Man, 26, charged in model airplane plot to bomb Pentagon
Rezwan Ferdaus was charged in a plot to bomb the Pentagon and Capitol using this remote-controlled model airplane.
September 28th, 2011

Man, 26, charged in model airplane plot to bomb Pentagon

A 26-year-old Massachusetts man with a physics degree was arrested and charged Wednesday with plotting an attack on the Pentagon and the U.S. Capitol with a remote-controlled model aircraft, authorities said.

Rezwan Ferdaus, a U.S. citizen from Ashland, Massachusetts, planned to use model aircraft filled with C-4 plastic explosives, authorities said.

As a result of an undercover FBI investigation, Ferdaus, who has a physics degree from Northeastern University in Boston, was charged with attempting to provide material support and resources to al Qaeda for attacks on U.S. soldiers overseas, authorities said.

His federal public defender couldn't be reached immediately for comment.

A law enforcement official said Ferdaus posed no immediate danger to the public because undercover operatives kept in close contact with him.

"There is no information to indicate he was connected to a foreign terrorist organization. It appears he was radicalized watching videos on the Internet. He was given the opportunity to back down, but he never wavered" from his intention to carry out the attacks, the source said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Crime
  1. RedHogg

Why do they not call him what he is, I am sure he did this in the name of his calling so we should know his calling. This sort of playing down who he is or what he is, is very misleading and improper. We have a right to know what is being done to us in the name of what... are we now to say men did nine-eleven, is this where we are headed with our heads in the sand, is this what history tell us, that men did Perl Harbor and men did things to the Jews in Germany. Wow we are becoming a Nation of chickens and chrildren unable to deal with the realities of life.

So if you will not say it I will, a Muslim American Citizen was attempting to harm America, thats is what the headline should read for us all to know including the Muslims, how else will we learn from this event. What drove this MAN to this was it something he read, like the book of Islam what then? Was he unique of is this a trend, and if CNN intends to protect us from our own minds by hiding the truth then why even tell us this news story it just makes you all look weak to say the least, is this what we have become?

September 28, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. justathought

What kind of oprotunity was he given to back down? What is to stop terroist from copying ths idea. I doesn't take Phiysist to fly a model plane. I saw a model plane once that could carry a gallon of fule, point: if a model plane could carry a gollon of fule, how much C-4 could it carry?

September 28, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Wicket

Welcome to the U.S.! You take advantage of our culture, gain citizenship, enjoy our freedoms, attend our schools, and spit in our faces. (wish you or your parents had stayed to enjoy the dark ages-type ignorance you seem to love)

September 28, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • silly

Culture? Americans have no culture, nor do they care about it. The only thing Americans care about is being the biggest and the best. And that is proving to be your downfall. You are no longer the super power that you once were. Every one around the world just laughs at you. The butt of every joke. It's not so bad......at least you don't live in America.

September 28, 2011 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • TexMik

I'd rather be the butt of every joke than live under the tyrannies of the many Islamic nations.
      Laugh at my life in the U.S. all you want, but every day I see more and more foreigners moving into the U.S. to enjoy this lifestyle that you say so many people laugh at.
      Go ahead and laugh. I wake up with great security knowing that it is far more unlikely that my government officials would break into my house, take me at gun point and hold me for the legal 3 months that you 'enjoy' in your country.
      I have choice. I can decide who I want to become, what I choose to study, where I want to go. Doorways that are open to me are locked to you, because the leaders you 'enjoy' like your great man in Syria, are dictators who value power over their own people more than any other single thing.
      Laugh at me. Call me names. Point out the the dumb actions my own U.S. government has done.
      All that pales in the name of U.S. Freedom to its people and the avalanche of opportunity I have to become a better person in this country every minute of every hour of every day.

September 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Silly (Silly) Success breeds jealousy, fear and hatred in others. Which just happen to be the key ingredients of Islam.

September 28, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yeoman Johnson

Did you really say that America is the butt of all jokes? Interesting. I just spent a few weeks in Europe, and news from America dominates French, German, and English speaking channels pan-Europe. Everything we do is watched with great anticipation. Your radio stations play endless American music – I can turn on the radio and hear Rihanna, Eminem, Lady Gaga, even John Denver! I turn on the TV and see re-runs of the A-team translated in German. I watch Le Monde and even though I don't speak a word of French, I sure recognize President Obama when I see stories on him. I can go to Burger King or McDonalds and see locals jamming the place. Why? Because it's the only place in Europe that business people can get lunch in less than 2 hours. 80% of Europeans will not only know our President, but they will know probably 2-3 additional candidates from the Republican party. Because they need to. Because it directly affects their life. Most Americans won't ever know who Merkel is or Sarkozy, or Brown, because it is largely irrelevant, with the exception of if you let the PIIGS bring down the EU. I can go to Switzerland to try and buy a Tag Heuer, and then find out that it costs less to buy it in the US, 4000 miles away from where it was made, because we have the lowest tax exposure in the developed world, and we have the availability of the best goods from around the world at the cheapest prices because of how we conduct business. And finally, to drive my point home, you are posting your comments on a US headquartered news company's english speaking website. I think that American culture has so permeated your life that you don't even recognize the difference anymore.

I am an educated, well-traveled, proud American. I love Europe, truly. I like the food, culture differences, working with different people, the landmarks. But don't bring that baseless stuff on here.

September 29, 2011 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. R/C lover

please dont judge the R/C community based on the actions of one idiot. either way you wouldnt be able to load up a model plane with much as it requires lots of fuel. im glad one more lunatic is behind bars.

September 28, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

One? How many times has this happened.

September 29, 2011 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  5. leeintulsa

Did you all read this? It was a sting. I wager the fbi put the idea in his head. I wonder how many years it took and how much money the informant – who likely is a criminal – was paid?

How else does 'he had chances to back down' make sense? "here's the model, here's the c-4 (snicker), now are you sure you want to do it?"

yet another entrapment to make the war on terror look successful.

They don't catch the real guys, just the americans they set up. What happened to the yet unknown guys from 9/11/11? Missed em by *that* much..

September 28, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

I don't get it.
    If he was going to take down the pentagon, why was he charged with "attempting to provide material support and resources to al Qaeda for attacks on U.S. soldiers overseas?"
    Something stinks here.

@silly:
    Then please, never attempt to immigrate here.
    We'll laugh last.
    I promise.

September 28, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

EXACTLY! While "there is no evidence" he's connected with al qaeda, he's charged with helping them.

I read an article recently, with names, places, etc., and this story sounds like it was pulled right from the mother jones expose..

September 28, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bimbo the Birthday Clown

What is with the Playboy bunny?

September 28, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

@TexMik

*Applause*

Well done!

September 28, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. s kel

Shoot him.

September 28, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. raven

Texmik: Your words moved me .Its people like you that make people like me even MORE proud to be an American. And Im awfully proud of it.

September 28, 2011 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. raven

And I keep re-reading this article because it confuses me. And I wonder just how hard they tried to talk to his lawyer . They also seem to reeaally want it to be known he has a physics degree. Like hes a really SMART terrorist? Also, Im confused about the charges: One for the Capitol and MORE for the overseas thing??

September 28, 2011 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jj

but tax the hell outta him! Yay i love success

September 29, 2011 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. Robert Black

The Muslim Gentleman stated that he had no choice to move forward with is plans even though men , women and children would be injured or killed. Qur'an (9:29) ,Qur'an (9:5) ,Qur'an (9:11) -Qur'an (2:193), a summary of the holy writing is as follows:Muslims are commanded to fight unbelievers until they are either dead, converted to Islam, or in a permanent state of subjugation under Muslim domination. Allowing people of other faiths to live and worship independently of Islamic rule is not an option. the Religion of Peace web site.

September 29, 2011 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  14. Robert Black

The truth can not be hid. Even though major news organization refuse to cover the deaths of the Mexicans with Holder and Obama adult toys-the world knows. The truth is known over the solyndra scandal. One can not hide the truth, One can hid what the man admitted.

September 29, 2011 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. ALLEN

STAGED LIES AND ENTRAPMENT. THE USA WENT TO HELL ON 9/11.

I HATE AMERICA'S GOVERNMENT SO MUCH NOW. EFF YOU MEDIA AND EFF YOU CONGRESS AND EFF YOU RELIGION AND WHAT IT'S DONE TO PEOPLE.

September 29, 2011 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |