September 29th, 2011

Shark severely injures man near Cape Town

A British man was severely injured in an attack by a great white shark while swimming this week near Cape Town, South Africa.

Michael Cohen, 43, lost his right leg and suffered injuries to his left foot in Wednesday's incident near Fish Hoek Beach. He was in critical condition and under heavy sedation in an intensive care unit on Thursday.

According to city officials, the beach was closed when Cohen decided to go for a swim. Warning flags had been raised to alert beach goers that it was not safe to enter the water due to shark sightings.  Officials said it was not clear why Cohen ignored the warnings.

One eyewitness told city officials he watched the shark lunge toward Cohen and "shake him." He said the shark then let him go and swam away.

Two people told officials they rushed to the water to assist Cohen to shore.

Twelve shark attacks have been reported in Cape Town since 1998, according to city officials. In half of these cases, the city said, beach goers were warned that sharks had been spotted in the water.

1. Satan

I'm sure that dude would have been dead if the shark had had a gun and a thumb.

September 29, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. What a bunch of losers

Wow! This guy is a definite candidate for the Darwin Awards! Talk about natural selection…I say throw him back but apparently even the shark thought he was too stupid to eat! Hey wait; he could be a great Tea Party leader! Put him in charge of America’s finances…

September 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

You are such an dumbazz...

September 29, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shark

He tasted funny. Was he a clown?

September 30, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bompow

First thing that came to my mind : Michael ate snickers... Michael was delicious... That snickers commercial is just too funny. 😛 .. But yea. I do not feel sorry for the guy. Why would you ignore the warnings and put yourself in that kind of situation?

September 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Great White

Actually, I think alcohol might have been a contributing factor. I tasted like a coconut rum flavor.

September 30, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Michael Black

Because Mr. Cohen failed to heed to the warning here's me rooting for the shark. "GO SHARK! Better luck next time."

September 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shark

Thank you.

September 30, 2011 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Josh Brown

I've been to this beach in '98 and it is just spectacular. I suspect the beuty of the emerald water and the white sands just got the better of him......Guess this is one case where he won't let an impulse overide the white flags that can not be missed.

September 29, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

Sir: You are too kind to the brain dead....

September 29, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mit

I would make a "hiking in Iran" joke, But DUDE HAS NO LEG

September 29, 2011 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Wrong...he has one leg left. Next year he could hop in the water and disobey shark warning signs again.

September 30, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. glo

I think that it is terrible the man ignored the warnings and almost lost his life. Some people think that nothing bad is going to happen to them. You see it every day but not this extreme.It sure seems he paid for his ignorance.

September 29, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bible Clown

If he was an American, the Tea Party would have their presidential candidate for sure. Or he could be Herman Cain's VP choice.

September 30, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rick D

This shouldn't count as a shark attack with the warnings up. Its similar to when Ron and Valerie Taylor were feeding sharks and got bitten, if you cause the attack, they shouldn't count as a shark attack. By the way, Great Whites bite their victums and then purposefully swim off to let the victum bleed to death so that the victum can't damage the shark while feeding.

September 29, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Great White

Actually, we don't mind fighting with our food it's exciting. We are not always in the mood for certain things. You see a human floating there in the water, and say hey I haven't had that for a while but then after a bite I realize that just isn't what I was in the mood for.

September 30, 2011 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Shark

This guy tasted like suntan lotion. Blech.

September 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Max in NY

Perfect example of who holds back the human race

September 29, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bruce

Can you say PUTZ??!! I thought all the jerks were in the States....

September 29, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. BB

Has anyone mentioned that this guy might have been trying to commit suicide by shark?

September 29, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bruce

Joe- That was unnecessary... but you're probably wearin' the green.

September 29, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. kev

Brits are arrogant.

September 29, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kev

and so are you.

September 29, 2011 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. stormchaser

looks like jaws is back

September 29, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shark

I had a small part in Jaws 3D.

September 30, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. leeintulsa

I want to thank this guy. He's one of a million that make me look smart with little or no work on my part..

September 29, 2011 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |