September 29th, 2011

Shark severely injures man near Cape Town

A British man was severely injured in an attack by a great white shark while swimming this week near Cape Town, South Africa.

Michael Cohen, 43, lost his right leg and suffered injuries to his left foot in Wednesday's incident near Fish Hoek Beach. He was in critical condition and under heavy sedation in an intensive care unit on Thursday.

According to city officials, the beach was closed when Cohen decided to go for a swim. Warning flags had been raised to alert beach goers that it was not safe to enter the water due to shark sightings.  Officials said it was not clear why Cohen ignored the warnings.

One eyewitness told city officials he watched the shark lunge toward Cohen and "shake him." He said the shark then let him go and swam away.

Two people told officials they rushed to the water to assist Cohen to shore.

Twelve shark attacks have been reported in Cape Town since 1998, according to city officials. In half of these cases, the city said, beach goers were warned that sharks had been spotted in the water.

1. Sean

Your in his house.

September 30, 2011 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. Tyokol

Typical "working class" British. He doesn't respect authority and this is the result. Poor stupid SOB.

September 30, 2011 at 2:28 am | Report abuse |
    • me again

Yeah... and Americans DO???

September 30, 2011 at 2:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Cadiz

@me again. I agree that no place has an exclusive on idiots.

September 30, 2011 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
    • yeltzin

no no. The chap knew that sharks respect humans and only attack people when they mistake them for seals. He identified himself but the shark wasn't perceptive. All the shark wanted was a leg snack anyway. It all taste like chicken to a shark.

September 30, 2011 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. ABQNM

I dont undrstand why people dont take notice when the flags are up warning them that sharks are in the area...
    I agree with Philbert..As I am from SA...warnings are there for a reason.

September 30, 2011 at 2:30 am | Report abuse |
    • mark boutilier

do you think it is possible that they are just stupid

September 30, 2011 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Cadiz

How dare that shark not obey the warnings!

September 30, 2011 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Shark

Hey, it isn't me being warned. He got between me and this cute little nurse shark right when I was making my move.

September 30, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Confessions of an Pool Shark

Meanwhile, accross America thousands of pool sharks daily beat the last 300 bucks out of their pidgeons with their bare knuckles. Cute shark though.

September 30, 2011 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
  6. Confessions of an Pool Shark

Care for some nine ball? A little golf on the snooker table? No? If you lose and can't pay, better a great white than an American Hustler. There are literally 10s of thousands of Americans who male their living hustling your pidgeon asses on the table. And one losy shark gets the best of you and it makes the front-page. No wonder 99.999% of you suck at nilliards. Heck. Checkers even.

September 30, 2011 at 3:27 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mike

Why was video included? A talking head... Sometimes text is just better. CNN especially sucks at this...

September 30, 2011 at 3:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. Allah

should have left him to die... stupid is as stupid does!

September 30, 2011 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. Confessions of an Pool Shark

For every American life taken by an ocean going shark, there are 10,000 taken by an fellow American. Keep that in mind as you paddle your way through one of our inner-cities. Snug that life preserver now.

September 30, 2011 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Shark

My cousin is a landshark. He lives in an alley in L.A.

September 30, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. carlos

I just want to pet the shark because it so cute. Dumba_s!

September 30, 2011 at 3:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Confessions of an A merikan

I can't see past this story to save my own azz.

September 30, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  12. raylibrandi

Shark: Top of the food chain, can't be bargained with.
    Man: Bottom of food chain. Tastes like chicken to most large, man-eating carnivores. Delusional in thinking that they are indestructible.

September 30, 2011 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Shark

He tasted like chicken at first, but there was this nasty coconut oil aftertaste. I'm feeling kind of sick.

September 30, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Andreas Moser

And I just wanted to move to Cape Town.

September 30, 2011 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  14. Asklepios

They should have hired Quint.

September 30, 2011 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. Asklepios

Are man-eating sharks a threat to women too ?

September 30, 2011 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Shark

That depends. What do you look like?

September 30, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |