Overheard on CNN.com: Obstruction is not healthy democracy
Said one commenter: "Democracy is the worst form of government until you compare it to all the others."
September 30th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Obstruction is not healthy democracy

Comments of the Day:

"Mr. Toobin, I'm sure there were some folks who thought it was just healthy discussion back in 1861, too."–Delta75

"Very well-written article. It was never the role of government to come up with solutions. It's not designed to do so. It's only role was to protect rights. It's trying to do way too much!"–harrytubman

Conflict is a feature of democracy, not a flaw

Stubbornness and lack of wit are not the cause of conflict between Democrats and Republicans, writes CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin. They disagree because they have "profound ideological differences" over whether government can be a "useful social engine to protect the environment, help the poor and build the economy." And this conflict, he writes, is part of democracy.

Some CNN.com readers disagreed that the present conflicts are a sign of healthy democracy. The rest argued over political ideology.

mooseman316 said, "What an insipid piece of claptrap. Conflict is a flaw; overcoming conflict is what our government is all about. We are not overcoming anything and that is the flaw in the system."

hippediva said, "Conflict? I think he means compromise, a word all the idealogues forgot long ago when they learned to bully their way to 'victory,' even if it means breaking the whole to satisfy the very few."

klur said, "I think that the debt ceiling debacle is a prime example of our government not working. Yes, controversy serves a purpose in a democratic government, but when there is complete obstruction of every piece of legislation proposed, the government is NOT WORKING."

1jstaffo said, "It's one thing to disagree yet compromise (many presidents and Congresses have done so); it's another to do nothing, which is what we currently have: nothing getting accomplished."

boogle said "At the end of the day, it is the duty of both parties to come up with a compromise that *most* but not necessarily all people can live with. Yes, debate is necessary but it is not the goal. There are too many conservative and liberal organizations influencing government when it's supposed to be 'for the people.'"

jboHDrider said, "Toobin is out there flapping. The reason that the govenment is broken is because the parties are pandering to special interests and not legislating to the will of the people."

maggiemom asked, "If this is just healthy debate, why are the GOP voting against ideas that are IN its own ideological framework, like tax cuts for businesses, simply because they are coming from the administration?"

reconman0321 said "Democracy is the worst form of government until you compare it to all the others...."

Bank of America to charge $5 monthly debit card fee

Most CNN.com readers were dismayed to learn that Bank of America would soon be charging customers $5 per month for debit-card purchases. Those with premium accounts, and those who don't use the card or use it only at ATMs, will not be charged. Many said they would move their accounts to credit unions, local banks, or their mattresses.

MysticRiver said, "One hundred years ago, a wise man kept his money secure in the bank. Today, a wise man keeps his money in cash, stuffed under his mattress."

CMHTed said, "Hopefully BOA customers speak with their money and leave for community banks. As for me, I turned back to cash last year and I'm loving it."

DaveHolmes said, "This is crazy. Should everyone start writing checks again? How many employees did banks let go by going automated? Bank cards and automation have saved banks billions of dollars! Yet the greedy banking industry wants more. It's not enough that they destroyed the American economy by writing bad loans. Banks should be paying us to use their services! Hopefully my credit union won't pull this.

ToTwoToo said, "Go find a CU where you're the owner and get to vote on your board of directors. Better yet... join a CU and run for the board of directors!"

clsanchez77 said, "My family banks with a local community bank. At our bank, the bank's customers are the stockholders. We do not report to Wall Street; the bank reports to us. The result: I have no fees. My checking accounts–all three of them–are free. My only requirement is direct deposit. We have an ATM on the main account, no fees. I can walk in and see a teller, no fees. I can write checks, no fees.

Monty Liss said, "This is even more sinister: B of A manages unemployment checks for EED. This means they are actually bilking unemployed Americans out of $5 every month!"

Kirk Kohnen said, "Don't get mad, get even. Go out and buy *1* share of their stock ("BAC"). This will set you back $20-$30. Then sit back while they have to send you their annual report, and their 1¢ dividend checks 4 times per year."

Some readers had their own names for BoA: ethandy said, "BoA constrictor."
jrh512 suggested, "Bank Opposed to Americans."

Post by:
Filed under: Overheard on CNN.com
  1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy: hello! I'm baaaaack.
    @ saywhat: hello!

October 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jean Sartre, Milwaukee, WI

It is interesting to note that BofA received massive bail out money under TARP – even though they did pay it back. They also, in May of this year received a $410 Million dollar fine for overcharging checking account overdraft fees.

Why anyone would continue to bank with these folks is beyond me...

MOREOVER, who actually writes checks anymore?

October 1, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

I'm supposed to get my meager slice of that 410 mil in november. And i'm done with them. Before the end of the year.

Why did i go with them? I was new to town, and they were close by. Why have i stayed all this time? Changing banks is a huge hassle, i'm sure you know. My billpay has been all set up for years – i'll have to get many to send me paper bills again, until i can get it set up again. A single dad likes no hassle outside the house..

October 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • El Flaco

All banks are the same. All oil companies are the same. All department stores are the same. All grocery stores are the same. They all have the same product sold at about the same price. They only compete in advertising and marketing campaigns. They all hire the same lobbyists to bribe our Congressman. The VP at T-Mobile today may be the VP at AT&T tomorrow.

October 4, 2011 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@JIF:
    And I couldn't be happier!
    I've missed you dearly.

October 1, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

I have been a member of a CU for years, and I enjoy no fees whatsoever.
    I am happy with them, and I wouldn't dream of moving...
    The banking industry acts like they're doing us a favor by letting them hold our money; um, it's the other way around...

October 1, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. fernace

The banking industry & the government both act like they're doing us a favor! They work for us & somewhere through the years that fact has been forgotten! I quit the BOA constrictor years ago, because they were overdrafting my overdraft fee over & over, which could go on into eternity, until I owed the bank everything I earned! I supposedly owed them $250 on a $2.50 overdraft & they were only willing to deduct $60! I was very upset & crying & the bankmgr told me to get out of her bank! So I did & took my account with me! Will never go back to the sssnake!! 😉

October 1, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

@fernace:
    Yet another horror story from BoA! I'm sorry that happened to you...
    We also have a regional bank around here that has consistently kept up high standards in customer service, and I have a savings account there...the people are sooooo nice, and everyone I know who has an account there has had fee waived if there's been an error, even if the error was on the customer's part!
    It's like a small-town bank; what happened to you would have been forgiven at this bank.
    Here's a shout-out to Centier Bank!

October 1, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I've banked at Chase since I moved to NYC. It has usually worked out very well.
    The discussions here have changed a little while I was away. I went to sleep early and missed the fish fry/slapping fight on another thread. That's probably a good thing.
    I'm up early. Only 6 gym days this week: have to fly today, play this afternoon.
    Salut.

October 2, 2011 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

@ banasy:
    (Now writing from back seat of car; hope this goes through.)
    I read you comment about Nancy Grace on some thread; you and I agree on that issue. Several years ago I had an argument with her on a live blog regarding the importance of evidence, and she told me that I should never address her again.
    Pas mal.

October 2, 2011 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

(At airport,)
    NG also took considerable exception to my choice of the nom de plume "Joey."

October 2, 2011 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. s kel

Joey according to Nancy Grace your a pain in her butt.

October 2, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

Nancy Grace is a pain in *my* ass.
    Probably why I don't watch that shrew.

October 2, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@JIF:
    She probably didn't like the fact that you consider evidence, when she plainly doesn't.
    Or that you're obviously more intelligent....

October 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. WAHOOPPYPDINDLDOOBERG

WHITES AREN’T WELCOME IN AMERICA ANY LONGER !!! WE DON’T NEED YOU ANYMORE !!! OUT OF AMERICA WITH WHITES !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xGfYOAydjw OR http://www.youtube.com/user/BostjanAvsec

Make sure to play one from beginning as youtube is censoring proofs of genocide against whites by either playing video in the middle or blocking one entirely from play

Just in case or if not functioning, please use either http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xleq3o OR http://www.vidup.de/v/9dNJo/
    VISIT ALL NEW “OBAMA = STALIN = BUSH or USA = SOVIET UNION”
    http://avsecbostjan.blogspot.com/ or http://avsecbostjan.wordpress.com/

IS IT INDEPENDENCE THAT WE CELEBRATE OR DEPENDENCE (what are your credit card bills or alimony saying about it) !!? HOW IS YOUR DIABETES AND LOST MARRIAGES !!? FORECLOSURES AND JOB SEARCH !!? THAT IS THE QUESTION TO BE OR NOT TO BE !!! IS IT LAND OF THE FREE OR STATE OF TERROR AGAINST OWN WHITE POPULATION !!? IT IS TIME TO LET THEM KNOW WHAT COLOR ARE THE STRIPES ON OUR STAR SPANGLED BANNER !!! TIME TO DETERMINE WHOSE INDEPENDENCE/AMERICA, WE CELEBRATE TODAY(who wants to erase us and denies us the right to exist) !!! IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW WHOM WE ADDRESS WITH "PRESIDENT" (STOP HUMILIATING YOURSELF) !!!

911(TWIN TOWERS) = NORWAY BOMBING OR STATE SPONSORED TERRORISM !!

ARIZONA = UTOYA = THERE WAS NO SHOOTING EITHER IN NORWAY OR ARIZONA, BUT “AFTERLIFE” FLASH MOB INSTEAD !! Tear gas and theater were used on faces of multiculturalism maniacs while calling YOU a terrorists !! Guilt or blame and shame weapon against us and our families in our own countries during bogus “economic crises” while importing here non white third world foreigners !!!
    MULTYCULTURALISM = TERRORISM !! OBAMA = OSAMA !!!
    http://stateofterror.blogspot.com/ http://stateofterror.wordpress.com/

October 2, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kweg Yung

With half of America aging (ready for retirement) and the other half being non-white, it was fairly easy for the Republican party to decide to sell out... In their eyes we're all just expensive liabilities. Communist China is the new place of opportunity! With few regulations and government underlings cheaply bought, it's the new Mecca for Corporate America to exploit ... But not to worry, ye lowly Americans: After the GOP finishes destroying us (U.S.), the rich will be back in droves buying up what's left for pennies on the dollar. When that time comes the GOP will be there again, arms outstretched again, fists filled with cash again...

October 6, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |