September 29th, 2011

Shark severely injures man near Cape Town

A British man was severely injured in an attack by a great white shark while swimming this week near Cape Town, South Africa.

Michael Cohen, 43, lost his right leg and suffered injuries to his left foot in Wednesday's incident near Fish Hoek Beach. He was in critical condition and under heavy sedation in an intensive care unit on Thursday.

According to city officials, the beach was closed when Cohen decided to go for a swim. Warning flags had been raised to alert beach goers that it was not safe to enter the water due to shark sightings.  Officials said it was not clear why Cohen ignored the warnings.

One eyewitness told city officials he watched the shark lunge toward Cohen and "shake him." He said the shark then let him go and swam away.

Two people told officials they rushed to the water to assist Cohen to shore.

Twelve shark attacks have been reported in Cape Town since 1998, according to city officials. In half of these cases, the city said, beach goers were warned that sharks had been spotted in the water.

1. MadCityBabe

...he must have just finished a Snickers!

September 30, 2011 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mastodonrocks

Hah! He wont be swimming after being warned about sharks anymore. I hate to say he got what he deserved but, well what else can you say?

September 30, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • VegasRage

Pretty much! I'll bet he didn't listen to mom much either as a kid.

September 30, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Shark

He tasted like chicken.

September 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. guest

I can't believe all the heartless and hateful comments. Where is human compassion. This person is in a lot of pain and his life has changed dramatically. Yes he did something he shouldn't have done. I am guessing that everyone who has commented here and called him and idiot, said he got what he deserved, and all kinds of horrible things about him, has never done anything wrong in there life? I pray God will be with him and comfort him and his loved ones. I also pray you all will find peace and love in yourself someday.

September 30, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeremy

Human compassion is hard to drum up when someone shows flagrant amounts of human stupidity.

September 30, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • neal kelley

hateful?... he was an idiot... it was not like he was saving some one life.. or happen to find himself in that situation. He invited it by going out into shark infested waters... ignoring all the warning signs... He decided to become fish food.. so he found what he is looking for... he deserves to be made a fool of... He endangered the lives of the people trying to save his dumb behind. He deserves all the jokes and harsh statements people can muster.

September 30, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • wmskadder

Why are you praying to God, You being a God fearing person do realize, according to your teachings, God created all, including the shark. Where was God in this picture?? To Christians, God is just a convenience.

September 30, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • geoz

With you... right up to the "pray god" part.

September 30, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • WDS

I am sorry that he got injured but IT'S HIS OWN DAMN FAULT.

September 30, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Shark

He was yelling about God when I bit him, that's for sure.

September 30, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • wenhamhome

Come on, seriously, he was in a foreign country in a different ecosystem and he didn't even bother to ask or check out the water situation when the SHARK ALERT flags were flying? I can only surmise he thought he was immortal, or he was blind drunk. It's like going to another country where they drive on the other side of the road and expecting that nothing will happen to you if you drive on your country's side of the road. Of course we have compassion for an injured person, but when that person is so stupid as to attract their own injury, it's hard to feel much sympathy except for the taxpayer who will, no doubt, be footing the bill for Mr. Cohen's ongoing recovery and rehabilitation.

October 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alo

Good!

September 30, 2011 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. tn

Stupidity and white male go hand in hand. If anything I feel bad for the sharks, they'll probably kill hundreds because of this idiot

September 30, 2011 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • neal kelley

Dude.. i am not white... but your racist comments are not needed.. you should be fish food also... idiot..

September 30, 2011 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Malia

This story has nothing to do with race, pay attention. You're coming off as very ignorant right now.

September 30, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Pattern is full!!!

Ignorant idiot, prolly still asking for your forty acres and a mule, for free of course.

September 30, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • neal kelley

Dude I was with you until you made the 40 acres and a mule comment.... you sound just as ignorant as him...

September 30, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Shark

I've still got a piece of him stuck in my teeth. I think I'm gonna sue.

September 30, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bible Clown

Sharks don't have hands.

September 30, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kiki

I'm SUE!

September 30, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

This shark did just what my terrier does with a rat. This fool is lucky to have even survived the experience. What on earth would make him ignore the signs?

September 30, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • wenhamhome

Because he was an idiot or drunk, or both. And the British taxpayer will foot the bill for his rehabilitation. Lovely happy ending, right?

October 1, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. joepa

According to the article, yes the man did something very stupid but I would not wish this on him or say he deserves it. It's not like he was trying to hurt somebody else or anything. As far as being stupid goes, no matter how smart people think they are everyone does dumb things. EVERYONE! This guy simply had his mistake broadcast to the entire world. I wish this poor chum a speedy recovery confident in the knowledge that he learned from his mistake.

September 30, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • neal kelley

But his irresponsiblity but the other peoples lives in harms way... they people that went into to the waters to save his dumb a*@! He deserves all the harsh comments and jokes..

September 30, 2011 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Carl

You wish the poor "chum" a speedy recovery? Are you another "heartless jokester"?

September 30, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • neal kelley

But his irresponsiblity put the other peoples lives in harms way...he endangered the people that went into to the water to save his dumb a*@!!! He deserves all the harsh comments and jokes..

September 30, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Krista

"Chum". An unfortunate use of a word there :}
      He was stupid... and those who went in to save him in water full of blood And sharks were put in danger by his actions. Yeah, I have some sympathy but not a lot

September 30, 2011 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Andy

Yes and his pure, unabashed STUPIDITY is going to cost MILLIONS of Rands and Pounds, for his own petty little ego. And who is going to pay for this? Not you and your "compassion." The people of South Africa and the people of the UK will be paying for this worthless, waste of oxygen, for the rest of his miserable life. Hopefully, when he awakens from his self induced coma, he will do the right thing, and put a bullet in his head. Darwin was right.

September 30, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Shark

He's my chum now, alright.

September 30, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lean6

Did the shark have a frickin' laser beam attached to his head? You know, I had one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! – Austin Powers

September 30, 2011 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Shark

Dude, I'm not into body modifications. Except for my tattoo that says DHARMA – all the sharks were getting those a few years ago.

September 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. doogie

Why is this news? This is not news.

September 30, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  10. Cato

Well, you can't fix stupid. It's kind of hard to work up some sympathy for the guy. That's one hell of a price to pay for that lesson.

September 30, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. CalDude612

Stupid is what stupid does.

But I hope he recovers......

September 30, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Shark

I'll see him again someday.

September 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Rafe

A Guy Does Something Stupid In Spite of Being Warned? That's your headline? What is this, The Onion?

September 30, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. lindsey

my bestfriend makes $77 an hóur on the cómputer. She has been out of job for 9 months but last month her check was $7,487 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read about it here CàshHard.cóm

September 30, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Shark

Let's go swimming, lindsey.

September 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. guest

September 30, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. Clousou

"I thought you said said your shark does not bite."
    "Its not my shark."