October 9th, 2011

New law makes tanning beds off-limits to most California teens

California Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law Sunday a bill that prohibits most teenagers from getting bronzed in tanning beds, making the Golden State the first to do so.

State Sen. Ted Lieu said he first tried, and failed, in 2007 to make it illegal for people between the ages of 14 and 18 to walk into a facility and use ultraviolet beds to tan. Four years later, his effort finally paid off.

"I feel great," Lieu told CNN of the bill's passage. "I believe it will help save lives and prevent unnecessary suffering."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: California • Health
  1. citizen

The rain in Texas may be just the antidote needed to keep the the financial contagion from spreading out of Europe as the dour sentiment is pervasive.

October 9, 2011 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Amazon Woman

Jerry Brown – what a joke. Amost as bad as Obama. They are 2 reasons California is broke. Dumb & dumber.

October 10, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jj

good blogs tonight. made me laugh and think at the same time 🙂 yes i can actually do that lol buenoS noches coches

October 10, 2011 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. s kel

Amazon Women why dont you lay for 24 hrs in a tanning both so you can be as smart as your fellow repukes.

October 10, 2011 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
    • slider

No she would have to turn into a liberal if she wanted to know everything about everything. She could make fun of everyone else when they have an opinion that wasn't liberal or socolist. She could even look forward to Obama serving another term so he can complete the liberal's dream of America becoming a bankrupt and socolist nation.

October 10, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio)"Right Wing Insanity"

I stopped worrying about a meager $90,000 home in ohio costing $400,000 to build in California. Tanning beds and all the other crap. I don't understand the high cost of living, when it all sits on a fault, which one day will go to pot anyways.

October 10, 2011 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. s kel

Jeff Frank im praying for your sick love one and hope that long drive u make back and forth to hospital is peaceful.

October 10, 2011 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

Good morning, s kel.
    @ gung hoe:
    I didn't know that you had a loved one in the hospital; I missed that. I'm sorry.

October 10, 2011 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joey Isotta-Fraschini

I got up early, studied some music, and got ready to go to the gym.
    Then I realized that I'm really exhausted. I've worked too much for a few weeks, so I'm using ny legitimate "off" day to rest.
    I'm starting with a breakfast of steak and eggs, which I always associate with a hotel where I always stayed in Kansas City when I was twenty-something.
    Then I'm going back to bed.

October 10, 2011 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. s kel

Eat well and get some sleep my friend, and hello to you JIF.

October 10, 2011 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

That's not gung hoe at 11:40. Gung hoe doesn't use puntctuation.

October 10, 2011 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  11. jimmy

They just want the kids in california to not look like the orange kids on jersey shore.

October 10, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  12. Only fools

@slider. Ummm, the 'liberals' know that there were crooked men driving this economy down befor President Obama was elected. They also notice that he has done nothing to secure our borders, just like fmr. President Bush didn't. A terrorist could still just disquise himself as an illegal Mexican and walk righ in if he wanted to. The point is, not even 'liberals' have been fooled by Obama, and only fools were fooled by Bush. (take your pick what bush) And we all know about camoaign promises being lies. 🙂

October 10, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. Illegal's are still allowed

If a Californio were to deny an illegal Mexican access to a tanning bed, the Californio would be labeled as an racist rather than being saluted as a law-abiding American citizen.

October 10, 2011 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  14. ill

"The US Indoor Tanning Association told the Associated Press that under 18s made up between 5% to 10% of its customers and the new law would hurt businesses."

WHO GIVES A FUDGE!?!?

October 10, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. @ ill

Exactly. That's part of the problem. Very few "give a fudge' these days. They just eat chocolate fudge imported from Africa (our main source of chocolate)...and so much of it they are now nationwide! obesity epidemic. No way in hello an obese person "gives a fudge" about African children starving.

October 10, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |