October 3rd, 2011

Amanda Knox pleads for her freedom as murder appeal ends

Nearly four years after she was arrested on suspicion of having killed her roommate in this picturesque Italian university town, Amanda Knox got one last chance Monday to persuade a jury she didn't do it.

"People always ask who is Amanda Knox? I am the same person I was four years ago. But I have lost a friend. I have lost my faith in Italian police. I am paying with my life for something I have not done. Four years ago I didn't know what suffering was," Knox said, delivering her statement in Italian.

"I did not kill. I did not rape. I did not steal," she added. "I was not there."

Knox and co-defendant Raffaele Sollecito are fighting to be acquitted of the murder of Meredith Kercher. Prosecutors have called for the pair's sentences - of 26 and 25 years, respectively - to be increased to life.

The case is now in the hands of two judges and six jurors, who retired together within minutes of Knox's statement to consider their ruling.

Knox and Sollecito were convicted of the killing and related crimes in December 2009. Their appeal has focused largely on DNA evidence found on a knife and on a bra clasp belonging to the victim.

Knox's words capped a dramatic week of closing arguments by the host of lawyers battling over the outcome, from the lawyer for a man falsely accused of the crime, who called Knox "Lucifer-like, demonic, Satanic," to the Sollecito defense counsel Giulia Bongiorno, who insisted that like the buxom cartoon temptress Jessica Rabbit in the movie "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" Knox is not bad, just "drawn that way."

Knox told the court she always wanted justice for Kercher, her roommate at the university.

"I am innocent. Raffaele is innocent," she said.

At the conclusion of her statement, Knox put her hands on her face and wept.  Before Knox addressed the court, Sollecito asked the court to set Amanda and him free.

Sollecito described the original investigation, the trial and the jailing as "living in a nightmare."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Amanda Knox • Crime • Italy • U.S. • Washington state
  1. ummmm

I wonder what the make-up of the jury is? The older ones with life experience would give her a chance at freedom, even with the fact that they aren't sequestered.
    Also for the prosecution to request the sentences to be raised to LIFE is very telling, can we say DESPERATE

October 3, 2011 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ed Peterson

numerology for Amanda Knox (Monday October 3rd, 2011 trial conclusion and verdict):

October 3, 2011 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. s kel

tv movie in the making.

October 3, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Only if she's set free, s kel...

October 3, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. DIVA

Normally evry1 would be saying negative stuff like on the Troy Davis article but now every1 sure is quiet!! WOW COULD ITB BCUZ SHE IS WHITE??? I'M JUST SAYING!!

October 3, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
    • gay

OR could it be that youre black and looking for any reason to pull the race card. Typical.

October 3, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Hmmmmmm

It is typical!

October 3, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. ummmm

@ DIVA I think your right in part. first because she's white and also because the trial is in a Foriegn land.

October 3, 2011 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. ummmm

opps, didn't see gays comment
    when you look at the Troy Davis picture and the Amanda Knox picture, what feelings does that conjure up?
    don't answer here, cause your true answer is only going to be revealed to you, you know this to be true that your honesty here will never be posted because you could bring yourself to be that forthcoming with the truth of your own heart to be soooo exposed

October 3, 2011 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Hmmmmmm

What do YOU see? Fan the flames, why don't you; much more fun to play off black vs. white, isn't it? please DO answer honestly, because you think your altruistic bad self is better than that, right? Hypocrite!

October 3, 2011 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

How about this? I'm white and I think she's guilty as hell. No race card being thrown down here, but it *is* typical of people to say stupid stuff like this to try to validate a point; that they have nothing of value to say.
    When I look at those two picures side by side, I see two people who have been found guilty – one male, one female.
    That's what *I* see.

October 3, 2011 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. tony

Amazing ..The arrogance of someone being able to tell the guilt or innocence of someone else by looking at press 'clippings. Sign up for jury duty...Why don't ya!

October 3, 2011 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Hmmmmmm

Having served on juries before, and having followed both trials, I have come up with the same conclusions both juries did: they are both guilty. When I look at both pictures side by side, I see what banasy sees: two guilty people. Trying to make people feel bad for coming to the same conclusions is arrogance on YOUR part, tony. It's not about race, it's about justice for the people these two murdered. Period.

October 3, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  10. ummmm

My point EXACTLY, Tony

October 3, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. ummmm

The evidence the Knox case is shecky at best, Hmmmmmm
    The troy Davis case I did not follow, too busy with my own life dude.
    And the fat lady hasn't sung for the Knox case yet, fart face

October 3, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. Hmmmmm

How old are you, ummmmm? 12?

October 3, 2011 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

@ummmmm:
    I noticed that you stated that Conrad Murray is obviously guilty as sin; why are you so convinced that Amanda Knox is innocent?

October 3, 2011 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. -.-

"The evidence the Knox case is shecky at best, Hmmmmmm"

Shecky Green?

October 3, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sara12

I don't even understand this case... the only evidence against her is a bra clasp and her dna on a knife?? Well of course those things are going to be there – it was her roommate that got killed and she lived there too. Why has she not been extradited to the United States for her trial?

October 3, 2011 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diana

She hasn't been extradited because the crime occurred in Italy. The US doesn't prosecute Americans for foreign governments. If she had flown home to Seattle immediately following the crime and before her arrest, she would likely still be fighting extradition.

October 3, 2011 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |