On the Radar: Nurses' strike, Obama speech, Taiwan arms
Health care workers walk a picket line outside a Kaiser Permanente facility in Los Angeles on Wednesday.
September 22nd, 2011

On the Radar: Nurses' strike, Obama speech, Taiwan arms

Three things you need to know today.

Nurses strike: Almost 23,000 nurses at hospitals in northern and central California won't report to work on Thursday as they stage a one-day strike to protest concessions demanded by hospitals that the nurses say will hurt their role as patient advocates and cut their health and pension benefits.

The strike by members of the California Nurses Association/National Nurses United targets hospitals operated by Sutter Health and Kaiser Permanente as well as Children's Hospital in Oakland.

Among their grievances, the  nurses say job concessions sought by Sutter Health would require them to report to work when ill, endangering patient health, according to a statement on the union's website.

At Kaiser, nurses are striking in sympathy with co-workers who face cuts in their health coverage and retirement plans, the nurses' union says.

Complaints at Children's Hospital include cuts to health care plans that would make it too expensive for nurses to bring their own kids to Children's for treatment, according to the union statement.

See a list of affected facilities.

Obama jobs speech: President Barack Obama head to Cincinnati on Thursday to pitch his $447 billion jobs bill – a combination of infrastructure spending, tax cuts and aid to state and local governments.

He'll speak with the Brent Spence Bridge as a backdrop. The span across the Ohio River carries one of the country's major trucking routes, but it is in need of $2.4 billion in repairs, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The bridge links the constituencies of the top two Republicans in Congress - House Speaker John Boehner's district is on the Ohio side while Kentucky is home of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, and winning Ohio's 18 electoral votes in 2012 could be pivotal to Obama's re-election.

Taiwan arms: China warned the United States Thursday that a multi-billion dollar arms sales to Taiwan will create "severe obstacles" between Beijing and Washington, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

"The wrongdoing by the U.S. side will inevitably undermine bilateral relations as well as exchanges and cooperation in military and security areas," Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Zhijun said, according to Xinhua. Zhang summoned U.S. Ambassador Gary Locke to lodge a protest.

The $5.3 billion arms package includes upgrades to Taiwan's F-16 fighter fleet, a five-year extension of F-16 pilot training at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona and spare parts for the upkeep of three different planes used by the Taiwanese, according to State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland. The deal is part of the U.S. Foreign Military Sales program.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Barack Obama • California • China • John Boehner • Kentucky • Ohio • On the Radar • Taiwan
  1. chrissy

ok so how bout those tigers eh? go detroit! lmfao

September 22, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Scottish Mama

Hey what about those Cards. We were 51/2 back for the wild card and now we are 11/2 back it is exciting.
    Rams came back but lost. Bummer.

September 22, 2011 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

maybe our dads were related scottish mama?? they sound like twins! 🙂 and my father never knew who his dad was nor his name even! my grandmother was a very very cold woman may god 4give her and im trying my best too also

September 22, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Hi, chrissy, I hope you are doing better...I hope you entire family is.
    Lost my dad in '92, it was devastating to my Momala, but she's a trooper!
    As you are.
    Much love from banasyland.
    And bake her a tater for me, mmkay?
    (((Hug)))

September 22, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

...And DA BEARS are just lost...

September 22, 2011 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@chrissy:
    Forgive you grandmother; if you can't, forget her.
    She isn't relevant to the person you are today; that's due to your beloved father and your beloved Mom.
    Carry *those* in your heart.

September 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

yea and the lions arent on their usual losing streak! well not yet anyway lol

September 22, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

actually to be most honest and i generally always try to be....the person i am today is in most part due to my beloved children. they were the ones that brought out the good in me and god blessed me when he gave me my son who is severely mentally impaired

September 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. s kel

ummm just fixed a crab omlet, wow it was good

September 22, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Slap your bad congressman day(I mean tater), sounds like a winner to me.lol

September 22, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

and good morning banasy! thought alot about ur bad potato story especially when i heard yesterday that the gov was paying $l6 a piece for muffins. sure wanted to slap those dayum things lol

September 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

ok and now we know s kel is a chef!! do you make house calls and i do not mean to the white house dude! lmao

September 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

I saw that story on the news yesterday and nearly flipped!
    You would think that since the government wants *us* to tighten our belts and be more fiscally responsible, they would at least serve Little Debbie™ mini-muffins or something...
    Buncha hypocrites.
    How much was the coffee? $12. a cup, or something like that?
    Did Juan Valdez SWIM the coffee here on that donkey's back?
    Sheesh!

September 22, 2011 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

I had a crab once. Then I had my morning coffee and she went away.

September 22, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Scottish Mama

Where the heck do you find a $12. muffin? Or a $12 cup of coffee? For those prices I wil fly there and make some profit with folgers and Ottis muffins.

September 22, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

i once heard if they all put a potato on their heads on halloween they could go as "dick-tators" lmfao pretty apt if you think about it dont yall agree? ok now im gettin loopy even 4 me. time 4 my pain meds. will return in a bit

September 22, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |