Bottle of whisky sells for $200,000
The Dalmore 62 whisky is displayed in Singapore's Changi Airport.
September 20th, 2011

Bottle of whisky sells for $200,000

It may be the most expensive drink ever.

A Chinese businessman has put down a deposit of $79,400 ($100,000 Singapore) on a bottle of Scotch whisky that goes for $200,000 ($250,000 Singapore). The 62-year-old bottle of Dalmore single malt is one of only 12 produced, according to a report on ChannelNewsAsia.com.

The $200,000 bottle price amounts to about $12,000 per serving, the report said.

The bottle of whisky is still on display at a duty-free shop in Singapore's Changi Airport. The businessman put down the deposit with a bank transfer, an airport spokesman told ChannelNewsAsia.

The price breaks the retail record set by another bottle of the same brand three months ago, according to the Moodie Report. That bottle of Dalmore 64 sold in London for $188,000.

Vijay Mallya , chairman of Whyte & Mackay and United Spirits, which owns the Dalmore brand, told the Moodie Report that whisky is a good investment.

“The record breaking Dalmore 62 is an absolute bargain in my mind. The owner of this fabulous bottle now owns one of the rarest and most exclusive whiskies in the world. It’s a fantastic investment, rising in value by £100,000 ($157,000)  in 10 years. How much will it be worth in another 10 years?" Mallya is quoted as saying.

The Dalmore 62 was first offered for sale in 2002 at $39,000, according to the Moodie report.

Post by:
Filed under: Scotland • Singapore
  1. Tom

Look up "Tulip Mania" on Wiki to find out how much this bottle will be worth in another 10 years.

September 20, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • mcool123

Tom you love drinking, don't you?

September 20, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • ChicagoJames

Wow, you've seen WS2. Nice job.

September 20, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom

@ChicagoJames No I have seen Botany of Desire.

September 20, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Corrupter

There is a big difference in the economics of this vintage of The Dalmore and Tulip bubs during the mania. This year of The Dalmore only produced a finite number of bottle... one of which has been demised by the purchaser (they drank this bottle). Also, the tulip bulbs were not rare and could be simply put into the ground and multiplied.

September 20, 2011 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  2. Parker

This guy loves a good glass of scotchy scotch scotch, here it goes down, down into my belly.. mmm mmm mmm..

September 20, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • mcool123

you must love to drink

September 20, 2011 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mister Greep

In the immortal words of P.T. Barnum, "There's a sucker born every minute"

September 20, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jay

I'd take a nice one off bottle of Patron over some 12 made, no name alcohol anytime. Wait, I do that!

September 20, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Meat Puppet

Your statement speaks volumes as to your lack of knowledge regarding the "spirits" world
      Patron is what is shipped to the unwashed masses outside of Mexico – decent but nothing special – even to those that know tequila there are noble tequilas and Patron is not one of them – it is all hype and packaging
      Patron can be cranked out and on the market within 3 years – and maybe some aging
      while the price of the single malt is outrageous – but there were only 12 of them ever made
      I host bourbon, single malt and tequila tastings – and we no longer feature any Patron

September 20, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • mcool123

sweet! you must love to drink

September 20, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  5. Proctor

Now he can sit back and thank Americans for making him rich enough to buy this bottle of whisky. He'll probably pour it all over white women at some upscale resort. And we can thank him for selling us cheap manufactured goods and spending our money wisely. I love Chinese business men, they embody the capitalistic ideaology infused to into their society through the western drive for limitless profits. They are the contemporary WASPS, but much better than the traditonal wasps that founded western society because they literally have no conscious or regard for others, the environment, animals, religion, etc.

September 20, 2011 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • AceRyder

And there's someone poorer than you who should feel that your owning a multi hundred dollar computer and TV and stereo and car and on and on isn't fair either. Why should you get to drive and rent DVDs while some kids don't have enough to eat? You are very wasteful.

September 20, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Proctor

AceRyder: I'm sorry but your reading comprehension abilites lack severely; your response has no relevance to my post.

September 20, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. mcool123

Jay, Do you love drinking?

September 20, 2011 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. mcool123

why hasn't anybody replied to my post yet?

September 20, 2011 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
    • AceRyder

You like to repeat yourself, don't you? There, now you have a reply.

September 20, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Conan the Librarian

That is because you are an idiot – it is like asking an art collector if he likes to paint?
      There is a huge difference between "drinking" and "savoring" a beverage
      if you want to drink – buy some cheap vodka

September 20, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. bigboxes

Thank goodness it's duty-free. Otherwise this could become an expensive habit.

September 20, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • mcool123

i agree

September 20, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. s kel

Hey iman extreamly wealthy person. Help me please im afraid to touch my $210,000,000.00 in savings and other assets. I am now a victim of CLASS WARFARE. That damn obama and his socialist peaons want to raise my taxes by % 8. Thats outrageous, I will only have $400,000 a year to just feed my family of three in food cost alone, how am I going to survive on that??? I did bid on this wiskey but was afraid to bid past $160,000.00 due to the threat of obama taxing me higher,its just horriable. Did not my contibution and gifts last year of millions of dollars to Speaker Bohner, And bribes to Eric Cantor help??? Did not my millions to help formulate this wonderful Tea Party movement to allow the unereducated masses of ignorant peaons to vent their racial hate of this man in office while helping us wealthy mantain power work? My God all I wanted was two more Large vacation homes thats why I fired those overpaid socialist unamerican american union workers I had and move my company to India where at last I can affoard to have $18 perhr Exectivies. I just wanted more money. Money is fun. Well people ill get off here now,so please help support me, please.

September 20, 2011 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • AceRyder

I think I see your problem – it's not rich people, it's your illiteracy.

September 20, 2011 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. mcool123

AceRyder sorry fro repeating myself

September 20, 2011 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. mcool123

AceRyder what do you mean?

September 20, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jimmy

this Scotch is most likely "damaged" by exposure to execessive amounts of light in the display case it is in.
    the outragous cost of such a whisky, is just a testament of the pure stupidity of Humans with money they do not know what to do with ... that money could have done much good in many other ways ... from thoughts of the album by Pink Floyd "Money".

September 20, 2011 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • mcool123

lol!!! cool

September 20, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Conan the Librarian

Air does more damage in most cases and it needs to be direct sunshine – but your point is well taken
      chances are the cork has been compromised and the seal on the bottle maybe questionable

September 20, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  13. CoffeeClue

I think the Chinese guy bought it so he can copy it and sell cheap in USA. Not quite the same on the inside, but the bottle will look very similar.

September 20, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • mcool123

that's funny

September 20, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  14. barney barham

I have a 4/5 quart of 80 proof canadian Masterpiece bottled in 1963 and never been opened. How much might it be worth?

September 20, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Conan the Librarian

check out the whiskeys exchanges – there are some good ones in San Francisco
      maybe go to the Malt Advocate and see if they can point you in the right direction

September 20, 2011 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tano

s kel, "Tea Party movement to allow the unereducated masses of ignorant peaons" How dumb are you? This text program comes with a spell check.

September 20, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |