September 22nd, 2011

Burqa ban opponent fined by French court

A woman fighting France's ban on Islamic face coverings was fined 120 euros ($162) Thursday for wearing a burqa, the first fine handed down by a French court over the controversial law.

Hind Ahmas sought out the punishment so she could take her fight to a higher court, she told CNN. A second woman, Najet Ait Ali, was fined 80 euros ($108) in the same court appearance.

"I am happy to be fined, since I can now take this to the European Court of Human Rights," Ahmas said.

FULL POST

Filed under: Religion
  1. Anomic Office Drone

Religion is bad for you.

September 22, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Eyes to see, ears to hear

When Islam comes in, civilization goes out–that is the lesson of history. Muslims are peaceful only when they are in the minority. Recently a crowd of Muslims actually stood in the street and chanted, "Freedom, go to Hell!"

Islam rewards violent psychotics and mentally deficient people by sending them out to "achieve holy martyrdom."

Islam is mob rule at its worst.

September 22, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@Eyes to see:

Wow. Where was that?
    That's....horrible.

I really don't know how I feel about it...I see both sides, so I guess I am either wishy-washy, or just don't know enough to come to an informed conclusion.

September 22, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Babble

Burquas should be banned in all western countries. Go ahead and take it to the world court and while your are there get the requirement for wearing them in Islamic countries lifted as well. Why do western countries let Muslims immigrate? We don't owe immigration to anyone and certainly not those with the most anti western values. This is what you will get and it will only spread.

September 22, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

I definitely agree.

September 23, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Andreas Moser

I hope she will take it through the French courts first, because otherwise the European Court for Human Rights will dismiss her case for not having exhausted the French legal process.

September 29, 2011 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |