October 1st, 2011

Ultimate Fighting comes to Washington

Politics has been called a blood sport, so it's not too much of a stretch for Washington to be hosting its first Ultimate Fighting Championship on Saturday.

Still, mixed martial arts was once a sport that Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, tried to get banned because of its violent nature.

Today, with safer guidelines in place, the sport is thriving and has a huge following in the U.S. and a growing audience globally.

Saturday's event  is being held at Verizon Center with 10 bouts on the card.

UFC president Dana White tells CNN that Washington is ripe for the sport.

"Anytime we go into a new market, whether it's here in the United States or somewhere else around the world, it's always exciting... I expect D.C. to be very good for us," said White. "This is the most exciting live sporting event you will see in all of sports."

"I don't care what color you are, what country you come from, or what language you speak," White said, "We're all human beings. Fighting is in our DNA. We get it and we like it. This thing works everywhere."

Post by:
Filed under: District of Columbia • Sports
  1. s kel

Never been to Tulsa. Oaklahoma City is where I have family, its ok but its still mall / wallmart minded. Love Baltimore, NYC, Chitown, Boston, even Richmond Va is trying to build its downtown core. LA is a joke.

October 2, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

I do like boston. And dc for the historical monumental significance. Fanuel hall is cool. And every time ya turn around, you're at the boston massacre or the old north church, or paul revere's house.. But so many people, it's like your invisible.. Which can be a mixed blessing, i suppose..

October 2, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. RUFFNUTT

WE HAD A WALMART..but to much crime... they shut down all the stores..

October 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Downtown Chicago is like that, s kel.

October 2, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

You must have wired the parks in Tulsa, huh, Lee?

October 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • leeintulsa

I maintain the lighting, change bulbs, ballasts, capacitors.. If they added some, it'd be me. Or, like, when cars hit em or something, replace em.

Among many unrelated things 😉

October 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

i always wondered who fixed the stuff i broke...
      when i would deliver pizza to hotels, i'd take the controll panel off ( if lifts off ) and swap the wires to the buttons... like switch 1 & 3 , 2& 4 ... so like you never knew whick floor you'd land on...

October 2, 2011 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. RUFFNUTT

i need to have lee, re-wire my house... the kids stuck a tape messure in the wall socket and shorted out the wires/socket..

October 2, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Wtg, Ruffie Juniors!
    They're all right, aren't they?

@leeintulsa:
    *What* unrelated things??

October 2, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

Ruffie!
    *Facepalm*™
    If you can do that, why can't you fix your wall socket?

October 2, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

I can fix it.. just dont have the time to.. i been busy cleaning the garage as the wife fills the other side up..
      going turkey hunting tomarrow.. i hope to get one so i can drink beer and watch the chiefs lose and eat turkey...

October 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. s kel

Lol Ruffnut I used to go to your city too. I loved that section with allthe fountions, and the cool jazzy section called Westport. AND loved your bbq, Gates and Arther Bryants.

October 2, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

@s kel... you can't like both.. impossible.. it's either gates or authorbryants..
      me i love gates.. author bryants has a wierd "dirt like" tatse..
      what's fun is to goto gates on brookland and get a meat plate and some ribs.. then goto 3rd street and sit outside the river market and listen to live music..

October 2, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. s kel

Ummm DC old articutect is very beautiful and the crowd or closeness of the row homes here and most east coast are what makes it great, not cutting on Tulsa but I have been to other cities and this one I am is great. Dont let what u see on the movies,tv,news fool u. This is a croweded exciting city.

October 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. leeintulsa

I bet there's someone closer... Lol travel would cost more than parts & labor lol

October 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • RUFFNUTT

you got one of those cintracter vans?
      me and my buddies had a friend that was a mantaniace man for sear ( he fix all sorts of appliances ) , an his van was full to the brim of new parts for various things..
      so we went to my back yard and picked up all the dog turds and put one turd in every box... he was so mad cause it stucnk up his van bad...

October 2, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

....I've got nothing to add....

October 2, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

How old were you, Ruffie, when you did that?

October 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. RUFFNUTT

everytime he would goto fix something and open a box...blam a turd...lol..
    this went on for years...

October 2, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RUFFNUTT

20 or so... we also use to like to hook a wire from the brake lights to the horn,, so when you'd hit your brakes the horn would honk..

October 2, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. s kel

RUFF it has to be GATES.

October 2, 2011 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |