ESPN severs relationship with singer Hank Williams Jr.
Hank Williams Jr., pictured on September 12, compared President Obama to Adolf Hitler in an interview this week on Fox News.
October 6th, 2011

ESPN severs relationship with singer Hank Williams Jr.

ESPN says it has severed its relationship with singer Hank Williams Jr. following controversy over his remarks comparing President Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler.

"We have decided to part ways with Hank Williams, Jr. We appreciate his contributions over the past years," a statement on ESPN's site said. "The success of Monday Night Football has always been about the games and that will continue."

Williams gave a very different statement: "After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision. By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE.  It's been a great run."

On Tuesday the singer had apologized Tuesday for his remarks which resulted in "Monday Night Football" pulling his popular musical introduction from this week's game.

"I have always been very passionate about politics and sports and this time it got the best or worst of me.

"The thought of the leaders of both parties jukin' [sic] and high fiven' [sic] on a golf course, while so many families are struggling to get by, simply made me boil over and make a dumb statement, and I am very sorry if it offended anyone. I would like to thank all my supporters. This was not written by some publicist," Williams wrote.

Williams made the comparison on Fox News this week when he was asked about Obama and House Speaker John Boehner, a Republican, playing on the same team in a June golf game.

Post by:
Filed under: Sports
  1. diane

it's about time that they got rid of him. I remember during the 2008 election, he made some inflammatory remarks about President Obama at a Palin rally. I thoughts the network should have gotten rid of him then. You can disagree with a person's views without comparing him to one the most hated men in history. I don't know why celebs on both sides feel the need to tell us their political views. Just do your jobs, and leave the political opinions to pundits.

October 6, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • cul8rv8

Maybe my English comprehension is bad, but I still have yet to see where he compared Obama to Hitler. He didn't say "Obama is like Hitler and Boehner is like Netanyahu, and they were playing golf." He compared pair to pair. Maybe he was saying that Obama is Netanyahu and Boehner is Hitler. Of course then, he would probably be pulled from the air for comparing Obama, whom Williams has been critical of since day one, to a Jew, so he must be an anti-semite.

October 6, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. RCB

Good Riddance!

October 6, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Lscatcat123

I guess some of you forgot that he called the president the enemy. So hitler was the u.s. enemy and thats the nut in a shell.

October 6, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. Bobby

He's uncomfortable to watch.

October 6, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. cecilia

good for you ESPN – I am all for free speech and I deplored what was done to the Dixie Chicks, but it was not just what he said, it was the deplorable way he presented himself on TV. I think you made a great decision – maybe he needs rehab

October 6, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. Wyopoke

Why waste time on this guy? If it wasn't for his "Daddy's name" he would just be another redneck living in a trailer living off welfare. Talent? I don't think so...

October 6, 2011 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. Heyo!!!

Where does Hank compare Obama to Hitler? Did he distinguish who was Hitler and who was Netanyahu? I didn't think so. They are just two individuals on the opposite end of the spectrum, just like hard lefties and hard righties.

October 6, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Angeh

Well, when asked if he was making that comparison, he said "Yea!!!" So, yea, he did it...

October 6, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. volksmaniac

This the same politically correct B.S. that Juan Williams had to endure at N.P.R. . ESPN is only concerned that they could lose some viewers . Well , they have now for sure . I will get my sports coverage elsewhere .

October 6, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Drew

Good Luck with that.

October 6, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. Itsmyfault

I don't recall this two faced idiot defending the Dixie Chicks and their first amendment rights. I guess it only applies to him when its someone other then him. A true american idiot.

October 6, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Spock500

Well said.

October 6, 2011 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. Church of Suicidal

I know how you feel, Hank. I told my boss to f' off and he fired me. What's going on in this country?

October 6, 2011 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Spock500

Well said. Not much more to add here.

October 6, 2011 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ben James

Good riddance to a racist drunk that couldn't find his but with both hands let alone figure out global politics.

October 6, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. Patriot0045

Now maybe ESPN can get someone manly to open their foot ball games. Someone like Elton John maybe, or George Michael, or maybe even Boy George.

October 6, 2011 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • yomamayo

now that was funny

October 6, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. sara

I will even take it a step further hank! I think obama is WORSE than hitler. at least however mentally insane he was, he had a high i.q. really he has don't nothing for our country except make it a combination of oakland and detroit. to steal someone else's thunder, he has made our beloved country into an abomination

October 6, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Geezer

Your ignorance is proof that right wingers have no brain.

October 6, 2011 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • David

Worse than Hitler? How did you do in your high school "World History" class?

October 6, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angeh

Wow, hey you. Go get educated, right away.

October 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  14. PeterD

ESPN sucks just like Brack Obama's Presidency. Amen !!!!!!!!!

October 6, 2011 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tocopan

This whole situation is so stupid. I don't understand why people have reacted like that for his comment. It was just a comparison trying to make a point of how bad that golf meeting looked. I wonder if he had said that the president and the speaker of the house were like oil and vinegar. Probably someone would be offended that he said the president is oily and greasy.Bunch of morons!!!!

October 6, 2011 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Angeh

He said (yelling) that our President is the enemy,and that Bohner should not cooperate with him. If that's not offensive I don't know what is. In the words of another famous idiot: "He done goofed!"

You know, as I read through these comments, there is A LOT of selective listening going on here. Those defending H2 don't seem to be able to fully listen to what he actually said. Or they DO, but they want to try to deflect our attention from it. Interesting...

October 6, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |