September 28th, 2011

Ice cream cone or Ku Klux Klan member?

A Florida shop had to scrap its ice cream cone mascot because passers-by thought it looked like a man dressed in a Ku Klux Klan outfit.

"We were just trying to get people to come in," store employee Jasmine Gonzalez told CNN affiliate WTSP. "We thought it was something fun for people, but eventually people took it the wrong way."

The Ice Cream Family Corner and Sandwiches shop opened a few months ago in Ocala. The owners hired a man to stand outside the shop dressed in a vanilla  ice cream cone costume to attract business.

At first store owners told WTSP they had no idea the outfit was upsetting passers-by,  but then they noticed a drop in business, and began to wonder what was impacting their sales.

Eventually, Gonzalez said they were tipped off that people were avoiding the shop, because they thought the peaked cap was not an ice cream cone costume, but a KKK robe. The mascot was immediately pulled off the street.

Some customers told WTSP they could understand the confusion, while others laughed at the ordeal.

"They (KKK members) don't color themselves (with sprinkles) like that," Wayne Austin chuckled to WTSP as he looked at the costume.

Post by:
Filed under: Florida • U.S.
  1. Wow

Free publicity, never a bad thing.

September 29, 2011 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. Patrick

The owner of the store needs to make a flavor called "Chocolate Chip On Your Shoulder."

September 29, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Roger Noe

How about a cone called "White Racism Vanilla Special". To a racist, one scoop is worth two chocolate scoops.

September 29, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Clint Eastwood

I can't get over just how far some of these punks are willing to go just to be politically correct!!! This is getting ridiculous, but then again, Dirty Harry(1971) was one of the most politically incorrect films ever made. Enough with all this political correctness already!

September 29, 2011 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Larla

I coudn't believe my ears when CNN's panel this morning actually agreed that this looked remotely like a KKK outfit. I don't know why I ever watch CNN, I guess to see how much UNDER reporting they do on everything from the economy, the president, congress. I've tried to discount that they are only reporting what the liberals want you to hear, but just can't do it. They leave out everything that shows how bad the economy is doing and what a pitiful job the president has done. They need to go more for what Hollywood is doing rather than real reporting, because they do a poor, poor job.

September 29, 2011 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mannix

cone in the eye of beholder..people makes the world go 'round..hah truth/john

September 29, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DJ

This is a crap story! I'm black I'm not offended and this this is ridiculous. Anyone, even Stevie Wonder can see the guy is dressed in a suit that has a Waffle Cone bottom and the White portion is the ice cream. With sprinkles even! Since when did the KKK don rainbow sprinkles? This is a NON-story that shouldn't have made it beyond the editor's desk. If it's an obvious snub then yeah maybe a word should be said. People who would complain about an honest marketing ploy like this need to get a life.

September 29, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Frank

People of the United States of America,
    The level of Dumb-ASS in the American public never ceases to amaze me.If the mascot Ice cream cone was waring a white cone with eyeholes and had a white robe with a RED CROSS in a RED CIRCLE on it then I would really wonder about the Ice cream shop.The owner should have had it reversed.Anyway,nothing surprises me.

September 29, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ronald Reagan

What are people smoking? glue?
    It's a Icecream cone costume standing out infront of a icecream STORE?
    Do these people see all white people as klan members even if their not wearing anyone even remotly resembling the Klan bedsheets?
    How is this news? people need to wake up and together we have it in our power to begin the world over again!

September 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Harold

I still don't understand why they make everything concerning black people 110 times bigger than it actually is.. These days a white guy can be denied a job and it's because he wasn't qualified but if a black person Is denied then rasicm was involved and a suit is followed. Every black person I know is just sick of all these dumb stuff. Why do politics need to stereo type people. At the end we are all the same .. just from diff cultures..

September 29, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Susan

Duh, it's FLORIDA. Of course they saw KKK instead of the obvious ice cream cone!

September 29, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. brad

Anyone who thought this was a klan member is a jerk, this country is too P C and soon we will all have to dress the same,talk the same march the same, humans make me sick. I'd put two Icecream cone guys out on the corner everyday until the people shut up !

September 29, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mslearning

Thanks for that laugh! Friggin hilarious!

September 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Just WOW!

Has it really come to this? This is why racism will NEVER die, stupid people b!tching about stupid sh!t like this! It doesn't even look like a KKK outfit!

September 30, 2011 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  14. Leigh

It's pretty obvious to me it's not a KKK outfit – you can actually see the guy's face, oh and the sprinkles. This is so ridiculous. As long as there are stories like this, racism will live on.

September 30, 2011 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  15. KAT

There's not much more that I could say but...People like that are STUPID. How are they able to even walk,being that stupid. People like that are a walking brain stem without the brain.... please.....of course ANYTHING to scream racist would be my other call.. Unbelievable. I AM SO SICK OF PEOPLE LIKE THIS. It's an ICE CREAM CONE!!!!

September 30, 2011 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
    • George Patton

I feel the same way you do, KAT. On the other hand, the politicians in Washington are quite glad that the people are so ignorant since ignorance is their ticket to winning elections!!!

September 30, 2011 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |