Overheard on CNN.com: Obstruction is not healthy democracy
Said one commenter: "Democracy is the worst form of government until you compare it to all the others."
September 30th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Obstruction is not healthy democracy

Comments of the Day:

"Mr. Toobin, I'm sure there were some folks who thought it was just healthy discussion back in 1861, too."–Delta75

"Very well-written article. It was never the role of government to come up with solutions. It's not designed to do so. It's only role was to protect rights. It's trying to do way too much!"–harrytubman

Conflict is a feature of democracy, not a flaw

Stubbornness and lack of wit are not the cause of conflict between Democrats and Republicans, writes CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin. They disagree because they have "profound ideological differences" over whether government can be a "useful social engine to protect the environment, help the poor and build the economy." And this conflict, he writes, is part of democracy.

Some CNN.com readers disagreed that the present conflicts are a sign of healthy democracy. The rest argued over political ideology.

mooseman316 said, "What an insipid piece of claptrap. Conflict is a flaw; overcoming conflict is what our government is all about. We are not overcoming anything and that is the flaw in the system."

hippediva said, "Conflict? I think he means compromise, a word all the idealogues forgot long ago when they learned to bully their way to 'victory,' even if it means breaking the whole to satisfy the very few."

klur said, "I think that the debt ceiling debacle is a prime example of our government not working. Yes, controversy serves a purpose in a democratic government, but when there is complete obstruction of every piece of legislation proposed, the government is NOT WORKING."

1jstaffo said, "It's one thing to disagree yet compromise (many presidents and Congresses have done so); it's another to do nothing, which is what we currently have: nothing getting accomplished."

boogle said "At the end of the day, it is the duty of both parties to come up with a compromise that *most* but not necessarily all people can live with. Yes, debate is necessary but it is not the goal. There are too many conservative and liberal organizations influencing government when it's supposed to be 'for the people.'"

jboHDrider said, "Toobin is out there flapping. The reason that the govenment is broken is because the parties are pandering to special interests and not legislating to the will of the people."

maggiemom asked, "If this is just healthy debate, why are the GOP voting against ideas that are IN its own ideological framework, like tax cuts for businesses, simply because they are coming from the administration?"

reconman0321 said "Democracy is the worst form of government until you compare it to all the others...."

Bank of America to charge $5 monthly debit card fee

Most CNN.com readers were dismayed to learn that Bank of America would soon be charging customers $5 per month for debit-card purchases. Those with premium accounts, and those who don't use the card or use it only at ATMs, will not be charged. Many said they would move their accounts to credit unions, local banks, or their mattresses.

MysticRiver said, "One hundred years ago, a wise man kept his money secure in the bank. Today, a wise man keeps his money in cash, stuffed under his mattress."

CMHTed said, "Hopefully BOA customers speak with their money and leave for community banks. As for me, I turned back to cash last year and I'm loving it."

DaveHolmes said, "This is crazy. Should everyone start writing checks again? How many employees did banks let go by going automated? Bank cards and automation have saved banks billions of dollars! Yet the greedy banking industry wants more. It's not enough that they destroyed the American economy by writing bad loans. Banks should be paying us to use their services! Hopefully my credit union won't pull this.

ToTwoToo said, "Go find a CU where you're the owner and get to vote on your board of directors. Better yet... join a CU and run for the board of directors!"

clsanchez77 said, "My family banks with a local community bank. At our bank, the bank's customers are the stockholders. We do not report to Wall Street; the bank reports to us. The result: I have no fees. My checking accounts–all three of them–are free. My only requirement is direct deposit. We have an ATM on the main account, no fees. I can walk in and see a teller, no fees. I can write checks, no fees.

Monty Liss said, "This is even more sinister: B of A manages unemployment checks for EED. This means they are actually bilking unemployed Americans out of $5 every month!"

Kirk Kohnen said, "Don't get mad, get even. Go out and buy *1* share of their stock ("BAC"). This will set you back $20-$30. Then sit back while they have to send you their annual report, and their 1¢ dividend checks 4 times per year."

Some readers had their own names for BoA: ethandy said, "BoA constrictor."
jrh512 suggested, "Bank Opposed to Americans."

Post by:
Filed under: Overheard on CNN.com
  1. gung hoe

Alabama lee although they have a great race track and all, I live in michigan

October 1, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

@Ruffie:

Thunderdome was lame...

October 1, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT ( ELF SLAYER & TURKEY HUNTER )

thunder dome was alright.. but not nearly as good as the others..
      they where suppose to make a madmax4.. but i dont think i will ever happen..

October 1, 2011 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. leeintulsa

Agreed, banasy. They ruin good movies when they make the hero a babysitter. Happened with terminator, too.

October 1, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT ( ELF SLAYER & TURKEY HUNTER )

what about.. "adventures in babysitting" that was a good movie...

October 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. gung hoe

Good mourning my queen banasy .You are so right about the parties we need one party that being the party of the people.And lee the only reason that I could say bama is better than okie is you guys have my ex and please keep her

October 1, 2011 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. leeintulsa

You said alabama is better than oklahoma? Guess i missed that..

The three stooges are on now – ifc. Nothing can irritate me now.. ;D

October 1, 2011 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. gung hoe

Ya got to the job and my men sent me for coffee and donuts now bout 2 min to be back LUV U GUYS WELL MOST LATER

October 1, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jazzzzzzzz

@ Lee
    woo, woo, woo, woo.... LOL

October 1, 2011 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. You are a cancer

Just a bunch of lame farting noises again. When will you stunted slimes learn to find a real chat room?

October 1, 2011 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

@cancer: I used to be like you. Then, one day there was *nothing* to blog about, meaning nothing i gave a rat's azz about, except for some of the more personal interactions. It seems to happen alot, really..

Even the trolls i see as a necessary evil. What, freedom, and all..

October 1, 2011 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT ( ELF SLAYER & TURKEY HUNTER )

farts=funny sharts=even funnier

October 1, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. leeintulsa

I think it's the oldest show that still appeals to people. My 8 year old loves them. They played some laurel and hardy, i showed him.. Not nearly what i remembered. Like gilligan, just more stupid than funny anymore.

The stooges truly have timeless appeal.

October 1, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. saywhat

'Conflict' as a means to obstruct as the sole objective, has nothing to do with democratic values. Combine that with twisted ideologies & self serving agenda on the part of the 'obstructionists' and you have a perfect recipe for disaster.

Precisely what we ahve been witnessing for some time.

October 1, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. obstruct the 5th

No American "shall be denied life, liberty, or property, without due process of Law." Calling out a hit on American citizens based on "secret inteligence" is in direct violation of humanity itself. Yet 4% of humanity cheers for this illegal activity.(The USA accounts for 4% of the worlds pop. and consumes 30% of what the world produces turning it all into an obesity epidemic with fat-bassterds calling for more. More food, more oil, more diamonds, more violation of law.

October 1, 2011 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Good–fernace and gung hoe remember me. Merci beaucoup!
    After our own NYC earthquake and hurricane, two towers that service my Blackberry were out or iffy until two days ago, I had a tremendous amount of music to learn for this season, and I figured that many writers here were angry at me anyway because I wrote some elephant-like comments that were not very PC.
    YO, GUNG HOE, you and I have no hatchet at all! I've told you before that we are frequently in absolute agreement.
    I don't have as much time of as I did before–I've dropped some pupils because they weren't working–but I'll be around sometimes.
    I know the ones who are not pleased by some of my thinking. I love them anyway.

October 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. saywhat

@ JI-F

didn't see you around for sometime. In agreement or otherwise it was always good to read your comments. hope you are back soon.

@ obstruct the 5th

Don't forget our dearly beloved MIC ( military industrial complex). yes the same that great American Gen. Eisenhower warned us about back in the 60's and the current sorry lot we accept as our politicians. yes the very same who eat off of this land of ours but swear allegiance to other masters.

October 1, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

@JIF:
    Yay! you're back!

@Cancer:
    We've all commented of the topic.
    Then we talk about other things.
    Don't like it? Tough.
    We don't like the way you twist every subject into a topic *you* want to pontificate on.
    So, in essence, what I'm trying to say is, bite me, FGTG.
    Epic fail.

October 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. the 5th

@saywhat...would that be the same Eisenhower who owned several banana plantations? Remember? When a democratically elected leader made it illegal for foreigners to raype his country of natural resources, Eisenhower went in troops...not for America nor democracy, but for personal reasons. Eisenhower started this trend and was only pretending to be somehow warning US. Since the days of Eisenhower, the US military has been used to raype foreigners of their natural resources, taking orders from the very men who personally profit from said military activities. Our leaders are always pretending to be fixing the very problems they themselves started. Eisenhower is just one glaring example.

October 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT ( ELF SLAYER & TURKEY HUNTER )

think he ever made love to a banana peel? there ok but pumpkins are better...

October 1, 2011 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |