October 7th, 2011

Rape claims lead to U.S. military curfews

The United States military has re-instituted a curfew on service members in South Korea after two soldiers have been accused of raping local girls.

One of the cases involves 21-year-old soldier who allegedly broke into a girl's home on September 17, U.S. Forces Korea, said in a statement.

The soldier, who was identified only as "R", is accused of raping the girl and stealing a computer from the home.

Another soldier, identified only as "I" is accused of raping a 18-year-old on September 24, U.S. Forces Korea said. The U.S. military has handed that soldier over to local South Korea authorities.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Military • South Korea
  1. caw

I truly hope these people are dealt to the full extent of the law.

I will say that this is the possible results of ten years of war. When the Military is stretched thin, it becomes harder and harder to retain and recruit good men and women. To keep sufficient numbers the bar has to be lowered for whom you'll accept.

October 7, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike J

Caw:
      Actually the revrse is true. Recruiting quotas have been routinely exceeded by every branch the last few years. There is a waiting list to get into the Marine Corp right now.

October 7, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. pmk1953

Banasy, I think these 2 germs need some lead-based antibiotic applied right between their eyes.

October 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. king kinder

everyone in the military is not a hero. remember, just because they volunteer for service, they are human beings like you or me, with faults and stains to boot.

October 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike J

Well said. Beyond this specific story... When everyone is a hero no one is a hero.

October 7, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. leeintulsa

Let's pull out. Let them r a p e american girls, where we can deal with it

October 7, 2011 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. jordan scene©

What a shame. Like all other cases, I feel that Americans commiting haenous acts should be punished according to the host countries laws to a T. Being American shouldn't count as a foreign get out of jail free card. Let it be a lesson to those who would concider similar idiotic activities. @leeintulsa, alls I can say is lol... If banasy had been here I think that comment would even warrant a *facepalm* 😉

October 7, 2011 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I fully agree, jordan. Wearing a U.S. military uniform should never be used as a licence to committ crimes of any kind in any foreign country. These people need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the laws no matter where they are!

October 8, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. nick

using the term 'allegedly broke into' her room is generous. reports say security cameras at the motel caught it on tape. boggles my mind on how he can claim it was consensual. did she also consent to his taking her laptop?

October 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. RUFFNUTT

Like Joey Isotta-Fraschini already said above, these guys need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. In fact, it doesn't make a terrible amount of sense having these guys over in South Korea in the first place. That country whose name starts with a J is just as capable of defending South Korea as we are and is a lot closer too!!!

October 8, 2011 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. fernace

Raype is such an ugly crime that makes its impact on the victim for years to come! Why do our young men in the armed forces think it's ok to do this, in a nation not their own!? Do they think war erases all culpability? Hopefully they will learn that there are some laws that are international & borders don't mean a thing!!

October 8, 2011 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. rob

I live in Korea and as an American I am ashamed of how the soldiers act at night. I know there are tons of great soldiers but all the bad ones over shadow them. I am glad curfew is back. I can know go out at night and know I won't see a fight or be ashamed of US military.

October 10, 2011 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. lee

im a korean and every night in the streets we see american soldiers shouting the f word and seducing korean females.... america should seriously take care of the soldiers

October 10, 2011 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |