On the Radar: Baseball's wild-card races, Obama roundtable, Loughner hearing
Red Sox relief pitcher Jonathan Papelbon and catcher Ryan Lavarnway celebrate getting the last out against the Baltimore Orioles on Tuesday.
September 28th, 2011

On the Radar: Baseball's wild-card races, Obama roundtable, Loughner hearing

Three things you need to know today.

Wild card races: Major League Baseball goes into the final day of the 2011 regular season with the wild-card playoff spots up for grabs.

In the American League, the Tampa Bay Rays and Boston Red Sox each won their games Tuesday night to remain tied at 90 wins, 71 losses, with one game to go in the 162-game regular season. The Red Sox, who beat the Baltimore Orioles 8-7 on Tuesday, face the Orioles again tonight in Baltimore. The Rays, who beat the New York Yankees 5-3 on Tuesday, host the Yankees in St. Petersburg, Florida.

In the National League, the Atlanta Braves fell to the Philadelphia Phillies 7-1 on Tuesday while the St. Louis Cardinals soared past the Houston Astros 13-6. The Braves and Cardinals are tied at 89 wins, 72 losses and face the same opponents Wednesday night. The Braves are at home against the Phillies and the Cardinals are in Houston.

SI.com's Joe Lemire looks at Tuesday's results and how the final day of the regular season shapes up.

Obama roundtable: President Barack Obama will answer questions about issues in the Hispanic community during an online roundtable Wednesday morning.

The event will be moderated by Jose Siade, Yahoo's editor-in-chief for U.S. Hispanic and Latin America. Obama will respond to questions submitted by readers of Yahoo, MSN Latino, and AOL Latino/Huffington Post Latino Voice on issues that affect the Latino community.

The president is expected to address the economy, education, health care and immigration.

The event called "Open for Questions With President Obama" or "El Presidente Obama Te Responde" will be streamed live on the White House website.

Giffords shooting suspect: Jared Loughner, charged in the Arizona shooting rampage that killed six people and wounded congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, faces a competency hearing Wednesday.

Loughner is scheduled to be at the hearing in Arizona to decide whether he should remain committed in Missouri or if he is competent to stand trial.

Loughner's hearing starts Wednesday afternoon in Tucson.

He is charged in the shooting rampage January 8 at a shopping center parking lot in Tucson that left six people dead, including a child and a federal judge. Thirteen others were wounded, including Giffords, a Democrat from Arizona.

The suspect could receive the death penalty if convicted.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Barack Obama • Baseball • Courts • Crime • Justice • On the Radar • Sports
  1. mormon

This is going to be big ! As a Mormon I think things are getting better for everyone. or sure hope so.

September 28, 2011 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
    • IHopper

aren't you supposed to AVOID drugs?

September 28, 2011 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

Dont matter about the playoffs anyways cause theres not a team that can beat the detroit tigers

September 28, 2011 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

Ha Ha, that's funny. The Yankees will sweep the floor with them.

September 28, 2011 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Give me a break. The Phillies and Yankees would destroy them. And, as a Red Sox fan, I'd like to say my team could too, but I'll be honest and admit they've been playing like wet dog sh!t recently.

September 28, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Beantown!!!

Let's say this, the Red Sox can more than take care of them and so can other teams. Dont get me wrond, the Red Sox have played some of the most horrific baseball I have ever seem, so I think only a miracle can have us go into the playoffs and not get our butts whooped in the first round...but as any Red Sox fan, hope is the last thing I will lose and I will rooting for them tonight.
      Gung Hoe –> Get a clue. In baseball anything can happen!
      GO SOX BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 28, 2011 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

My Ozzy Guillen is leaving the White Sox...I'm verclempt.
    Talk amongst yourselves.

September 28, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Pete

It's gonna be very interesting to see Miami with Ozzie and the new stadium.

September 28, 2011 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. YankeeFan

Go Rays!

September 28, 2011 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Jimmy

It's weird rooting against the Yankees for these three games. Anything to keep the Red Sux out of the playoffs

September 28, 2011 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Beantown!!!

This is too funny. Never mind trying to win home field advantage or actually play for the integrity of the game, Yankees would do anything to keep us out of the playoffs. Afterall, they, as well as their fans know that if anyone can take the win out of their grasp is US. It is ok to be worried. You should be.
      GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 28, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. manda81305

All I know....is at least for the last three days, Boston fans have not only WANTED New York to win, but they NEED New York to win. How is that taste settling in your mouths Boston? Tasting sweet here in New York just thinking about it! 🙂

September 28, 2011 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Jess

Tastes just as sweet for us as it did for you when when we swept you guys in AL Championship Series with you leading 3 games to 0 then.. shhhh.. she's gonna say it... LOSING the best of 7. Greatest baseball comeback in HISTORY. 🙂 Either way, we'd appreciate the help in this series.

September 28, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Beantown!!!

Dont flatter yourself and please dont be ridiculous. Not once have I rooted for the Yankees nor would I ever. If we dont make it to the playoffs then we didnt deserve to be there, plain and simple. Unlike you guys, we can accept defeat and play with integrity...not something your team knows much of. Instead, you guys rather not play as you should and claim home field advantage. You guys are playing midiocre baseball in the hopes that you dont have to face us. Oh so sad. LOL big time. SOX baby...win or lose!!!!!!!!!!!

September 28, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. Iman Obama bin Biden

I want Obama to make his pics so i can bet the house against him.
    he can revive the US economy by giving out sport picks and every american betting against his choice.

September 28, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Miami will have a blast with Ozzie; we sure did!
    His post-game press conferences are always sooooo much fun!
    I'm going to miss him a lot....as much as much as I missed Tony LaRussa...
    Oh, when Harry Carey and Jimmy Piersall were still announcing at Comisky...(tear falling)
    Them were the days!

September 28, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  8. bdgfn

A true Yankees fan would want the Red Sox to make the playoffs so they could beat them there. Rooting against them so they don't make it is the loser's way. You only pull for a specific team to not make the playoffs when you're worried you can't beat them. Are you worried, Yankees? You shouldn't be.

September 28, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Beantown!!!

I could not have said it better myself. At the end of the day, a win is only worth celebrating when you go up against the best. Not saying the Rays arent. If they move on tonight because we lose, then they are at this moment and time the team that deserves to move on.

September 28, 2011 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. manda81305

Not worried at all! I just think it's funny how they despise us all year but when push comes to shove, they need us to win!

September 28, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Beantown!!!

We dont need you guys for anything. Whats your record against the Rays anyways? Yea, thats what I thought. You have not won...which is very questionable but you already know what I think about that. If we win and they lose, it would never be because you guys did us any favors. At the end of the day, you guys would throw the game just so you dont have to play against us. So pathetic. If they win and we dont, then the best team moves on, as it should be!
      That is the big difference between the Sox and the Yanks. Pray we dont make it throug. You would want to relive the '04 season now would you? They dont call it best comeback in history for nothing. Haha, I love how we make history at your guys expenses....remind me again what happened this year when we face you guys at home?

September 28, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jj

Obombas attempt to stay in office is futile. bye bye lard ass!

September 28, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  11. staci

Cards will come back in a blaze of glory...mark my word...

September 28, 2011 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. fernace

I remember Bum Philips....oops wrong sport! I guess I'm not in the sports loop! BTW, has the Prez suddenly gained alot of weight? Isn't "lard-ass" usually reserved for heavyset folk?? Skinny-ass would be more appropriate, I think

September 28, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |