you.

September 18, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. s kel

Hey Scottish Mana.

September 18, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. pilihP

@Jazzy...thanks for sticking-up for me. And I do believe in the hope of resurrection for the dead. But I believe millions of people living now will never taste death for themselves. God will protects his obedient children when he sends Jesus to put the disobedient ones out of their misery. Jesus won't be casting anyone to a place where they are burned alive forever. He will be putting the stubbornly disobedient children OUT of their misery, not adding to it. Besides, it's God's enemies who are extortionists, not God himself.

September 18, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jazzzzzzzz

Your welcome Philip
    But how could the truth be hidden, Your more of a man than most and those people who can REALLY see, see that in you.
    Gn my friend
    Hi s kel and Mama, Peace !!!!

September 18, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |