Overheard on CNN.com: Banks aren't getting the message
Citi announced new banking fees for its midlevel clients Wednesday, which was not popular with CNN.com readers.
October 5th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: Banks aren't getting the message

Comment of the day:

“How ironic that this story sits next to a story about Occupy Wall Street. Someone did not get the memo.” - BillyRyan

Citi raises checking account fees

Citi announced Wednesday that they are slapping customers with another fee — this time on midlevel checking accounts — for members who do not maintain minimum balances of $15,000 on their combined accounts.

And for CNN.com readers, the announcement seemed like the straw that broke the camel's back: they were livid and encouraged Citi clients to withdraw their funds. Others shared their positive experience with credit unions and said people should follow in their footsteps.

RogerBlatto said, “How completely arrogant and greedy can these banks get. They likely know that 99 percent of people cannot afford to keep $15K in cash in their accounts. So charge them $20 while you let the rich get a free ride? Maybe these Wall Street protesters have a point after all.”

tstorm9200 said, “Credit unions are about to explode in growth!”

Mindurbiz said, “Welcome to the impact of government regulations. You clip previous revenue streams and they end up being distributed across the board.”

Richard Buchanan responded, “That's exactly what the banks want you to think and say: Blame the government not the rich CEO's and Wall Street tycoons…”

tstorm9200 also responded, “You couldn't be more wrong. It's Bush-led deregulation for the past decade that got us into this mess.”

Libslost said, “Everyone, transfer your money out of Citi! Put them out of business.”

Imintexas responded, “That is the KEY libslost. If everyone would get on the same page and support one another we could control a lot of what is happening here. If 3/4 of all Citi customers pulled and went to another bank who is not charging Citi would suffer and the other bank would not, and probably would not even consider fees, because they just got a huge number of new customers and they won't want to loose them.”

Pdough said, “For the life of me, I can't understand why people continue to keep their money (or what's left of it) at these banks. Have you not all heard of local credit unions? I pay a total of $10 per month service charge, have free checking and savings, have no restrictions or fees associated with the use of my debit card or online transactions and I have an overdraft/credit line that I can access at any time and I only pay 9 percent interest on any outstanding balance (no additional fees).”

Ethandy said, “This is obscene. Banks screw up, taxpayers bail them out, banks increase fees on them ‘to recover the lost revenue from swipe fee regulation.’ How incredibly arrogant and insulting. People are hurting and these big banks have no scruples whatsoever to make it even harder for them. They're making record profits even with the new regulations. I have to believe that they just don't want individual checking account customers anymore. That they are happy with just maintaining their commercial clients. It's time to bail from these banks, people. Let the free market prevail. You are free to leave.”

Guest said, “Funny how everyone thought I was crazy a few years ago for saving money the old fashion way and not trusting banks. Screw the banks! Screw those who continue to support them!”

Guest said, “Well, they will be either looking for another bail out or just go bankrupt, because everyone I know with a bank account there is leaving. Vote with your money people.”

Mike280 said, “Thank you USAA, for being a shining beacon of light in an otherwise dark world.”

5612jean said, “Like a lot of people I am fed up with everyone who has their hand in my pocket ripping me off. The rent just went up, they are no longer paying for the utilities that were formerly included in the high rent. I have a car payment. Got a .28 cent raise. Now the bank wants more of my money. They can impose this fee if they want to. I will take my little bank account straight to the credit union. Enough is enough. The rich keep getting richer. Greed it's the American way.”

In support of banks, wildman69 said, “Banks are a private business and no one is forced to use them. That fact is, many people who use banks have little to no savings to help the bank offset costs of account maintenance. Many 401k's and other retirement accounts have a stake in BofA's profits, so you can curse them, but your either making money from them, or costing them money."

Mmm…sour beer

Beer aficionado and blogger Nathan Berrong (who works at CNN’s satellite desk) shared his love of sour beers on CNN.com’s Eatocracy site—that’s right, sour beer. Apparently beer drinkers either love it or hate it and many readers shared their insights on the bitter adult beverage.

Teethscrape said, “Cascade Brewing out of Portland, Oregon has the best sour beers I have ever had!”

Char said, “Ommegang Zuur – it was my gateway sour ale. Love this style of beer!

2xltall said, “I recommend Bell's Oarsman!”

Plastiklov said, “Jolly Pumpkin is an excellent brewery out of Dexter, Michigan, specializing in sour beer!!!! Can't believe they were overlooked in this article!”

Sour Tooth said, “I absolutely love sour beers, and have since I was first introduced to craft beer. Duchesse, Petrus, and Rodenbach are my favorite mainstays, and Consecration is my all time favorite American sour (thus far). While I love La Folie, I have also really enjoyed New Belgium's Eric's Ale and Le Terroir. Cantillon obviously brews the best in the world, and I'm still searching for my holy grail, the Blabaer. Great article Nathan!”

Beer snob said, “I have yet to taste an American sour that can stand up to a Belgium. There are some good ones out there...but the wild yeast strands cannot be duplicated.”

Jay said, “I was in Belgium back in May. There is a small town called Beersel about 15km outside Brussels, a cute little Flemish town. They have a castle and are home to Drie Fontinein Brewery and a restaurant by the same name. Their gueze, kriek, and lambic are out of this world. The best kept secret? Their Beersel Lager, the best lager I have ever had!”

Traveller said, “There are LOTS of beers that have a sourness to them outside of the obvious Belgian varieties. You should probably also go to Finland and experience sahti. I know it's not as hip as the lambics, but sould very much be on every beer lovers to-do list.”

prs2cube said, “Back in the 70s-80s, there used to be Berliner Weiss at the Brickskeller in DC. It was sourer than a lambic – so sour that it was traditionally mixed with raspberry syrup. Don't know if it's still available here. Apparently no American craft brewery has attempted the style. Oh well...”

njw responded, “It is a shame that the Brick is no more. Great place to go for some one of a kind beers.”

Greg Malor said, “Big fan of beer. Not a fan of sour beers. I've tried them. I guess my tastebuds are not "complex" enough to enjoy them.”

Clutch fan said, “I just had a Clutch Dark Sour Ale and it is the best beer I've had in years. Too bad I'm 12 hours away from the nearest bottle...”

jimmy jam flam man said, “You yahoos ain't got jack on Pabst Blue Ribbon!”

Do you feel your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video

1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Scottish Mama, I've posted a lot re the protests. Haven't seen them.
    The issues are tremendously complex, and my best comment was too long to get on the board intact.

October 5, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Joey were you under another name? I did not see it under your Jif name. If you have another don't tell me I probably saw it.

October 5, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. gung hoe

Wow SCOTTISH MOMMA lady I have missed jawing with you so much sitting here watchin hannity and warning chrissey of phillip congrats to your cards our Tiges got smoked last night oh well game 5 tomorrow in n y yippie

October 5, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottish Mama

Your lions seem to be better than the Loser Rams. How hard it is to sit at every home game and choke. Our offensive line sucks, bradford has hardly enough time to get the ball off.

October 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Hey, chrissy...

There is nothing that man can say that you haven't ascertained for yourself.
    The drunken ravings of a disturbed individual isn't pretty, but can, thankfully be ignored.
    Saying one is trolled may have been a good excuse a while back, before the true colors started shining through, and I'm sure you are aware that alcohol tends to lessen inhibitions...so what they *think* of saying when they're sober is what they *do* say when they're drunk.
    This behavior fools no-one; but it does come as a shock to those who thought we knew better.
    I'm sorry you have to deal with that at home; you shouldn't have to deal with it here.
    It's not the horse's *mouth* that really represents this person; I'm thinking of another part of that horse is more apt.

October 5, 2011 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Scottish Mama

Hope she feels better soon. I have seen the chicago area and it seems to have been cold and rainy, I wonder if she has alergies? It has been beautiful here in MO. I have done alot of work outside and I am winterizing the homestead. Raking leaves, cutting branches, pulling up the garden, and that sort of boring stuff.

October 5, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

October 5, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

chrissy, don't look at me. I don't drink.
    Heck, I don't even eat carbs.

October 5, 2011 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

i just called her mama i do believe she will be here shortly and dont apoligize im gettin used to holdin my own with drunk pos and joey i dont think that was bravery on his part just macho bs and too much jack daniels! Right Phillip?

October 5, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. @chrissy

When the Apsotle Paul went on one of his missionary tours, he left young Timothy in charge. Several old-ladies began standing-up amd speaking idle gossip in the church. So Paul wrote Timothy letters explianing that Tmothy should STOP drinking water that had not been puresfied, and drink wine until Paul returned and forbid old ladies from ever speaking in the christian church ever again! Yet, even to this very day we have young men thinking drinking booze is a sin, amd that listening to some old barren woman widow is righteous. Even to this very day.

October 5, 2011 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. banasy©

Sovereign copyright.
    I like it.
    I'm here! I'm here!
    (Jumping up and down waving her hands frantically)

@JIF:
    Alcohol keeps some people chill, like me and my dirty martinis, but for others, it brings out an extremely ugly side.
    You missed a lot while your towers were down.

Hey, Mama, leeintulsa, and gung hoe. What's the haps?

October 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. @banasy

As usual, you have little nore to add than a drunk cheerleader wearing no panties. he he

October 5, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Scottish Mama

@JiF wish I had your will power with carbs. Been exercising to tone meself. When I used to come on and you said you were doing del or whatever in the morning, it used to get me up and at the machine.lol

October 5, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I've only posted under the full JIF handle above since I came back. (No cars.)
    I'm overworked and not around often.
    Tonight I should be asleep...missed the gym this morning.

October 5, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy©

@chrissy:
    Do you think that St. Paul meant that drinking and raving like a lunatic while writing his letters was the intended message to Timothy?
    I don't.
    And what do you suppose 'old barren woman widow' *means*?

@gung hoe:
    Your Lions are kicking *ass*!
    DA BEARS? Not so much! 🙁

October 5, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

lmao ty banasy and yea i do funny thing was just talkin to my daughter in new york and my grandaughter who is l0 told me tell that phillip guy TALK TO THE BOOTIE CUZ THE HANDS OFF DUTY! 🙂 too freakin funny, outta the mouths of babes huh? & she likes jif

October 5, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. banasy©

@old, bitter, shattered, broken glassman!

And as usual, you have absolutely nothing to add except your nasty negative misery. Drinking your cognac again?
    And stop fantasizing about me in a cheerleader's uniform.
    That's just creepy.

October 5, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

test

October 6, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazzzzzzzz

He was calling you a W-H-O-R-E
      He was not fantasizing about you at all

October 6, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Jazzzz, do not EVER speak of my wife that way again. You couldn't hold a candle to her on your best day. You are lucky she ever befreinded you, you certainly don't deserve it!

October 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |