On the Radar: Nurses' strike, Obama speech, Taiwan arms
Health care workers walk a picket line outside a Kaiser Permanente facility in Los Angeles on Wednesday.
September 22nd, 2011

On the Radar: Nurses' strike, Obama speech, Taiwan arms

Three things you need to know today.

Nurses strike: Almost 23,000 nurses at hospitals in northern and central California won't report to work on Thursday as they stage a one-day strike to protest concessions demanded by hospitals that the nurses say will hurt their role as patient advocates and cut their health and pension benefits.

The strike by members of the California Nurses Association/National Nurses United targets hospitals operated by Sutter Health and Kaiser Permanente as well as Children's Hospital in Oakland.

Among their grievances, the  nurses say job concessions sought by Sutter Health would require them to report to work when ill, endangering patient health, according to a statement on the union's website.

At Kaiser, nurses are striking in sympathy with co-workers who face cuts in their health coverage and retirement plans, the nurses' union says.

Complaints at Children's Hospital include cuts to health care plans that would make it too expensive for nurses to bring their own kids to Children's for treatment, according to the union statement.

See a list of affected facilities.

Obama jobs speech: President Barack Obama head to Cincinnati on Thursday to pitch his $447 billion jobs bill – a combination of infrastructure spending, tax cuts and aid to state and local governments.

He'll speak with the Brent Spence Bridge as a backdrop. The span across the Ohio River carries one of the country's major trucking routes, but it is in need of $2.4 billion in repairs, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The bridge links the constituencies of the top two Republicans in Congress - House Speaker John Boehner's district is on the Ohio side while Kentucky is home of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, and winning Ohio's 18 electoral votes in 2012 could be pivotal to Obama's re-election.

Taiwan arms: China warned the United States Thursday that a multi-billion dollar arms sales to Taiwan will create "severe obstacles" between Beijing and Washington, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

"The wrongdoing by the U.S. side will inevitably undermine bilateral relations as well as exchanges and cooperation in military and security areas," Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Zhijun said, according to Xinhua. Zhang summoned U.S. Ambassador Gary Locke to lodge a protest.

The $5.3 billion arms package includes upgrades to Taiwan's F-16 fighter fleet, a five-year extension of F-16 pilot training at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona and spare parts for the upkeep of three different planes used by the Taiwanese, according to State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland. The deal is part of the U.S. Foreign Military Sales program.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Barack Obama • California • China • John Boehner • Kentucky • Ohio • On the Radar • Taiwan
  1. chrissy

are made up with mostly rich ppl or are funded by the rich so u gotta figure where their interests lie. and my ip when i was l4 was only l48 given the factor of age i believe its diminished some proving im not a genius nor stupid! now we need 2 show em

September 22, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Scottish Mama

Jesus was a poor man. The bible says he gave not took for the poor.

September 22, 2011 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

that none of us are stupid, we hired em and we can fire em same dang way doncha think? im sick of how my tax dollars are wasted – $l6 for a muffin??? my goodness i dont spend that much on muffins in 2 months, not even the stud variety oops lol

September 22, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. s kel

hey Moses, if Obama did such a bad job why dont you lead? MOSES, MOSES LEAD YOUR PEOPLE , lead us AWAY from the Tea Party army set out to destroy us.

September 22, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

and fernace as i told u b4 when u say something that needs to be read over and over even the cnn moderator panel lets it go thru twice. and @ bond, james you have made some pretty significant points urself! high 5 to you! you aint from mich are you?

September 22, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

and i meant to say my iq earlier not ip really surprised someone didnt jump on that already lol

September 22, 2011 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

Chrissy I always just know what people are trying to say usually)and know when I make a mistake they forgive the error.

September 22, 2011 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

and as always scottish mama u are right on! luv reading your blogs btw even tho i dont always comment i read these blogs every day. i lost my dad last week and he was buried mon which woulda been his bd and my pastor told me just talk to him as if he were

September 22, 2011 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Chrissy my condolences on your fathers passing. My father passed on last Sept. 26th, 2010.

September 22, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

still here so i could tell him all the things i didnt get 2 say when he was alive. one of the things i said was even tho he wasnt here physically he would always be in my heart & maybe that would tone down my smartazz tude-he answered back now its dbl'd

September 22, 2011 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

@Chrissy-I always told my dad where I stood and he told me. My sisters were always hurt by what he said. I usually give it as good as I get it. We had that going for our relationship. He was quite blunt and hurt a few feelings. I knew what he meant and would stand up to him. My sisters would cry. He left a note I read (mostly because no one would read it) and it told how proud he was of all of us as people.(something in life he could not say). My whole family and everyone there was in tears. We are all people I figure stumbling around in our own realities and never really try to get why or how others are truely feeling. I have always watched people in actions they do to others and have always had the gift to read others motives. I find it facinating. Again my condolences to you.

September 22, 2011 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

and my dad was the biggest smartazz i ever knew so guess i may be in for a bumpy ride & unfortunately so may many of u! apologizing in advance 2 my friends lmao who else can say they are being possessed by their father? oops lmao that had to come from him

September 22, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

So was mine, I figured it was war and the time he was brought up in.

September 22, 2011 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. s kel

hey Scottish Mama, Chrissy im sorry to hear about your dad.

September 22, 2011 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

sorry for your loss scottish mama. im just thankful my dad is no longer suffering, brain cancer is extremely painful but he was a good hardworking man and i know he will be heading to a better place when the day of reckoning finally comes.

September 22, 2011 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Sorry if he suffered and at the end Chrissy I think they know way more than we do. Because they no longer care about the things we obsess on.
      My father went quickly with his bad heart. It was a shock. I think you are never prepared.
      s kel thank you for your kind words.

September 22, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

well ur a lucky woman i would say scottish mama i didnt have that kinda relationship with my dad mostly im sure cuz i was a rebal and never even heard the words i luv u from my dad til exactly 368 days ago. and im 54 thats a terribly long time 2 wait.

September 22, 2011 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

ty s kel and i cannot believe i just did the tmi thing. especially the age thing lmao

September 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

U what about me, I have my life shown, thanks Chrissy.

September 22, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Scottish Mama

It's a guy thing, he never said it, but in his last letter. It was written in 1992. And P.S. to my mom thanking her.lol. He was gruffy and hard, with not being able to show the soft side, I would make him admit it with his eyes and he would laugh and change the subject. It is the art of dance with people, eyes are the mirrror to their souls.
    Eagles; You can't hid your lying eyes.

September 22, 2011 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |