Overheard on CNN.com: We are responsible citizens!
An Occupy Wall Street protester in New York.
October 7th, 2011

Overheard on CNN.com: We are responsible citizens!

Comments of the morning:

"This is wonderful to see. A non-violent civil war." - Funktologist

"Are you blind? Look around you? Is this the America you want? Do you LIKE seeing 1-in-10 people out of a job? Do you LIKE seeing your neighbors forced to give up their homes?" - ElderPliny

"We have the best government money can buy, and it's all bought." - WolfRayet

Open Story: Occupy Wall Street protests

Protesters across the U.S.: Who are they?

Occupy Wall Street protests are spreading across the country. In response to accusations of being "lazy hippies," diverse CNN.com readers commented in iReport's Open Story about who they are and why they support the protests.

ceejay0214 said, "I am 68 amd I too am mad as hell! I am furious that the media keeps focusing on the tea party. Thank God for a movement that I can embrace. I have felt I have been left in the dark while the whole country embraces this cult-like extremism of this new Republican party. It has turned into a country of the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and our Congress seems to think this is OK."

JLOC26 said, "I was there last night and as a graduate with a Masters degree I can tell you that not everyone marching last night was a 'dirty hippy' as you all are so fond of saying. In fact, the march specifically included unions and families. Are we now against unions in this country? Do families who show up to show there support for a cultural change now fall into the 'dirty hippy' category?"

teacher87 said, "What is with the name calling? I am an older female working in the healthcare industry as well as teaching and I believe the protestors have every right to be there. These protestors are union members, young people and mostly Democrats who want Congress to finally do something to help with jobs. Many of these people have jobs but want to help their neighbors and family members who are not able to find work."

fishngal said, "Many of us are elderly and responsible citizens that are fed up with radical Tea Party politics, governing on social prejudices and beholden to big money interest while the poor get poorer, and nothing is done to assist them in a frustrating financial climate. Yes, we are mad as hell! Better wake up soon big shots! You need us. We are a sleeping lion."

mrshrink said, "I talked to a group of protesters in Colorado Springs over the weekend. They are quick to express that they are bi-partisan. And even if they aren't, while I was there, I heard nothing but shouts of support from each passerby. And statistically, in Colorado Springs, their majority is right of center and probably military. This is far more inclusive than the Tea Party ever was, people."

siss said, "I sympathize with this protest and am middle-age, full-time working, law-abiding and active in my community. It's through this community work that I found out how corporatations bought the policitians and changed the rules so no longer does the common man have a chance to control our own future. I will be participating the Occupy San Diego protest, on my lunch hour!"

spark63105 said, "I'm at work too. Supporting my grown children because they cannot find meaningful work. I support this movement. I see them fight everyday to make it but the game is rigged. I worked hard to get to where I am but I also had a chance. Young people today do not."

ljia said, "I am proud of the young Americans taking up this cause. It reminds me of the anti-Vietnam protest which changed the course. Yes we can with a peaceful movement. Real change, however, comes at the ballot box."

NYYFan1 said, "I work for Morgan Stanley, so naturally, I cannot be a part of this rally; I truly hope, however, this will bring about the demise of the right-wing radical extremists who call themselves the Tea Party. These Tea Party neo-fascists are destroying our nation, tearing it apart piece by piece."

Whazzup1025 said, "I spent my entire career in the tech industry and suddenly one day, I had no jobs at all. But the H1-B visa workers were still working. A law that was meant to fill in the gaps in America not having enough tech workers turned into the tech workers being mostly visa workers. So yeah, I believe in America rising up to put the big guns in their place. It's the big guns who send our jobs elsewhere and sell 'paper dreams' on Wall Street."

60stwice said, "I've been waiting for 2 years for the people to turn to our basic right to public demonstrations & protests. Welcome, grandchildren. Keep up the pressure and the establishment will bend to the rule of the people. Now, where are my flowers...."

Do your views align with these commenters' thoughts? Post a comment below or sound off on video.

1. Portland Tony

AMEN...DREAMER96....AMEN!

October 9, 2011 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  2. Phil in Salinas

Many of us are saying the same thing about one of our nation's problems. Namely, that those that can afford to make large contributions to political campaigns have gained too much influence over our politicians. In the process, we're losing our democracy.

For example, did you know that in order to raise 1 billion dollars, one must raise an average of $685,000 per day, every single day for 4 years? Put another way, that means raising $28,500 every hour on a 24×7 basis for 4 years. And this is the new norm for American presidential campaigns. Regardless of your party affiliation, I think one can agree that this is bad news for democracy.

This is not a partisan issue. It's a patriotic issue.

Running for any national office should not result in representatives indebted to their deep pocket donors. Yet this is the American political reality today regardless of party.

The recent decision by the Supreme Court (Citizens United v. FEC), which allows special interests (corporations, unions, etc.) to make unlimited, anonymous political contributions, looks like another nail in democracy's coffin to many.

Anyway, there is hope in the growing recognition of this problem and in the rise of peaceful protests against it. Our politicians are not going to fix this problem on their own. So the hope is for a peaceful mass uprising of the American people to force the system to change.

The most difficult changes have always started from the ground up in this country, so there is hope.

The corruption that money brings to politics is a simple, non partisan issue. With the right approach, it can be something that unites Americans to bring about positive change. Let’s try to find common ground and try to move forward as a country.

October 9, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Ancient Texan

Could it be be that the Supreme Court decision was to allow a level playing field with the money from Unions buying Liberal cadidates? And the Huge contibutions from George Soros and Moveon. Org.?

October 9, 2011 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Deborah

On Meet the Press this morning, the feelings of the masses were expressed very clearly... the banks took the money they wanted, and then did not choose to do the restructuring of mortgages and financial boosts the PEOPLE (you know, the ones who paid the taxes in the first place) were supposed to be beneficeries of in the first place. We did not want a handout. WE JUST WANTED HELP GETTING A HANDLE ON SURVIVING THE CRISIS.

Obama would be smart to use this new force of disgruntled consumers to create a bipartisan look at what the Wall Street bailout and bank stimulus really accomplished. Question why Americans are so unhappy– both those who voted for him and those that didn't. IF he gets that right, he has a chance to be the leader he was expected to be.

October 9, 2011 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

Unfortunately, we cannot wait for Obama or any other representative to save us or fix the system. Whether you are a democrat or republican, it's time to wake up and realize that our politicians do NOT represent us anymore. Instead, they are all working for the wealthy donors (corporations, unions, super rich Americans, etc) that can afford to contribute millions in campaign donations.

A massive, peaceful uprising is needed in order to force our representatives to change the system. We need millions protesting about the destructive corruption that comes from big money and politics. We're losing our democracy so it's time to change the system.

October 10, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. you forget

The majority of Americans take mind-altering drugs...prescription and otherwise. Trying to appeal to a person under the influence of drugs is like trying to lick a dead horse and expect results. If you desire America's thinking to change for the better, then you desire a drug-free America and must by now recognize that isn't going to happen. The aabove posters recognize that the Meat and Dairy Farmers Assoc. "lobbying" of congress is nothing short of bribery. Otherwise, Congress would have NEVER allowed ranchers to drug their cattle to make them, and US, fatter. The same is true for all of our old foundation laws that have been overturned by Congress and Legislature in recent decades: abortion, sodomy, gay marriage, etc. Laws that have been around forever are getting overturned by the few, with backwards laws replacing them being enforced upon the many, whom themselves are drugged even by their own foods. You can thank bribery of Congress for your 15 yr. old boy growing teets, in other words.

October 9, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. you forget

...if you yourself are one of the 180-plus Americans under the influence of mind-altering drugs, you will consider my above post to be personally offensive to you, and will desire therefor to personally attack me. Many of the reg. bloggers here know me by my words, no matter what s/n I use. The ones who attack my person are the ones under the influence of drugs, too much tv, and ignorance of reality. "The more we stare through the video window, the less relationship there is between where we are[in the stream of time] and what we know[to be true]."-The Impact of Electronic Media on Social Behavior (circa 1985) And look! It's 2011! 🙂

October 9, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. you forget

Correction: 180,000,000 (180 million) Americans under the influence of mind-altering pharmaceuticals. And then you have the ones taking the "war on drugs" drugs to deal with. But few of them are here blogging non-stop every day. Your avg. CNN blogger either has a cushy job that allows them to blog during work hours, or has claimed disabilty and gets drugs at a discount or absolutly free. Kinda politically correct couch potato drug addicts.

October 9, 2011 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Portland Tony

Hey "you forget" I'm not on mind altering drugs but perhaps I should to comprehend some of the idiotic comments made on this blog. Better yet...I should be using them just to understand what's really going on in America today!

October 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Lurker

Only 180 americans are on mind altering drugs? That doesn't seem like so many.

Interested in seeing where you get your information from, since you never cite any sources. Are they all opinions, like this one:
    "Your avg. CNN blogger either has a cushy job that allows them to blog during work hours, or has claimed disabilty and gets drugs at a discount or absolutly free. Kinda politically correct couch potato drug addicts"

Please show me the data from CNN.

And which one are you? Since I see you here all the time also, I'll go out on a limb and say the latter, that you are in some way disabled.

October 9, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Portland Tony

180? Give me a break!

October 9, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. TRUTH FOR ALL AMERICANS

VOICE YOUR OPINIONS BEFORE ITS TOO LATE

October 9, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. THE ONE AND ONLY DRAKOREX1

MY OPINION IS ,PHILIP NO MATTER WHAT YOU CALL YOUR SELF,WE ALL KNOW ITS YOU!CALL YOURSELF CAPT CRUNCH IF YOU LIKE!YOU REPEAT THE SAME STUPID SH!T OVER N OVER N OVER N O V E R.......................GET A LIFE. ARE YOU A MINISTER A FRUITIE PRIEST A TEABAGGER ??? YOU SURE SOUND LIKE IT. CHANGE THE SUBJECT ONE TIME ...... MAYBE JUST MAYBE, PEOPLE WILL TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY. BE FUNNY,BE CALM BE NICER, OH WELL WHAT EVER NEVER MIND ITS TOO LATE TOO MANY MIND ALTERING DRUGS IN YOUR BRAIN. OR ARE THE STARVING CHILDREN STRESSING YOU OUT? NAZI S AND DIAMONDS ? BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.............................................................................

October 10, 2011 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  12. THE ONE AND ONLY DRAKOREX1

THERE YOU GO, I ACUALLY EN JOYED YOUR COMMENT.TAKE MY ADVICE IM NOT OVER EDUCATED , OR A KNOW IT ALL BUT I TRY TO GIVE PEOPLE A LAUGH AND A CHANCE KEEP IT IN MIND.

October 10, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |